5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a couple hundred miles driving, I’d say the air dam removal has affected my mpg by 0.5 or less. It’s very minimal, for certain on my Laramie.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
f99d492cc5b92ba2dcf744b44454a868.jpg

Love mine removed and have take off for sale if anyone with a Limited wants to drag the ground with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBORO19RAM, where did you get the filler caps for the licence plate holes on your front bumper? Looks good, I also have white and want to do the same.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These trucks look so much better without the air dams, I understand why FCA puts them on as they need to squeeze out every MPG to meet government CAFE requirements but now it looks like a truck not a truck wearing a skirt

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Medgas24

Reaction score
I removed mine also and it looks great. I had it in for some work at a local truck shop that does a lot of sema builds they said that damn it’s the just for air it’s also to help keep rocks from hitting the radiator!

Cudapower

Reaction score
I had a 2013 that I hooked a piece of rebar in a parking spot and tore the cover off. I left it off and saw zero difference in gas mileage. I think they are more of an issue than they are worth.

Medgas24

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to sell the air damns? After removing it

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I just did this to my ram with a 4” lift and I’m not a huge fan of how much you can see the lower control arms and cross member...it kind of looks unfinished I think. Hmmm

Attachments

• 77FDDEF3-A634-478F-ACAC-88F1AF0A1226.jpeg
    77FDDEF3-A634-478F-ACAC-88F1AF0A1226.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 980
  • FD2B6809-E62F-48E7-B78B-2B2D7CAB675C.jpeg
    FD2B6809-E62F-48E7-B78B-2B2D7CAB675C.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 966

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
I just did this to my ram with a 4” lift and I’m not a huge fan of how much you can see the lower control arms and cross member...it kind of looks unfinished I think. Hmmm
Maybe trim the bottom part of the air dam to essentialy only keep the rounded part of it? Should come pretty close to covering a good portion of the parts up, while still making it look higher off the ground.

No idea how hard that would be, or if it would look semi decent...

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe trim the bottom part of the air dam to essentialy only keep the rounded part of it? Should come pretty close to covering a good portion of the parts up, while still making it look higher off the ground.

No idea how hard that would be, or if it would look semi decent...

If you fail miserably at it, the guy above will sell you a new one!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think it looks bad at all but it's your truck and you have to look at it everyday.
I agree with Jeff. Looks okay to me. I'd much rather look at the LCA's than a piece of plastic. But looks are definitely subjective, and if you don't like the look you don't like it.

I removed mine a few weeks ago. My girlfriend liked it so much she asked me to remove hers from her Limited too. As far as fuel economy goes, if anything it seems to have improved. When I last posted in this thread I was seeing about 14.5 mpg. Now I'm seeing just over 15 mpg. Could be coincidence as there are only 3k miles on my truck, but I'm definitely not seeing worse fuel economy after removing those ugly pieces.

chuckd2017

Reaction score
Fellas. The trucks look great with the lower valance removed. Adding this to my quickly growing list

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Just a thot...I had a '92 Camaro TPI 350 and ripped the air dam off by accident. It would overheat afterwards until I added a new one. IOW, they're not just for mpg...also for engine cooling. The air going under hits it and "swirls" back up into the engine compartment.
Tho with today's engine cooling tech & computerized adv. cooling fans it may not be necessary

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a thot...I had a '92 Camaro TPI 350 and ripped the air dam off by accident. It would overheat afterwards until I added a new one. IOW, they're not just for mpg...also for engine cooling. The air going under hits it and "swirls" back up into the engine compartment.
Tho with today's engine cooling tech & computerized adv. cooling fans it may not be necessary
You have an interesting and good point. I have a Bighorn and I am not familiar with a Rebel but I believe the Rebel does not have the air dam and in addition has some form of skid plate in the front. I have no idea how the engineers designed air flow just more thoughts on the process.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a 92 Camaro too. Mine was an RS with the 5.0 TBI and manual trans. Was fun to drive, but I always wished it would have been a TPI. Anyway, the grille opening on mine was pretty small compared with my Ram, and the front license plate blocked off half the opening. Also, the shape of the Camaro air dam helped direct air into the grille, unlike the ones on our trucks. I don't see there being any cooling issues caused by removing it. The fact that the Rebel doesn't have them kind of reinforces that. But I'll keep an eye on it once the hot weather gets here. This is not a pic of my Camaro, but it's very similar.

92 Camaro RS.png

Users who are viewing this thread