5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox 2.5 coilovers install on 2020 Rebel

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
I forgot to ask, did you get these custom tunes or did you just buy the standard shock? I've heard that you can get them custom tuned, but wasn't sure if it was what everyone was doing.
I installed them as stock, no custom tuning. I purchased the extended 1" coilover for the front. The last 3 digits are 166. The rears end in 079 I believe. Just go to the Fox website and put in your truck details and the shocks/part numbers will come up.

The Ram 19-21 shocks are already 'tuned' specific to our vehicles weight. Plus you can adjust preload and the DSC to your liking.

Few pointers though. When they are installed and the truck comes off the lift for the first time the heights will be very high! Drive around and it will settle. Then make adjustments to preloaded to get the height you want.

The extended front coilovers require aftermarket UCAs. I have total chaos FAB installed and they hit the resovior L hose joint on a mild send over a speed hump. You may need to move the resovior abit to the left or right to avoid touching. Mine are fine now.

I do have a heavy custom bash plate (8mm mild steel) and extended skid plates (6mm) at the front which adds a fair bit of weight...but needed for my desert trips but it still sits nice and level with around 1/2" rake.

Will look into a custom tune if needed...especially if I add more weight and my driving confidence naturally increases over time.

yamahar6riding

Reaction score
So, my wife works for Fox Factory at their Corporate. I worked with their R&D guys to decide on this Fox 2.5 through BDS is this similar to what everyone else is doing here? I skimmed through and didn’t know if anyone had done the whole system like this? I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Sport with the 22” wheels and just wanted 4” lift but apparently this is what they recommend to me. Thoughts? 40BC4BD3-02EE-492D-8A5D-B61464D988E5.png

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed them as stock, no custom tuning. I purchased the extended 1" coilover for the front. The last 3 digits are 166. The rears end in 079 I believe. Just go to the Fox website and put in your truck details and the shocks/part numbers will come up.

The Ram 19-21 shocks are already 'tuned' specific to our vehicles weight. Plus you can adjust preload and the DSC to your liking.

Few pointers though. When they are installed and the truck comes off the lift for the first time the heights will be very high! Drive around and it will settle. Then make adjustments to preloaded to get the height you want.

The extended front coilovers require aftermarket UCAs. I have total chaos FAB installed and they hit the resovior L hose joint on a mild send over a speed hump. You may need to move the resovior abit to the left or right to avoid touching. Mine are fine now.

I do have a heavy custom bash plate (8mm mild steel) and extended skid plates (6mm) at the front which adds a fair bit of weight...but needed for my desert trips but it still sits nice and level with around 1/2" rake.

Will look into a custom tune if needed...especially if I add more weight and my driving confidence naturally increases over time.
hey so i just purchased my 2.5 and for the front im just going for a 2 inch lift will i need anything or even need uca?

i have a 21 rebel

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
hey so i just purchased my 2.5 and for the front im just going for a 2 inch lift will i need anything or even need uca?

i have a 21 rebel

i have a 21 rebel
Which fox 2.5 coilovers did you get ? I think the 'standard' ones (ending in 65) do not require aftermarket UCAs. For the extended travel (ending in 66) FOX recommend an aftermarket UCA that can ultimately handle the extended travel.

I use the truck (19 Rebel) as a daily driver but it gets thrown around the desert at the weekends hard. Before I purchased the FOX 2.5 setup I was using Bilstein 6112 and 5160, they don't require aftermarket UCAs as per Bilstein's advice.

However, due to my off road driving style I just couldn't see the OEM UCAs taking that type of abuse for a long time. I ignored Bilstein and purchased Total Chaos UCAs.

Ultimately, if you have purchased the extended travel coilovers then you will need aftermarket UCAs-mainly due to the extended droop that will damage your OEM UCAs.

