5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
At what point do you quit talking about making one and actually do it? People get it, You are BUSY , but at this point you have made more excuses then skid plates.
No excuses. We will make something as soon as we can. We also won't release something prematurely to appease anyone. When we do it, it will make sense to the customer and us. If it doesn't make sense for both we won't be in business long and will back to square one which is nobody making stuff for Ram trucks. If you have a better option feel free to go that route. Ask our customers who have purchased from us and I think you will see that we don't sacrifice quality and we bring the best products possible to market for Ram community. I'm sorry if that doesn't appease you.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Update for everyone interested in a skid plate. I finally had one made today for my truck and it turned out pretty sweet in my opinion! Tried to make it as noticeable as possible up front without making it look goofy from the side. The plan is to paint the tubes black and polish the aluminum plate. It is completely bolt on (bolts to the cross member and to the frame). This is with about a 6 inch lift, so naturally if your truck is lifted less then the skid plate would look even flatter. What do you guys think? View attachment 123181 View attachment 123182 View attachment 123183 View attachment 123184 View attachment 123185 View attachment 123186
That looks really good. By the way, your buddy did a great job!

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Is anyone selling skid plates yet or CAD designs for one?
After looking more and more at this, we are probably going to tap out. It isn't a super hard build but from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense. It will require multiple different variations depending on trim level of truck and if the truck is lifted or not. We would be open to local custom jobs but it would end up being too expensive to to build so many different variations. If things change in the future and we are able come up with a solution we will definitely update you all. Sorry we aren't able to fill this need at this time. We wanted to let you all know where we are on this. If anyone wants to tackle this on their own and has questions we are more than happy to help out by answering any questions.

2020SD

Reaction score
After looking more and more at this, we are probably going to tap out. It isn't a super hard build but from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense. It will require multiple different variations depending on trim level of truck and if the truck is lifted or not. We would be open to local custom jobs but it would end up being too expensive to to build so many different variations. If things change in the future and we are able come up with a solution we will definitely update you all. Sorry we aren't able to fill this need at this time. We wanted to let you all know where we are on this. If anyone wants to tackle this on their own and has questions we are more than happy to help out by answering any questions.
LMAO!!! About time you nut up and admit you were never going to do one!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cool story. I don't know who you are or what your deal is but I hope you have a great night. We do our best to bring products to this market. We can't please everyone though.
While I of course was hoping you’d be able to come out with a product, I sincerely thank you for your participation in this thread, as well as the work you put into investigating whether this is a feasible product.

I’ve been searching for a front skid plate that somehow integrates with the stock bumper for a while. I kept thinking, I know I’m not alone in wanting this, how can it possibly now exists?

Now I understand why it’s not so simple, and how there can’t be a one-size-fits all product. It looks like that leaves us with a few options:

1. DIY or have a local, custom fabricator make one specific for our truck measurements.
2. Aftermarket number that includes a front skid plate, like ADD Stealth Fighte
3. under body skid plate, like from Dethloff. This adds some protection, but still leaves the front wide open.

Thanks for looking into this and keeping us updated.

Hookie2325

Reaction score
While I of course was hoping you’d be able to come out with a product, I sincerely thank you for your participation in this thread, as well as the work you put into investigating whether this is a feasible product.

I’ve been searching for a front skid plate that somehow integrates with the stock bumper for a while. I kept thinking, I know I’m not alone in wanting this, how can it possibly now exists?

Now I understand why it’s not so simple, and how there can’t be a one-size-fits all product. It looks like that leaves us with a few options:

1. DIY or have a local, custom fabricator make one specific for our truck measurements.
3. under body skid plate, like from Dethloff. This adds some protection, but still leaves the front wide open.

I've been looking for awhile as well, I could really use one!!!

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

Thank you for understanding. There are pros and cons to being one of the only businesses willing to focus on Rams. We didn't want to be like every other shop that makes Toyota, Jeep, Bronco, Raptor stuff. Not to mention I have been a Mopar guy from day 1. The underbody skid I believe will be doable but you are correct that it leaves the front open still. We are looking at different designs for underbody that would include catalytic converter protection. I'm hoping we can do a one size fits all for that. If we figure out a way to make a one size fits all or even most for the front protection, we will look at it again but as of now, I'm not seeing a way.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I've been looking for awhile as well, I could really use one!!!
I keep waiting for someone local to say that. At least then we could do a custom one and would have the files to make them for others around the world on a special order basis. They would only be guaranteed to fit that trim line and ride height of truck though. I think there would be some carry over in design and dimensions between the Big Horn and Laramie maybe. Limited and Rebel are on their own program for a lot of things.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

Forgive the noobness here (not a fabricator) but could you not make a skid plate with different mounting points and just send the trim specific hardware? I get the angles would be different for the lifted trucks, but I can't imagine the angles would be off enough between trims *shrug*

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Forgive the noobness here (not a fabricator) but could you not make a skid plate with different mounting points and just send the trim specific hardware? I get the angles would be different for the lifted trucks, but I can't imagine the angles would be off enough between trims *shrug*
Since the different trim lines have different front bumpers and options such as the active air dam, I think it would be hard to make something to accommodate those different looks and designs as well as different mounting points. It would end up having to be multiple pieces (mounting brackets bolted to truck and skid) and I don't think I would be happy with a design like that. In my opinion it would look and feel cheap but not have cheap cost to go with it since it would still be expensive to make. We could come up with a one size fits all by supplying different mounting brackets but it isn't something we would be proud of so we won't do that. The other part of the problem is finding someone local with all of the different trim levels to test them on. I have a few Rebels at my disposal and I have a TRX at my disposal. I need to find some local people with Limited, Big Horn and Laramie for situations like this as well.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 126073

Currently drawing something up for a 1500 Limited with Air Ride and no front airdam, will pickup supports from where airdam was, wont touch front bumper to save on any damage and covers most of the underneath.
could you mock up somethat touchs the front bumper ? then maybe i can alter your plans to make it fit my truck

osage91

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to modify a trx skid plate to fit on a 1500?

Attachments

• CAE93B9A-EEC0-4562-B224-3A1D2F15E042.png
    CAE93B9A-EEC0-4562-B224-3A1D2F15E042.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 93
  • D1182F6F-5BC5-4823-8090-B4ED0560A5D1.png
    D1182F6F-5BC5-4823-8090-B4ED0560A5D1.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 93

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to modify a trx skid plate to fit on a 1500?
There’s a chance that might fit on the rebel model trucks, at nearly $500 it’s a big risk tho depending on your dealers return policy.

You would also need the brackets listed as #3 in the diagram and all of the hardware. I wonder if someone who owns a TRX and has access to a rebel could see if the bolt holes for the brackets and rear of that skid are present on the rebel.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
There’s a chance that might fit on the rebel model trucks, at nearly $500 it’s a big risk tho depending on your dealers return policy.

You would also need the brackets listed as #3 in the diagram and all of the hardware. I wonder if someone who owns a TRX and has access to a rebel could see if the bolt holes for the brackets and rear of that skid are present on the rebel.

We own a TRX and have a Rebel coming in for work soon (possibly monday). I can add that to the list to check for you guys if he ends up coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread