5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Suspension Levelling Kit Parts

Groffer

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a 2" leveling kit to the front of my 2021 Laramie (non-air-ride) and I've seen many different suggestions on how to do it.

I've read the spacers typically increase wear and reduce ride quality, so I'm going to upgrade the strut instead. I like the Rough Country M1s, has anyone installed them before? Also, is there anything else I should be upgrading to help keep the amount of wear down on the front suspension such as a new control arm?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do the UCA's as well. The M1 spec like the Bilstein 5100's. I've seen good reviews and better than the N3 Twintube.

Bilstein, Eibach or Fox are other great choices as well.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Bilstein 5100s, new UCAs from Mopar from their 2" level kit, and SuspensionMaxx sway bar end links. I also just purchased the beefier spring compressors to make the job less sketchy when replacing the strut. I wasn't concerned about owning my own compressors since I've done many replacement springs on Mustangs, VW Golfs and other cars in the past, so now I no longer need to barrow sketchy compressors from the parts store.

Groffer

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Bilstein 5100s, new UCAs from Mopar from their 2" level kit, and SuspensionMaxx sway bar end links. I also just purchased the beefier spring compressors to make the job less sketchy when replacing the strut. I wasn't concerned about owning my own compressors since I've done many replacement springs on Mustangs, VW Golfs and other cars in the past, so now I no longer need to barrow sketchy compressors from the parts store.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably run with the Bilsten 5100s after everyone's recommendation. Has the ride quality changed at all after you got them installed?

Groffer

Reaction score
I would do the UCA's as well. The M1 spec like the Bilstein 5100's. I've seen good reviews and better than the N3 Twintube.

Bilstein, Eibach or Fox are other great choices as well.
RC is junk. You can have the Bilstein or Eibach for the same money.
Thanks for the heads up, I've decided to go with the Bilstein 5100s on this. Have either of you had experience with ride quality on them?

Poundfoolish_ZA

Reaction score
Just fiited 5100s over the weekend. I already have the off road group which is said to be a bit stiffer already. But I cant say I notice anything negative with regards to the ride quaility.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m totally happy with my RC 2” struts. RC has improved in recent years compared to when they started. I’m on my second set of 2” struts, first set being on my 4th gen. Had zero issues with them at all. And the best part is that they are easily installed. Not having to reuse your factory spring and deal with the spring compressor is a plus. Easy 1 for 1 swap install.

Now full disclosure, I have zero experience with Bilstein 5100’s. I did just get a set of them for a price I couldn’t refuse (BNIB), but only because they came with a package deal. I may or may not install them. I am curious as to how different they are compared to RC. At least then I’ll have first hand experience of both and can give a true experience review.

Groffer

Reaction score
Just fiited 5100s over the weekend. I already have the off road group which is said to be a bit stiffer already. But I cant say I notice anything negative with regards to the ride quaility.
I've read some good things about the ride quality too. I'd like to get 34s on there sometime but I'll still have the ~31.5s (whatever stock is in Imperial lol) on there for a while. I was concerned about the tire looking too small but I think it looks fine from the ones that I've seen

Groffer

Reaction score
I’m totally happy with my RC 2” struts. RC has improved in recent years compared to when they started. I’m on my second set of 2” struts, first set being on my 4th gen. Had zero issues with them at all. And the best part is that they are easily installed. Not having to reuse your factory spring and deal with the spring compressor is a plus. Easy 1 for 1 swap install.

Now full disclosure, I have zero experience with Bilstein 5100’s. I did just get a set of them for a price I couldn’t refuse (BNIB), but only because they came with a package deal. I may or may not install them. I am curious as to how different they are compared to RC. At least then I’ll have first hand experience of both and can give a true experience review.
That was a big selling point for me, not having to mess with compressing the old spring and removing it so I'm still debating it. I saw you had the 285/65 R20s on there, do they rub at all? I was looking at getting that same size at some point.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They only rubbed in full lock WITH Husky front mud flaps installed. I removed the Huskies and the tires clear the factory mud flaps no problems.

I went with RC for the ease of install and good prior 4th gen 2” strut experience. I ran RC products over the years on previous Jeep TJ, YJ and XJ. The new RC products are much better quality IMO. Plus they have great customer service and a 3 year warranty. They firmed up the front suspension a bit for the better. But not too stiff by any means. And that’s with LT tires set at 40PSI. It was worth a shot and I’m very happy so far. I have about 7k miles on them so far and am still very pleased. IMG_0164.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9786.jpeg
    IMG_9786.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9656.jpeg
    IMG_9656.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9470.jpeg
    IMG_9470.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9469.jpeg
    IMG_9469.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9540.jpeg
    IMG_9540.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 22

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I've decided to go with the Bilstein 5100s on this. Have either of you had experience with ride quality on them?
I've had them on two different trucks. You'll appreciate them.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
glad you made good choices!
5100s are fine for street and occasional offroad use. had them on a different rig before and it was fine for street driving with better handling through corners due to they are stiffer, you'll still have some body roll (but definitely better than stock). You will feel slightly more road imperfections as well, but it nothing like a race car.

overall, for a beginner/ budget setup, they are good enough.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was a big selling point for me, not having to mess with compressing the old spring and removing it so I'm still debating it. I saw you had the 285/65 R20s on there, do they rub at all? I was looking at getting that same size at some point.
I've ran 5100's and 6112's with both being good, but 6112's be slightly better because they're rated for the exact coil. I've seen others that have used 5100's and went to M1 claim the same good ride. I was considering the RC 3.5 w/ M1 upgrade, but bit the bullet for BDS 3" w/ Fox 2.5 to check out all the hype, plus they're adjustable. I was also looking for ease of install instead of replacing new strut mounts and other things since I have over 80K miles. RC has come a long way from years ago.

detroitm2

Reaction score
With a good quality spring compressor tool, its really easy to unload/reload. I have one of these that I used for my other vehicles and its worked great

notaramowner

Reaction score
Did your 5100s come with the adapter ring that used to be used on non-off-road package trucks? I bought some and they did not come with that adapter ring I have seen talked about previously. The instructions also made no mention of it.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Mine did not, came with spring seat , cap, and nut

Users who are viewing this thread