5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRONT AIR DEFLECTOR - CHROME Part no. 82215475 Self Install

duaneroyal

Reaction score
RT thanks for this i plan on picking up the smoke colored one when my truck comes in, im a believer in them and like the look.

RT70808

Reaction score
RT thanks for this i plan on picking up the smoke colored one when my truck comes in, im a believer in them and like the look.
No problem, let me know what you think of my notes and if I left anything out.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I love the looks of this chrome deflector. No idea if it actually works but it sure looks nice.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it saves 1 rock chip on the windshield than I’m happy.
I'm curious how a shield on the hood would prevent a rock flying towards the windshield. Seems like it would mostly protect the painted leading edge of the hood.

It does look nice.

RT70808

Reaction score
I'm curious how a shield on the hood would prevent a rock flying towards the windshield. Seems like it would mostly protect the painted leading edge of the hood.

It does look nice.
I’ve had rocks hit the hood then the windshield. Consider it wishful thinking. Just cross my fingers that it helps. Louisiana roads suck!

DharmaDog

Reaction score
I installed the chrome Mopar deflector today. It wasn’t fun. Like others here, the 4 large clips needed modification, so that the 4 plastic plugs could better sit in the holes in the underside of the hood. Used a Dremel for this to grind away some of the clip. Overall, it looks good, and the shape obviously is a dead-on match for the hood. But now having seen the unit with my own eyes and holding in my hands, I would have liked to have seen a bit of an upticked ‘lip’ at the trailing edge to help direct airflow up and over the windshield. It’s not clear the current shape really does this. It may be more of a front of the hood shield, rather tha a true bug deflector for the windshield. And it was hard to tell from the pictures posted here just how prominent the screws are in the front. They are very prominent. You will not be able to not see them. And lastly, the 2 smaller clips are very tight, and I was afraid of scratching the paint, so in addition to trying to bend them a bit to loosen them up (not sure I was able to), I also put some lubricant on them to help slide them into place. That helped.

I don’t expect this to help much with stones, but if it can help keep some bugs off my windshield, then I’ll be happy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the matt black finish OEM unit. Did not want to add to the chrome...altready enough chrome for me.

Ram2.jpg

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I did the bug shield / deflector last night on my Laramie Sport. Opted for the matte black version since there's no chrome on the truck aside from the mirrors and RAM lettering. Pretty pleased with it, but the install, as others have stated, is a pain.

First, the plastic rivets, which the instructions humorously refer to as "scrivets" (which they are not because they are a simple press install type, not with a plastic center screw), were a major pain to remove. I broke 4 of the 6, and thankfully I didn't break the last two, because I put them right back into the outer hood seal holes to retain the outer edges of said seal. The instructions did not explain what to do about your now-loose hood seal once you get finished up in this area. You could easily have performed the needed work on the outer retention clips for the deflector without removing the 'scrivets' in this area, not sure why my instructions said to remove them. Also, the little pieces of the broken scrivets will be in your hood forever, but they shouldn't cause a problem.

Second, the four large clips required modification, but after figuring out the first one, the rest should come easy as you know what to bend or adjust by then.

I saw some folks say they put the rubber hood protection bumpers on the deflector itself, but I would caution against that. You can cause damage to your paint as the nubs of the rubber bumpers rub against the paint over time, or even captures dirt for a fine polishing action - whereas the adhesive will come right off the hood with ease if you decide to remove the shield.

Lastly, and my sample size is small of course, but I filled up last night and reset my MPG data on the EVIC. It seems my gas mileage has not been negatively affected, but rather seems to have improved since the install. My average yesterday before install (I reset daily) through the EVIC is normally between 14-15, and I squeezed up to 16 this morning, with a bit of wind. Northern Virginia traffic entails a fair bit of stop and go, and I do not have eTorque or the start-stop feature.

Attachments

• 52868351_366357330632613_9217563767896801280_n.jpg
    52868351_366357330632613_9217563767896801280_n.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 53678745_1934168670044591_980588596144635904_n.jpg
    53678745_1934168670044591_980588596144635904_n.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 53900793_270727323827258_4898694330354499584_n.jpg
    53900793_270727323827258_4898694330354499584_n.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I installed mine myself also. I definitely do not like that you can see the screws. I am looking for some sort of strip or caps to cover them. I will let y'all know if I find something that works.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did the bug shield / deflector last night on my Laramie Sport. Opted for the matte black version since there's no chrome on the truck aside from the mirrors and RAM lettering. Pretty pleased with it, but the install, as others have stated, is a pain.

