5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks. So much cleaner, if my rebel came with one it would have been the first mod.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
f99d492cc5b92ba2dcf744b44454a868.jpg

Love mine removed and have take off for sale if anyone with a Limited wants to drag the ground with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that’s what I’m taking about. Ty for the pic. I’ll be trying this after I get truck back!!!

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the fixed air dam and leave the active air dam in place and functional? My understanding is The active air dam doesn’t lower until 35 mph so it isn’t seen when the truck is sitting still. Leaving it in place would help the gas mileage at highway speeds.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the fixed air dam and leave the active air dam in place and functional? My understanding is The active air dam doesn’t lower until 35 mph so it isn’t seen when the truck is sitting still. Leaving it in place would help the gas mileage at highway speeds.

It may be possible, but I’m not sure it’ll actually value gas mileage as there’s be a big gap between the bumper and lower active air dam.

Either way, with gas at $1.58/gal, I figure I’m maybe $2 higher cost a month without the dam

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just curious what it would look like. I would imagine the fixed air dam disguises it and without it it would look like a piece of plastic just hanging underneath bumper and when deployed won't there be a big space on top of it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just curious what it would look like. I would imagine the fixed air dam disguises it and without it it would look like a piece of plastic just hanging underneath bumper and when deployed won't there be a big space on top of it.

Sorry the picture is crumby, my truck is in the garage but I just hung it back on without the front air dam to see how it hangs. Overall, the active air dam hangs 3” lower than the bumpers lowest position (below the tow hooks) and about 4” lower at the center.

89e5d7d6c0282b91258fb048bc8769e5.jpg

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Sorry the picture is crumby, my truck is in the garage but I just hung it back on without the front air dam to see how it hangs. Overall, the active air dam hangs 3” lower than the bumpers lowest position (below the tow hooks) and about 4” lower at the center.

89e5d7d6c0282b91258fb048bc8769e5.jpg
Thanks for doing that. I agree it would not look good to put the active air dam on without the fixed air dam in place

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for doing that. I agree it would not look good to put the active air dam on without the fixed air dam in place

Wouldn't do anything as you would have a big gap between the bumper and the retractable airdam.

PaRamRod

Reaction score
Has anybody experienced any difference to fuel economy when they removed the air dam?

spinxt

Reaction score
Wouldn't do anything as you would have a big gap between the bumper and the retractable airdam.
Yeah...but you could make a bracket that would raise the auto air dam so when deployed there wasn’t a gap.
That’s a lot of work to achieve a more aggressive look while maintaining negligible fuel economy though

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I have had no change in fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigHorn4x4

Reaction score
Really helpful, was thinking of doing the same but now definitely doing it thanks!!

derp

Reaction score
if anything I would like to have a bigger lower aero than I have now. I'd be happy with lotus f1 ground effect aero and a underbody tray if it weren't for the ground clearance on steep driveway approaches and departures.

Since a massive front and side aero isn't in the works I'll flip and say why I understand removal for offroad to get a better approach angle without changing actual ride height. Looks don't matter so much to me compared to function and I think the speed coupled deployment of the active air dam strikes that balance. Low speed clearance, high speed aero.

Jnantz

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Laramie. Check engine light went off and dealer says air dam
Module needs to be replaced or else the cruise control won’t work. Is this true? Wants to charge me $760 bucks. My thought is remove the air dams myself. But will that keep my check engine light on? On a tight budget. Thoughts?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if anything I would like to have a bigger lower aero than I have now. I'd be happy with lotus f1 ground effect aero and a underbody tray if it weren't for the ground clearance on steep driveway approaches and departures.

Since a massive front and side aero isn't in the works I'll flip and say why I understand removal for offroad to get a better approach angle without changing actual ride height. Looks don't matter so much to me compared to function and I think the speed coupled deployment of the active air dam strikes that balance. Low speed clearance, high speed aero.

I think it all comes down to personal use. While I appreciate the looks of the taller front bumper clearance, the actual reason for me removing the air dams is because I know I’d be twisting that air dam up on the mountain roads I travel. It’s a liability for me to have that lower bumper for approach angle, and I know snagging it on a rock would result in further bumper damage.

For street use, I’d agree... the more the merrier.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Module needs to be replaced or else the cruise control won’t work. Is this true? Wants to charge me $760 bucks. My thought is remove the air dams myself. But will that keep my check engine light on? On a tight budget. Thoughts?

I can’t speak to your particular issue, but if you get under your truck you’ll see one electrical connector at the driver side active air dam motor. Remove that connector and see if your issue goes away. This electrically deactivates the air dam, should take you less than a minute to determine if the issue is with the air dam itself.

BigHorn4x4

Reaction score
Removed it today, looks way better , g
Going to be way better off-roading and during winter times

Attachments

• 5B98CB9C-7A23-4F0E-8169-30A747FEBE71.jpeg
    5B98CB9C-7A23-4F0E-8169-30A747FEBE71.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 844

John Jensen

Reaction score
Curiosity - isn't your 2019 still under warranty?
Why would they want to charge you to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread