5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

BostonBLS

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the front air dam/valence. What’s the point of having a truck with 6” of clearance in the front. Always find myself catching them on snow in the winter.

I searched around looking for pictures and information around issues with a dash light if the active air dam was removed. Found a couple pictures but no other information so I wanted to post up for others who wanted to remove the air dam and active air dam.

The active air dam is a simple electric connection and 4 12mm bolts. I taped up the connection to keep weather out and zip tied it to itself out of the way. If anyone knows a blank plug cap for this connection please post below. I was worried disconnecting might throw a check engine light or something but have had absolutely no issues.

The front air dam is just a matter of removing 15ish (didn’t take an actual count) 10mm nuts, 3 plastic clips, and 2 10mm nuts holding on plastic brackets. Then it just drops down and you’re done.

Now I understand these are for aerodynamics and better fuel mileage.I didn’t make this thread to get into the advantages and disadvantages of the air dams being there vs not. Just wanted to show some before and after pictures and a brief right up.

I am very happy with how it looks.
7DC61A8A-F2B1-4A63-8B91-C0219460B095.jpeg 65B0592A-FC64-430D-979D-C2BC7AD52E7C.jpeg C942C1D3-5336-4C8C-A7E6-1A3EEDD46896.jpeg 9082597B-126C-4814-8D80-80930F8847BB.jpeg

osage91

Reaction score
Looks great! I have the exact same truck and I’m about to do this myself. Do you have a side view pic by chance?

Robertsjut

Reaction score
That looks really good! I have been looking for a Rebel Bumper for my truck but........I think you just convinced me to just remove my air dam instead.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I don't really care for it. I would've cut it where it curves down to make it less noticable.

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Removed mine as well. Looks much better and if anything over the last week I have seen a slight improvement in gas mileage and my MDS is kicking on more often.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20200108_142719_LI - Copy.jpg
    InkedIMG_20200108_142719_LI - Copy.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,400

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this!

I’m in the exact same boat... I actually lost some sleep over this last night thinking about how I’m going to get back into my elk hunting areas this Fall with my new Laramie with 10” of total bumper clearance (on my stock ORG). Coming from a lifted Tacoma with HUGE approach angles at front and rear, I feel the Ram is very limiting for mountain trails.

Does anyone know how much bumper clearance a Rebel has? I’d been considering a bumper swap. Maybe removing the lower valence is a similar improvement to clearance?

Also curious how mpg is affected over time.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
I took mine off early on so it is hard to say how it affects mpg. If I had to guess I'd say I lost 1 mpg on average.

Williamsr024

Reaction score
So if I remove the plastic pierce below this can cause a sensor to go off? Just want to be sure before I do it. I did it on my 2016 GMC Sierra and had no problems. First time owning a dodge. I just picked up the 2020 Laramie.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d be interested in anyone’s take-off active air dam if you’re looking to get rid of it. I’ll pay the shipping or pick up anywhere near central Florida. Please let me know.

Williamsr024

Reaction score
I’d be interested in anyone’s take-off active air dam if you’re looking to get rid of it. I’ll pay the shipping or pick up anywhere near central Florida. Please let me know.
You can have mine if you come take it off! Des Moines, IA otherwise when I get around to it it’s all Yours.

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the front air dam/valence. What’s the point of having a truck with 6” of clearance in the front. Always find myself catching them on snow in the winter.

I searched around looking for pictures and information around issues with a dash light if the active air dam was removed. Found a couple pictures but no other information so I wanted to post up for others who wanted to remove the air dam and active air dam.

The active air dam is a simple electric connection and 4 12mm bolts. I taped up the connection to keep weather out and zip tied it to itself out of the way. If anyone knows a blank plug cap for this connection please post below. I was worried disconnecting might throw a check engine light or something but have had absolutely no issues.

The front air dam is just a matter of removing 15ish (didn’t take an actual count) 10mm nuts, 3 plastic clips, and 2 10mm nuts holding on plastic brackets. Then it just drops down and you’re done.

Now I understand these are for aerodynamics and better fuel mileage.I didn’t make this thread to get into the advantages and disadvantages of the air dams being there vs not. Just wanted to show some before and after pictures and a brief right up.

I am very happy with how it looks.
View attachment 37941 View attachment 37942 View attachment 37943 View attachment 37944
How did you remove these rivet style pins?

Attachments

• 20200321_170522.jpg
    20200321_170522.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,122

Aykillah

Reaction score
Still looking for one?

Users who are viewing this thread