5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck and welcome to the forum! Definitely an improvement without the air dams IMO. I would recommend the Falken's if you needed to drive in snow but...Panama LOL.

TennVol

Reaction score
San Juan de Dios, Anton, Cocle, Republic of Panama
Congrats on your new truck and welcome to the forum! Definitely an improvement without the air dams IMO. I would recommend the Falken's if you needed to drive in snow but...Panama LOL.
Yep, we don't get much snow down here! In the rainy season it get's muddy on some of the roads I like to drive on so I need something that will void the mud and not lose traction. My last truck here was a Toyota HiLux. I told people it was a great little truck (emphasis on "little"). My last five trucks in the US were all full size Fords and the las one was a Ram Power Wagon. The HiLlux is a great little truck for the mud. It comes from the factory with a locking rear dif that got me out of several tough spots! It was just too damn small for us even though it was a crew cab.

jmr

Reaction score
This thread inspired me so my air dam has now been removed. I had removed the active air dam several months ago and left just the AAD motor in place so not to get a error code in the RAM app. I painted the front of the control arms and cradle Black so it hides it really well. With the air dam removed it looks so much better more truck like.

Attachments

• AirDam-1.JPEG
    AirDam-1.JPEG
    250.2 KB · Views: 40
  • AirDam-2.JPEG
    AirDam-2.JPEG
    230.2 KB · Views: 40
  • AirDam-3.JPEG
    AirDam-3.JPEG
    157.4 KB · Views: 39

Sam365!

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the front air dam/valence. What’s the point of having a truck with 6” of clearance in the front. Always find myself catching them on snow in the winter.

I searched around looking for pictures and information around issues with a dash light if the active air dam was removed. Found a couple pictures but no other information so I wanted to post up for others who wanted to remove the air dam and active air dam.

The active air dam is a simple electric connection and 4 12mm bolts. I taped up the connection to keep weather out and zip tied it to itself out of the way. If anyone knows a blank plug cap for this connection please post below. I was worried disconnecting might throw a check engine light or something but have had absolutely no issues.

The front air dam is just a matter of removing 15ish (didn’t take an actual count) 10mm nuts, 3 plastic clips, and 2 10mm nuts holding on plastic brackets. Then it just drops down and you’re done.

Now I understand these are for aerodynamics and better fuel mileage.I didn’t make this thread to get into the advantages and disadvantages of the air dams being there vs not. Just wanted to show some before and after pictures and a brief right up.

I am very happy with how it looks.
View attachment 37941 View attachment 37942 View attachment 37943 View attachment 37944
Have any codes popped up? Reason I am asking I have 2019 and two codes popped up and it’s the grill shudders and the air dam. I wanna just take them off tried deleting but not offered in Alfa obd Mx+ so any codes?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have any codes popped up? Reason I am asking I have 2019 and two codes popped up and it’s the grill shudders and the air dam. I wanna just take them off tried deleting but not offered in Alfa obd Mx+ so any codes?
Just try u plugging the AAD and clearing the code. No need for alpha settings if it’s the AAD

jmr

Reaction score
The only code that would pop up was in the RAM app. If I checked using Alfaodb there were no codes present on the RAM app showed a very non descript code.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only code that would pop up was in the RAM app. If I checked using Alfaodb there were no codes present on the RAM app showed a very non descript code.
There will be a code on the computer with the AAD unplugged, but it won’t produce. CEL. You would have to disable it with alpha or jscan to get rid of the code completely

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There will be a code on the computer with the AAD unplugged, but it won’t produce. CEL. You would have to disable it with alpha or jscan to get rid of the code completely
Even disabling it in alfaObd doesn't keep the soft code from popping. I disabled my AAD in alfaObd but still show a code when checking

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even disabling it in alfaObd doesn't keep the soft code from popping. I disabled my AAD in alfaObd but still show a code when checking
Well that sux. Maybe there’s another trigger point for the soft code. I haven’t tried to disable yet.

BostonBLS

Reaction score

As others have said there is a code but not CEL. I have been like this for years now and code affects nothing.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I saw this answered somewhere, but couldn't find it. Is there a mating connector available somewhere to substitute for the AAD motor? I'd like to seal it up good rather than just wrapping with tape.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I saw this answered somewhere, but couldn't find it. Is there a mating connector available somewhere to substitute for the AAD motor? I'd like to seal it up good rather than just wrapping with tape.
You could probably ask someone who removed their AAD and wants to scrap it. Just use the connector from the old unit

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might do the trick.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it will not.
I’m not sure if it will or won’t. But if you say it won’t, maybe give us a reason or share your experience with it why it won’t work? It will save others from wasting their time or money looking into it. lol. Plus I’m curious why it won’t work. I’m always trying to learn something new about these trucks. Thanks man!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This might do the trick.

That is for the grill shutters on the eco-diesel truck bumpers. Won't work for active air dam or grill shutters ehind the upper grill

This kit only removes the grill shutters located in the BUMPER of 2020 and newer trucks. This kit is NOT for the grill shutters located between the headlights.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the Eco diesels have additional grill shutters in the lower bumper? I’m not familiar with the EcoD’s. Thanks for that clarification. Makes sense. That pesky fine print and mundane details on the websites always get me. 🤣

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could probably ask someone who removed their AAD and wants to scrap it. Just use the connector from the old unit
IIRC from the last time I messed with it, that connector is molded into the motor housing. I guess I could cut up my motor, since the plan is to remove it, but what I'm really looking for is a wire connector, which presumably I could fill the wire holes with RTV or epoxy or something for a submersible water-tight seal.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might do the trick.

That actually looks like a neutered shutter motor, and if so it may respond to the same bus address as the shutter motor already on the truck, creating a communications conflict.

Users who are viewing this thread