5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
agree not fun at all, did the same thing last week only city - around 12.5-13.5
did a reset for a 50 mile all highway over the weekend - did 20 mpg on the way there and 18-19 on the way back. Kept it at speeds 65-70 mostly
sticker window 17 city and 22 highway.
I feel good about the highway mpg, city mpg it is what it is - disappointed to a point because I was expecting an improvement from my 4th gen and with the etorque but I think I knew it was gonna turn out this way - plus its like I can't keep my foot off

I suspected with with my 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle of the Rebel, that no way was it going to match the "blanket stated" mpg rating that FCA plastered on all RAM 1500 trims regardless of trims, axle ratios or tire sizes. But at near 15 mpg if I took it easy, that's not too bad.

However, it's my highway mpg that sucks for me, not because I can't get reach it if I take it easy,, but because I refuse to drive in the slow lanes to drive at those speeds. I know if I do, I will get my windshield hit by rocks. Historically, anytime I drive in the two slower lanes, I will get a rock chip on the windshield, so I keep at 75 mph or higher to stay in the two fastest lanes and avoid any windshield hits. I use more fuel, but rather not deal with unsightly windshield nicks or replacement.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
@ferraiolo1

View attachment 129598

e69de82b-bbf1-4dda-9ce3-2c0840ee529d_text.gif

Hey you do have a real trip screen!

Now leave it there for a week or so of normal driving ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
Hey you do have a real trip screen!

Now leave it there for a week or so of normal driving ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah no kidding. Lets see something longer than 10-20 miles. Next town over I can average over 30 mpg because much of the 10 mile drive is downhill. Easy to fudge the numbers on a very short trip. 2-300 miles would be ideal.

The other day I had a stiff tailwind for one mile downhill and almost broke my MPG screen. 😆

98349ACF-37E9-4013-AD20-6DD06EED1405.jpeg

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, I don't know that I'll ever get even 100 consecutive miles on my truck without a camper behind it. I use my truck for more than trips to the avocado farm on the weekends.

Second, I live on the beach in Florida we don't have hills, let alone 10 miles of them.

You 3.21 apologists are amusing. Bragging about...fuel economy. Meanwhile, I'm over here getting 24 city and 37 highway and I can still tow more than your minivans.

Just admit that you didn't know better gearing was an option and move on.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah no kidding. Lets see something longer than 10-20 miles. Next town over I can average over 30 mpg because much of the 10 mile drive is downhill. Easy to fudge the numbers on a very short trip. 2-300 miles would be ideal.

The other day I had a stiff tailwind for one mile downhill and almost broke my MPG screen. 😆

View attachment 129605
Too late.

3.92s didn't need the weather or terrain to bail em out, either.

Dewey

Reaction score
First, I don't know that I'll ever get even 100 consecutive miles on my truck without a camper behind it. I use my truck for more than trips to the avocado farm on the weekends.

Second, I live on the beach in Florida we don't have hills, let alone 10 miles of them.

You 3.21 apologists are amusing. Bragging about...fuel economy. Meanwhile, I'm over here getting 24 city and 37 highway and I can still tow more than your minivans.

Nah…..we’re just having fun at your expense. 😆

I could careless who has what gear.

spyder

Reaction score
I just got back from a ~1,200 mile road trip from outside of Sacramento, CA to near Pendleton, OR. Several mountain passes of 3, 4, 6k feet for elevation changes, and probably 1,000 lbs of gear in the bed and two people in the truck, with the back seat full of camping gear. 87 octane fuel, 21 hours of total driving, usually at speeds between 65 and 77 mph. Computer showed 18.0mpg for the entire trip, and hand calculated showed 17.5
Before coming back in to CA and stepping the speed up to 77, I was showing 19.6mpg for a lot of the trip. (Oregon has ridiculously low speed limits, so most of it was 65-68mph driving)
2021 Rebel with 10k miles on it and no aftermarket anything.

Better than I expected, and I'm happy with it.

Islander

Reaction score
Barely broken in at 320 miles, I am getting 13.5mpg avg, short trips at city speeds...hopefully can get to 15-16mpg at low speeds once broken in more...5.7L etorque, 3.92, no towing/ hauling and autostop turned off. Mind you I have been having fun with the gas pedal :) and also trying out the 4wd drive and rear locker on some dirt roads and sand so that would also explain my mpg at this point I suppose. I really like the rear locker.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Avocado farm? Better get my 12-plys ready.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Just put 510 miles on my truck
my gas mileage is only 12.6 mpg
sure hope it gets better.
anyone have any comments???
Next time you go riding out, verify your speedometer accuracy by using a gps app on your phone. If you are off on your speedo, you will be off on you mpgs as well (even hand calculated). Not saying this is your issue but it could be.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
$1.85 gas, I think I saw that price back in the early 2000s, that would be awesome. I would be pretty happy with $3.50, what I was paying a year ago instead of nearly $6 a gallon now.

I did live in Europe a while, where $5-$6 for comparable US gallon of gas was normal, closer to $10 now over there, now that would suck!

These prices are going to be here a while, the bottle neck right now is refinery capacity, they are switching to diesel production to catch up with demand and profit margin, so gas is going to stay high even if oil barrel prices drop.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
$1.85 gas, I think I saw that price back in the early 2000s, that would be awesome. I would be pretty happy with $3.50, what I was paying a year ago instead of nearly $6 a gallon now.

I did live in Europe a while, where $5-$6 for comparable US gallon of gas was normal, closer to $10 now over there, now that would suck!

These prices are going to be here a while, the bottle neck right now is refinery capacity, they are switching to diesel production to catch up with demand and profit margin, so gas is going to stay high even if oil barrel prices drop.
$3.50 a year ago? What country are you in?

Oh. I see. Commiefornia. I'm sorry man. You're in my prayers.

Users who are viewing this thread