First, the plastic rivets, which the instructions humorously refer to as "scrivets" (which they are not because they are a simple press install type, not with a plastic center screw), were a major pain to remove. I broke 4 of the 6, and thankfully I didn't break the last two, because I put them right back into the outer hood seal holes to retain the outer edges of said seal. The instructions did not explain what to do about your now-loose hood seal once you get finished up in this area. You could easily have performed the needed work on the outer retention clips for the deflector without removing the 'scrivets' in this area, not sure why my instructions said to remove them. Also, the little pieces of the broken scrivets will be in your hood forever, but they shouldn't cause a problem.

Second, the four large clips required modification, but after figuring out the first one, the rest should come easy as you know what to bend or adjust by then.

I saw some folks say they put the rubber hood protection bumpers on the deflector itself, but I would caution against that. You can cause damage to your paint as the nubs of the rubber bumpers rub against the paint over time, or even captures dirt for a fine polishing action - whereas the adhesive will come right off the hood with ease if you decide to remove.

Not sure what you did but I did not have any of the issues you discussed. Clips were perfect and no mod required. I agree on the putter two and did not remove them once I understood the install better.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Not sure what you did but I did not have any of the issues you discussed. Clips were perfect and no mod required. I agree on the putter two and did not remove them once I understood the install better.

Not sure what to tell you. Just 2 posts above mine, another person had the same issue regarding the clips and I've read it in other threads about this particular mod install. The square hole in the clips themselves simply did not get far enough over the hole in the hood, for the rectangular plastic clip/crew attachment point to get snapped into place. A little bit of bending in the right spots on the clip, and it was resolved.

Reading the instructions again, one could interpret that they say to remove all of the scrivets or just the inner four. I probably was in too much of a hurry to notice that last night in the waning sunlight, but it doesn't matter as long as you have a couple of them undamaged from their removal like I did.

DharmaDog

Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. Just 2 posts above mine, another person had the same issue regarding the clips and I've read it in other threads about this particular mod install. The square hole in the clips themselves simply did not get far enough over the hole in the hood, for the rectangular plastic clip/crew attachment point to get snapped into place. A little bit of bending in the right spots on the clip, and it was resolved.

Reading the instructions again, one could interpret that they say to remove all of the scrivets or just the inner four. I probably was in too much of a hurry to notice that last night in the waning sunlight, but it doesn't matter as long as you have a couple of them undamaged from their removal like I did.

I only removed, or rather destroyed, 4 of the scrivets. But want to restate that I had the exact same problem with the square holes in the clips not reaching far back enough to get the plastic piece to snap into place. It absolutely required modification.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I installed the matte black. I had to bend modify 4 of the hood clips as they did not line up to the holes. The plastic anchors are a terrible design along with being able to see the screws reflecting off a chrome grille. The 2 end friction clips were not an ideal design as well and very scary to put on. All in all it still looks good in my opinion and I'll run with it. I did put the rubber bumpers on the deflector. I would think it can't be any different than the mudflaps on the paint.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 93

Jello0123

Reaction score
I purchased the AVS bug shield before I actually took delivery of the truck. I had to return it. The shield fit the contour of the hood but the holes were way off compared to the factory plugs. I would have needed to drill holes in the hood to use the shield ones or drill holes in the shield to accommodate the factory holes. I wasn't willing to do either, just wait until they fix the problem.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I purchased the AVS bug shield before I actually took delivery of the truck. I had to return it. The shield fit the contour of the hood but the holes were way off compared to the factory plugs. I would have needed to drill holes in the hood to use the shield ones or drill holes in the shield to accommodate the factory holes. I wasn't willing to do either, just wait until they fix the problem.
Maybe they make the Mopar ones too. Lol

Scjon03

Reaction score
I put the Mopar air deflector on, chrome looks good. yes seeing the screws is annoying but whatever. The outer clips on the sides where a pain in the ***. And like others I put the rubber bumpers on the deflector itself. I do not see that much pressure is against the hood. Overall good to go,

Users who are viewing this thread