If you have purchased the standard coilovers then no, but keep an eye on them and check regularly as some aggressive off roading could damage them.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which fox 2.5 coilovers did you get ? I think the 'standard' ones (ending in 65) do not require aftermarket UCAs. For the extended travel (ending in 66) FOX recommend an aftermarket UCA that can ultimately handle the extended travel.

I use the truck (19 Rebel) as a daily driver but it gets thrown around the desert at the weekends hard. Before I purchased the FOX 2.5 setup I was using Bilstein 6112 and 5160, they don't require aftermarket UCAs as per Bilstein's advice.

However, due to my off road driving style I just couldn't see the OEM UCAs taking that type of abuse for a long time. I ignored Bilstein and purchased Total Chaos UCAs.

Ultimately, if you have purchased the extended travel coilovers then you will need aftermarket UCAs-mainly due to the extended droop that will damage your OEM UCAs.

If you have purchased the standard coilovers then no, but keep an eye on them and check regularly as some aggressive off roading could damage them.
i forgot which ones i got but i have. for sure the. fox coilovers that said 2-3 dsc 😂😂i think i will have to adjust my coils for a inch as i have a slight rub… also wanna raise my rear because it sit lower then front now about half a inch

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

https://www.bilsteinlifts.com/shop/...lovers-with-adjusters-for-2019-2021-ram-1500/.

this is what i got

mk12booze

Reaction score
For those running a rebel and adjusted the height to 3" Can you tell me how much threads are showing on top of the preload ring please. TIA

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those running a rebel and adjusted the height to 3" Can you tell me how much threads are showing on top of the preload ring please. TIA
keep in mind, if you go full 3" you will sacrifice some droop (as you're extending the shock to get to the maximum lift the kit is designed for). Not ideal if your driving involves going fast in the desert.

if you're just doing it for the looks forget I said that.

Simann

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have the full Fox Factory 2.5 lift, over 112K miles on them in 3 years (2020) and not one single problem. They ride just as good as they did when I took delivery of the truck (RMT Overland upfit). They have seen plenty of off-road miles and some really rough, hot and long on road trips. So if anyone has any qualms about longevity, take it from me, Fox are the business. You absolutely get what you pay for.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 23

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what its worth, I have the full Fox Factory 2.5 lift, over 112K miles on them in 3 years (2020) and not one single problem. They ride just as good as they did when I took delivery of the truck (RMT Overland upfit). They have seen plenty of off-road miles and some really rough, hot and long on road trips. So if anyone has any qualms about longevity, take it from me, Fox are the business. You absolutely get what you pay for.
after all those miles it's time for rebuild and recharge the nitrogens!
then it will ride better than new. I upped the nitrogen level a bit higher than what Fox gave me and it rides so much better.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Thoughts on getting the Fox 2.5 PEs from Accutune?
Thinking why not get them tuned closer to what/weight that I actually have(?).

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on getting the Fox 2.5 PEs from Accutune?
Thinking why not get them tuned closer to what/weight that I actually have(?).
be mindful regarding accutune's recommended tuning. Their dual sport was not good enough for going fast in the desert but is decent on road. Their trail tune may be too harsh on road, but good for high speed desert. If you're not hitting desert weekly or if you don't go more than 50 on the trails, stock PE is fine.

i'd run with stock fox tuning first and possibly bump the nitrogen charge up a bit more to get a feel of where it's at then do the tune when it's time for rebuild.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Truth be told, I'd be going with the lowest "Adventure Tune" for the best possible On-Road tune possible..my Off-Road will be limited to very occasional fire trail type back roads..although, in the winter, most of our roads are as bad as most off-road trails!!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truth be told, I'd be going with the lowest "Adventure Tune" for the best possible On-Road tune possible..my Off-Road will be limited to very occasional fire trail type back roads..although, in the winter, most of our roads are as bad as most off-road trails!!
in that case run with the stock valving. On road just put low and high speed at 1 click. follow my adjuster tuning guide and you're gonna be golden

Users who are viewing this thread