5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 5.7 and for the life of me can’t get anything better than 13-14mpg. I bought it used but have done all the maintenance I can think of to help improve MPG’s. It has the stock 20’s with 33” nitto grapplers. Stock everything besides a muffle and resenator delete. Air pressure in tires are correct. Also has a bed cover.

PLEASE HELP!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you hand calculating or using the dash display? Dash display isn't accurate. But just so you know, that's about right for these trucks depending on the options you have. I hit 19 once on a long trip, but 14 to 17 is the norm.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have the 5.7 and for the life of me can’t get anything better than 13-14mpg. I bought it used but have done all the maintenance I can think of to help improve MPG’s. It has the stock 20’s with 33” nitto grapplers. Stock everything besides a muffle and resenator delete. Air pressure in tires are correct. Also has a bed cover.

PLEASE HELP!
read this thread

also for the rest of you I am popping the corn!:)

Dewey

Reaction score
Shoulda got 3.21’s😆

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

I would say your likely not real far off this time of the year with those tires. Best I see is in warmer summer temps when I average 17-18. Late fall-late spring I easily drop 2-3 mpg. Very few get the rated MPG on the sticker unless driving perfect conditions at a lower to moderate highway speed. Seems like 55 mph is the sweet spot which I NEVER drive at.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shoulda got 3.21’s😆

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

I would say you’re likely not real far off this time of the year with those tires. Best I see is in warmer summer temps when I average 17-18. Late fall-late spring I easily drop 2-3 mpg. Very few get the rated MPG on the sticker unless driving perfect conditions at a lower to moderate highway speed. Seems like 55 mph is the sweet spot which I NEVER drive at.
After reading the thread linked some with the 3.21 got 3.92 MPG’s

I guess these big girls stay thirsty.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you hand calculating or using the dash display? Dash display isn't accurate. But just so you know, that's about right for these trucks depending on the options you have. I hit 19 once on a long trip, but 14 to 17 is the norm.
Yea seems like general consensus says That’s normal. 90% city driving and every hwy around me has construction going on.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
33" tires, yeah, that's about right.

If you take it really easy with the throttle, you could squeeze out some mpg. Best bet is to get some smaller street tires, you can get another 3-4 mpg just by doing that, but not as cool as your current setup.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Are you taking into consideration the idle time when remote starting?

Not sure if you have remote start or not but I know I tend to leave my truck running after remote start. Kills the mpg.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If he is just using the truck display, there is a good chance his actual MPG is worse. Not once have I ever gotten better mileage hand calculating than what the EVIC displayed. It is always worse.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

PLEASE HELP!
Have to had the computer updated for the correct tire size? Does your speedometer match GPS speed?

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have gotten better mileage hand calculated than the truck computer and have had worse but usually within .5 to 1mpg. But you bought it used and you should check your speed against a GPS app. It may have never been corrected for the tire size. Is the truck leveled or lifted? This can cause extra drag. I personally have 3.92 gears and am leveled with 34" tire and average 16-17 right now with about 70% highway at 70-80 mph. I will get a little better once it warms up. I also have the Diablo sport 87 octane tune.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2/1 lift, 35x12.50 tires, and a heavy off-road front bumper. Currently average 13-14mpg daily driving, can get 16mpg all freeway. That's hand calculated, and have corrected computer for tire size.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
tons of threads on this. If your tires are load range E or F that will hurt it. Also try to limit remote starting and idling for long periods of time. Set the cruise when you can.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have gotten better mileage hand calculated than the truck computer and have had worse but usually within .5 to 1mpg. But you bought it used and you should check your speed against a GPS app. It may have never been corrected for the tire size. Is the truck leveled or lifted? This can cause extra drag. I personally have 3.92 gears and am leveled with 34" tire and average 16-17 right now with about 70% highway at 70-80 mph. I will get a little better once it warms up. I also have the Diablo sport 87 octane tune.
I have not corrected the tire size with Alfaobd yet. I am leveled w/ 33’s

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You’ll definitely have to hand calculate then. I never did mine either. Have 33s also. What is the load range of your tires?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Winter blend fuel also won’t help your mileage. You should see a small uptick as they switch to summer blends.

silver billet

Reaction score
tons of threads on this. If your tires are load range E or F that will hurt it. Also try to limit remote starting and idling for long periods of time. Set the cruise when you can.

Agree with this except for use of cruise. CC (at least the standard one) has one goal: keep your truck at one speed at all costs, so it has no problem digging into the throttle as you go up minor hills and dips. If you coast and bleed off a little speed as you go up hills you can do better than cruise.

The more lazy and laid back you are with the gas, the better your MPG will be.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If he is just using the truck display, there is a good chance his actual MPG is worse. Not once have I ever gotten better mileage hand calculating than what the EVIC displayed. It is always worse.
Mine is always .3 mpg vs actual. My actual is always BETTER then the screen.
Well that's a problem
You’ll definitely have to hand calculate then. I never did mine either. Have 33s also.
He can't hand calculate, because his odometer is going to be wrong

Need to adjust your tire size in your truck or you are not going to get accurate numbers. Also bigger tires means terrible mpg.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Well that's a problem

Need to adjust your tire size in your truck or you are not going to get accurate numbers. Also bigger tires means terrible mpg.
True. My bad

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Well that's a problem

You do realize you can calculate actual miles driving based on error percentage of the tire size when doing hand calculating

Users who are viewing this thread