5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

BostonBLS

Reaction score
When mounting this on the bumper if you use a lightweight metal and it bends, will your bumper not bend with it?
It could. This isn’t supposed to be a hardcore off-road bumper. Just protection for road debris for those who have removed the air dam.

Any front skid plate will require removal of the active air dam? I really hate to remove it.
see above this is for those who have removed the air dam.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any front skid plate will require removal of the active air dam? I really hate to remove it.
2 things to consider; you can’t see it outside the truck when it’s not moving, and no one has had any measurable change in mpg. It can be removed properly without a check engine light as well, check other threads for specifics.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know it can be removed without fault, but may cause an mpg hit. Would be nice to keep the aad and have engine protection imo

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was getting about 20 mpg lately.
I removed both my lower air dams for some front end painting….
subjectively, i was driving the same as before but my avg mpg dropped about 1.5 mpg.
Drove it for two weeks like that. Consistent results…
put dams back on thurdsay. Friday mpg went back up to 20.
your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

cervelo15

Reaction score
I know it can be removed without fault, but may cause an mpg hit. Would be nice to keep the aad and have engine protection imo
I took mine off and have been hovering around 17mpg in town. I also drive like an old man. Have a trip on Thanksgiving to Delaware which is 95% highway. I've got it up over 20 on the trip before, so curious to see what this will be sans AAD. Also will have new set of bigger tires on, so this might not be a great test.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Yes.. i dont see any possible way to keep the active air dam with a front skid plate. Its a big bar/motor/mounts/linkage/fairing setup. Mine took a mpg or two hit at 70 removing it, but the factory bumper is tin foil..

scuba

Reaction score
Have you seen how low the water separator is on the ecodiesel? My 2016 was up under the drive shaft. Now it's level with the skid plates.I took a hit this weekend from a small tree branch on a snow covered logging road breaking the fuel line. Had to get towed home.

I see that my fuel take has some skid plate to a felt like piece back to skid.

Oh yeah would of been nice to know about that neutral lever by the brake. Instead of that little button on the dial. Had to YouTube it while waiting for the tow truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Any update Shifts and Grins?
Im going to have a local shop make an aluminum one I guess.
I would honestly like a plastic splash guard type of material, but understand its more difficult to make.

I have to look again, but I might see if I can use the 4 bolts the active air dam was attached too as mounting points. Maybe instead of the front bumper, but that might not work out.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Any update Shifts and Grins?
Im going to have a local shop make an aluminum one I guess.
I would honestly like a plastic splash guard type of material, but understand its more difficult to make.

I have to look again, but I might see if I can use the 4 bolts the active air dam was attached too as mounting points. Maybe instead of the front bumper, but that might not work out.
We have been absolutely slammed and haven’t been able to make the time to get a truck in with the active air dam to play with it yet. Sorry. It’s been crazy.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If @Shifts And Grins Fab would build one I’d be very interested. I talked to an off-road company and they said they’d make me one for $300 which is well worth it to me but it’s a far drive and it’ll be custom so they might need to keep my truck overnight :/ this is what I’m wanting. A tube mounted on the bumper and then the skid plate mounted to that. And I’d like it to have some kind of sides on it for side protection as well. And since he has access to a CNC it would be nice to have some kind of cutout on the bottom for water and debris to drain out of the skid plate instead of getting trapped in there. Here’s the photoshop of what I want haha 5115F6FF-9396-43FC-9951-5DBC0E78C8A9.jpeg

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
If @Shifts And Grins Fab would build one I’d be very interested. I talked to an off-road company and they said they’d make me one for $300 which is well worth it to me but it’s a far drive and it’ll be custom so they might need to keep my truck overnight :/ this is what I’m wanting. A tube mounted on the bumper and then the skid plate mounted to that. And I’d like it to have some kind of sides on it for side protection as well. And since he has access to a CNC it would be nice to have some kind of cutout on the bottom for water and debris to drain out of the skid plate instead of getting trapped in there. Here’s the photoshop of what I want haha View attachment 115533
$300 is a great deal especially if the steel portions are powder coated. We certainly want to make one it is a matter of getting a 5th Gen Rebel and non Rebel in to see if one design can work for both or if it will require two different designs. Next time we get both of those trucks in I'll have my guy 3D scan them both so we can get something rolling.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
$300 is a great deal especially if the steel portions are powder coated. We certainly want to make one it is a matter of getting a 5th Gen Rebel and non Rebel in to see if one design can work for both or if it will require two different designs. Next time we get both of those trucks in I'll have my guy 3D scan them both so we can get something rolling.
I don’t think that was including powder coat but I didn’t want it powder coated anyway actually. I agree it seemed like a great deal though!
Sounds good, I hope it’s soon! It really completes the whole “look” I’m going for on my truck!

KingTekken

Reaction score
That is likely what we will do. It may be just two options (aluminum or steel) but I think two options could work great and cover more peoples needs.
I am new to the forum as of today, happy to be a part of this discussion 5th-genners. Did this fab project ever go into production? I would like to make a purchase. Thanks everyone.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I am new to the forum as of today, happy to be a part of this discussion 5th-genners. Did this fab project ever go into production? I would like to make a purchase. Thanks everyone.
We have not got this one in to production. It's still on the list of things to prototype and produce but we have been slammed and have not been able to move forward with it just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread