5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage

mysticbus

Reaction score
2022 E-Torque Laramie 4x4 here. about to hit 1000 miles. In town driving really easy, letting the auto stop start do it's thing, I am averaging about 15-16mpg.
Hooking up my 3500lb Sol Horizon trailer and hitting the interstate highway at 65-70 seems to get me about 10.5mpg.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lost some MPGs with my new tires. Same tires just new ones. The new ones are stickier than the old (almost) bald ones and the truck struggles to get into MDS at cruising speed compared to a month ago with the lower rolling resistance of the older/harder tires where it would kick on a lot of the time.

I'm down in the mid-14s now (comared to mid-15s) but it's a lot safer to drive. (y)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya my fuel economy isn't very good right now either. The dash is showing 11mpg for this tank of fuel. It's -15°F here and has been for a couple days. Brand new truck (300 miles), idling to warm up, and the simple fact it's COLD outside. The Ram runs longer for each remote start cycle than my Sierra did. It all factors in.
This is big. When you let the truck idle for 10-15 minutes to warm up each and every time that's going to take a lot of gas out of your tank. The difference tank to tank for me if we have a stretch of cold weather and I remote start the truck several times compared to when I don't is probably 1.5-2 MPG's. Just think if, over the course of a tank of gas, you sat at red lights not moving for an extra 2 hours (8-12 warm ups).

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck was delivered at the start of December last year, so I don't have any warm weather fuel economy to report. I can say, I have hand calculated the average at every fuel up, and am averaging close to 17mpg, that is with remote starts in the morning too.

Dominick

Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel with 5.7 Etorque, 392 gears, currently 3300 miles on it, averages no better than 16.5. 50% city, 50% Highway. Awful! I have been driving it extremely conservative to see what I could squeeze out of it. On an hour and a half trip on the highway, the best it reached was 18.6. I drove my 2017 Ram 5.7 HARD and would average 17.5. As far as I'm concerned, the Etorque is a total scam! Its supposed to get you 1 mpg more than the regular 5.7. The etorque option is $2295. If you drive 15K miles per year and get 1 more mpg, it would take 13.5 years to recoup the cost of the etorque option based on todays gas prices!
My 2018 BigHorn had 321 gears and constantly got 19-22MPG, but my 21 Rebel with eTorque and 392 gears only gets 13-15. If I milk it, I can get 16.1.

Maccam

Reaction score
Ya my fuel economy isn't very good right now either. The dash is showing 11mpg for this tank of fuel. It's -15°F here and has been for a couple days. Brand new truck (300 miles), idling to warm up, and the simple fact it's COLD outside. The Ram runs longer for each remote start cycle than my Sierra did. It all factors in.
where are you??
yes,it runs on remote longer than my silverado did

tech97elec

Reaction score
My 2022 Rebel with 5.7 Etorque, 392 gears, currently 3300 miles on it, averages no better than 16.5. 50% city, 50% Highway. Awful! I have been driving it extremely conservative to see what I could squeeze out of it. On an hour and a half trip on the highway, the best it reached was 18.6. I drove my 2017 Ram 5.7 HARD and would average 17.5. As far as I'm concerned, the Etorque is a total scam! Its supposed to get you 1 mpg more than the regular 5.7. The etorque option is $2295. If you drive 15K miles per year and get 1 more mpg, it would take 13.5 years to recoup the cost of the etorque option based on todays gas prices!
Yep. Agree. Almost all highway and cant hit 17 mpg with an east foot, 3.92 gear. Hoping it gets to 18 0r 19 after breakin, only 2400 miles. My Nissan NV2500 loaded down gets 17.5 w 5.6 ltr

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, while we are beating the crap out of rehashed subjects, I thought I would bring this one back.

I reset my dash prior to a recent road trip. This took us from Northern VA to AL back up through TN to home. The trip down consisted of interstate travel the length of VA then I set the GPS to avoid highways through TN and AL. Picked up interstate in Knoxville back to Northern VA.

There was a lot of idle time on the trip and plenty of small town driving (had to laugh when we hit the one town that had a single trafic light but it was broken). I started with a full tank of 15% ethanol from sheetz but it was not popular on my route so I used 87 regular (my truck runs properly and has the right gearing to not lug the motor so it does not knock and ping like some out of tune junk truck, this allows regular use of 87 like the manual says the motor is designed to run on).

20220514_122450.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I recently decided to drive like I didn't have an aftermarket exhaust. Meaning not occasionally giving a little more throttle to hear that sound, while also taking it really easy and lifting and coasting whenever possible and allowing MDS to operate. Not exactly hypermiling, but close. The main difference compared to hypermiling is that I didn't accelerate so slow that I pissed off anyone behind me.

My mostly city mpg jumped from 12.5 mpg to 14.7 mpg. But that type of driving isn't fun, but on a 30 mile drive at current gas prices, it did save me $2.00. Not a big deal, but also not inconsequential.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah when I have my pedal commander set to max it eats a bit more fuel. But it’s far more fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my truck at MD end of January and never reset the mileage calculator. I was getting 14.2 with a combination of break in miles, having a little fun and about 40% Hwy 60% city. Last weekend (2,200 miles on the odometer) I took a 300 mile trip with about 90% Hwy and 10% city. Got 20.3 mpg. Happy with that!!

Never expected to get great mileage with any full size truck! I turned off the "Average MPG" on the dash and I'm not going to worry about it any more. It is what it is!!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I got 5.8mpg better on similar trip through similar conditions about the same distance.

3.21>3.92 for mpgs ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea but the kid down the street from me has bigger tires and lift on his little electric toy truck than what you are running to get the extra 5.8. So there is that. 😎

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently decided to drive like I didn't have an aftermarket exhaust. Meaning not occasionally giving a little more throttle to hear that sound, while also taking it really easy and lifting and coasting whenever possible and allowing MDS to operate. Not exactly hypermiling, but close. The main difference compared to hypermiling is that I didn't accelerate so slow that I pissed off anyone behind me.

My mostly city mpg jumped from 12.5 mpg to 14.7 mpg. But that type of driving isn't fun, but on a 30 mile drive at current gas prices, it did save me $2.00. Not a big deal, but also not inconsequential.
agree not fun at all, did the same thing last week only city - around 12.5-13.5
did a reset for a 50 mile all highway over the weekend - did 20 mpg on the way there and 18-19 on the way back. Kept it at speeds 65-70 mostly
sticker window 17 city and 22 highway.
I feel good about the highway mpg, city mpg it is what it is - disappointed to a point because I was expecting an improvement from my 4th gen and with the etorque but I think I knew it was gonna turn out this way - plus its like I can't keep my foot off

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@ferraiolo1

20220516_133625.jpg

e69de82b-bbf1-4dda-9ce3-2c0840ee529d_text.gif

Users who are viewing this thread