5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think that was including powder coat but I didn’t want it powder coated anyway actually. I agree it seemed like a great deal though!
Sounds good, I hope it’s soon! It really completes the whole “look” I’m going for on my truck!
Not to derail this thread, but @Mclovinnnnn, did you post anything about your light install? It looks awesome.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not to derail this thread, but @Mclovinnnnn, did you post anything about your light install? It looks awesome.
Thanks man! I’ve never done a write up or anything because it’s very simple! I just cut holes out of the grill with a sanding bit on my dremel and then mounted the lights via U brackets that essentially just hold the bezel of the light tight against the grill! Super sturdy and easy. ONLY downside to this is the lights aim down quite a bit because they fit 100% flush against that grill and the grill itself is aimed down (even though it looks straight).

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
We have a bracket set that allows you to mount a 30" light bar behind that grill. There is enough adjustment that you should be able to mount one flush with the grill as well if you were to cut out a section. We are a Diode Dynamics Dealer now and I know they have some light bars that use pods lights. I'll have to see if any of those would work for that location.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
We have a bracket set that allows you to mount a 30" light bar behind that grill. There is enough adjustment that you should be able to mount one flush with the grill as well if you were to cut out a section. We are a Diode Dynamics Dealer now and I know they have some light bars that use pods lights. I'll have to see if any of those would work for that location.
I’d be interested in that!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @Mclovinnnnn and @Shifts And Grins Fab... I'm interested in doing "something", but not sure what direction to go. Mclovinnnnn's take was one I hadn't seen before and looks really cool. But a good light bar set up probably makes more sense.

Anyway... back to our regular schedule program...

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’d be interested in that!
Width wise they have one that will work that links 5x 5" light pods together. I'll have to do some measuring and testing to make sure the height will work. I don't think they would work as a flush fit but I think they may work behind that bumper grill.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Width wise they have one that will work that links 5x 5" light pods together. I'll have to do some measuring and testing to make sure the height will work. I don't think they would work as a flush fit but I think they may work behind that bumper grill.
Hmm okay. If I saw the mount I’d probably be able to tell if it would work for my application or not! Will it work with 3” lights? Because that’s what I have and that’s the biggest that will shine from behind the grill too

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Update for everyone interested in a skid plate. I finally had one made today for my truck and it turned out pretty sweet in my opinion! Tried to make it as noticeable as possible up front without making it look goofy from the side. The plan is to paint the tubes black and polish the aluminum plate. It is completely bolt on (bolts to the cross member and to the frame). This is with about a 6 inch lift, so naturally if your truck is lifted less then the skid plate would look even flatter. What do you guys think? BB972357-C4EF-4096-AA6A-45AAF52F4742.jpeg 1F324A6F-FB81-48B1-95D2-F8637B87C86C.jpeg 018A5330-2A26-40B5-AB15-F7C32F4E1F92.jpeg D12E577F-98AE-4691-ADF3-AA6555B21C21.jpeg 305BA92D-E9AC-4933-B768-6C3C5EE7EC3D.jpeg DB903ED3-4463-40BF-B5D7-34C6C660EAFB.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update for everyone interested in a skid plate. I finally had one made today for my truck and it turned out pretty sweet in my opinion! Tried to make it as noticeable as possible up front without making it look goofy from the side. The plan is to paint the tubes black and polish the aluminum plate. It is completely bolt on (bolts to the cross member and to the frame). This is with about a 6 inch lift, so naturally if your truck is lifted less then the skid plate would look even flatter. What do you guys think? View attachment 123181 View attachment 123182 View attachment 123183 View attachment 123184 View attachment 123185 View attachment 123186
i like it if only i could make this also lol

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I think some sort of lightweight skid would be popular and awesome. I am welding up aluminum bumpers for a Ford Ranger right now. They are superlight and turning out pretty awesome. As far as skids from the bumper to the crossmember on the Ram trucks, it would require several different models which sucks from a manufacturing standpoint. Even within different trim level trucks you'd have to have different models for stock height, 3" lift, 6" etc. as far as the skids go. I'm going to have to get a larger sample size of different trim level trucks and different ride heights to see the best way to tackle it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think some sort of lightweight skid would be popular and awesome. I am welding up aluminum bumpers for a Ford Ranger right now. They are superlight and turning out pretty awesome. As far as skids from the bumper to the crossmember on the Ram trucks, it would require several different models which sucks from a manufacturing standpoint. Even within different trim level trucks you'd have to have different models for stock height, 3" lift, 6" etc. as far as the skids go. I'm going to have to get a larger sample size of different trim level trucks and different ride heights to see the best way to tackle it.
I agree. I’d even like a plastic one like most vehicles have. Would be better than nothing

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Update for everyone interested in a skid plate. I finally had one made today for my truck and it turned out pretty sweet in my opinion! Tried to make it as noticeable as possible up front without making it look goofy from the side. The plan is to paint the tubes black and polish the aluminum plate. It is completely bolt on (bolts to the cross member and to the frame). This is with about a 6 inch lift, so naturally if your truck is lifted less then the skid plate would look even flatter. What do you guys think? View attachment 123181 View attachment 123182 View attachment 123183 View attachment 123184 View attachment 123185 View attachment 123186
That looks great. On my night edition Rebel I would paint it in black bed liner paint.

2020SD

Reaction score
I think some sort of lightweight skid would be popular and awesome. I am welding up aluminum bumpers for a Ford Ranger right now. They are superlight and turning out pretty awesome. As far as skids from the bumper to the crossmember on the Ram trucks, it would require several different models which sucks from a manufacturing standpoint. Even within different trim level trucks you'd have to have different models for stock height, 3" lift, 6" etc. as far as the skids go. I'm going to have to get a larger sample size of different trim level trucks and different ride heights to see the best way to tackle

At what point do you quit talking about making one and actually do it? People get it, You are BUSY , but at this point you have made more excuses then skid plates.

scuba

Reaction score
That looks great. That 6" lift looks nice. So know I have to decide on skid plate or lift.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread