5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

MurdaRam

Reaction score
I removed my active air dam actuator and valance about a month ago. Looks way better! But what shocked me was that my coolant temp is now consistently at 201 (low 200s in general) even idling on a hot 95 degree day. When I had the valance and active air dam my coolant temp would run up to 220 then the fans would kick on. Anyone else get similar results??

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So after not having the lower air dam and active air dam for a more than 3 months, my fuel economy has gone from just over 14 mpg to a little more than 16 mpg. Not sure if that's from the air dam removal or just normal break-in, but I'm not interested in re-installing them to find out. I like how it looks and my fuel economy doesn't seem to have suffered at all. 2 mpg improvement and better look...win/win.

Rowbaretow

Reaction score
I just removed mine and one major issue I have is how open everything is down there. One good rock jump and you have some major components being torn up. I will be looking into a skid plate or some sort of shielding for sure.

Rowbaretow

Reaction score
Does this worry anyone? Or does anyone have a plate, even plastic, that they put here to protect the engine?

Attachments

• BBF5D869-CD26-4F34-ADC4-FBBF91F42455.jpeg
    BBF5D869-CD26-4F34-ADC4-FBBF91F42455.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 761

Obx Ram

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the front air dam/valence. What’s the point of having a truck with 6” of clearance in the front. Always find myself catching them on snow in the winter.

I searched around looking for pictures and information around issues with a dash light if the active air dam was removed. Found a couple pictures but no other information so I wanted to post up for others who wanted to remove the air dam and active air dam.

The active air dam is a simple electric connection and 4 12mm bolts. I taped up the connection to keep weather out and zip tied it to itself out of the way. If anyone knows a blank plug cap for this connection please post below. I was worried disconnecting might throw a check engine light or something but have had absolutely no issues.

The front air dam is just a matter of removing 15ish (didn’t take an actual count) 10mm nuts, 3 plastic clips, and 2 10mm nuts holding on plastic brackets. Then it just drops down and you’re done.

Now I understand these are for aerodynamics and better fuel mileage.I didn’t make this thread to get into the advantages and disadvantages of the air dams being there vs not. Just wanted to show some before and after pictures and a brief right up.

I am very happy with how it looks.
View attachment 37941 View attachment 37942 View attachment 37943 View attachment 37944
Yes agree! Took mine out when I lifted it ,tires would rub when it was up and tucked away.

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
Does this worry anyone? Or does anyone have a plate, even plastic, that they put here to protect the engine?
Wouldnt say it worries me but if anyone points me toward a direct fit skid plate that does'nt cost an arm and a leg I would be interested.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It would worry me if I was a tailgater. Not likely to get anything up there but you never know. I'm with Kevin O'Leary on going with some sort of skid plate. I might just fabricate something using sheet metal.

asbury2818

Reaction score
Has anyone removed both pieces ( the air dam, and active air dam) on a 2020 1500? Does it throw a engine light? Also how easy is it to remove them? And what are the steps?

Hpressman

Reaction score
Yes agree! Took mine out when I lifted it ,tires would rub when it was up and tucked away.
Hi. If you took your out do you want to sell it (or maybe just the brackets?) I hit a raccoon on the highway and mine broke.

Tred's

Reaction score
I for one, wasn't really too worried about MPGs when buying a truck. I mean, it's a truck, right? Bought it to do truck things. I was thrilled to be getting 14-15 in my 05 Silerado Z-71 after owning a 96 Ford F-150 4x4 at 13-ish. My 2017 (totaled) got 17+mpg & my 2019 is getting 18-19mpg in all around driving. I like the looks of the valance & air dam removal, but will let mine be stock. At least for now...

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took mine off a few months ago and happy I did.

As noted above, however, I’d definitely be interested in a skid plate between the front bumper and LCA mount area. Maybe more for looks than anything...

I do love the added bumper clearance though. Definitely happy to have it for off-road, especially on mountain trails.

ChuckH

Reaction score
If I leave the air dam on and then break it off going over something how will I damage other things that I would not if I took it off?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I leave the air dam on and then break it off going over something how will I damage other things that I would not if I took it off?

It’s bolted to the bumper, so if it gets snagged on something, I think it’s very likely you bend the bumper before it tears the bolts out.

vvmcgrew

Reaction score
I have had the upper and lower air dam off for about 6 months with no check engine lights. Had some other issues with my truck and now the dealer says the air dam not being there is throwing a code and causing a check engine light. Should I let them put the air dams back on or just keep them off?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have them show you the codes to prove it's because of the active air dam. Sounds a little suspicious to me. I've had mine off on both my trucks for about the same amount of time with zero issues. 2020 Laramie and 2020 Limited.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, I’ve also had mine off for around 6mo and no issues. That said, it’s possible the truck has an error code if I were to plug into an OBDII reader, and I simply am unaware of it... not sure.

I have had my truck into the dealer 3x since removing the air dams, and it’s never come up in discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread