5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox 2.5 coilovers install on 2020 Rebel

nainey_09

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the rears but used a couple of nickel sized 1/8" thick rubber washers, one on each side of rod and used these vice grips "home depot" which allowed me to crank them down enough.
d66473bc29708d33d445e87eb718e547.jpg

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4

Did you guys lift the boot up and use the vices on the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nainey_09

Reaction score

Thanks for the help! I finally got the stubborn side off and the new shock in. How did you torque down on the upper shock nut? Its impossible to get a wrench in there!
4852f1995687341e0da25fcb9ee448fc.jpg

U

User_21361

Thanks for the help! I finally got the stubborn side off and the new shock in. How did you torque down on the upper shock nut? Its impossible to get a wrench in there!
4852f1995687341e0da25fcb9ee448fc.jpg

Its been a while, but I think I used whatever torx (I can't recall the size or if it was a torx) bit I needed in the top of the shaft and then a combination wrench to get it to what felt tight enough. I used a torque wrench on a different bolt so I "knew what it felt like" and used that as a mental gauge for tightening. YMMV, I'm not a mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:

nainey_09

Reaction score
Its been a while, but I think I used whatever torx (I can't recall the size or if it was a torx) bit I needed in the top of the shaft and then a combination wrench to get it to what felt tight enough. I used a torque wrench on a different bolt so I "knew what it felt like" and used that as a mental gauge for tightening. YMMV, I'm not a mechanic.

Lol thats basically what i did. I didnt want to make it too tight because it was really compressing the rubber under the washer.

nainey_09

Reaction score
Also, how much lower did your front end get once they were settled? My front and rear seem level right now but i havent driven it that much yet.

U

User_21361

I was almost perfectly level until I installed the clayton springs. Now I have more rake. I have a thread that I started that has the detailed measurements. Ill see If I can find it.

nainey_09

Reaction score
I was almost perfectly level until I installed the clayton springs. Now I have more rake. I have a thread that I started that has the detailed measurements. Ill see If I can find it.

That would be awesome. Seems like mine is a little lower in the front and im wondering how itll look once its settled.

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Just about to install my set of FOX 2.5 Performance Elite front and rear (19 Rebel). Is there really no way you can flip the rears for easier access to the dsc? Is it a clearance issue? Was reading that the resovior has an IFP so should be no issues with regard to performance. I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be any roost guards available for the 2.5s so is a little riskier to have the shafts so openly exposed...could get some made though 🤔

U

User_21361

That would be awesome. Seems like mine is a little lower in the front and im wondering how itll look once its settled.

Just about to install my set of FOX 2.5 Performance Elite front and rear (19 Rebel). Is there really no way you can flip the rears for easier access to the dsc? Is it a clearance issue? Was reading that the resovior has an IFP so should be no issues with regard to performance. I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be any roost guards available for the 2.5s so is a little riskier to have the shafts so openly exposed...could get some made though 🤔
Its not possible to flip them because of the mounts are different on the top and bottom. In theory you could get custom connectors, but YMMV. You are correct that adjusting this is a pain in the ***. I have mine set for my preferred off road settings and I just deal with it. I haven't had issues with the shaft being exposed. However, I imagine you could solve this with a small piece of flexible plastic and a hose clamp just to keep most of the debris off coming from the front of the truck.

nainey_09

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got the front leveled and was wondering if anyone has a picture of their thread count? It seems like i needed a lot of thread to get the front level.
0c40221e3460dfcec6b16de284220c01.jpg

Derek Dredger

Reaction score

Its not possible to flip them because of the mounts are different on the top and bottom. In theory you could get custom connectors, but YMMV. You are correct that adjusting this is a pain in the ***. I have mine set for my preferred off road settings and I just deal with it. I haven't had issues with the shaft being exposed. However, I imagine you could solve this with a small piece of flexible plastic and a hose clamp just to keep most of the debris off coming from the front of the truck.
Have installed them. Wow, so good! Had Bilstein 6112s and 5160s installed. They were great but these FOX are on another level. Have yet to hit the desert yet but have been testing over large and small speed bumps and adjusting the DSC accordingly. At 70-80mph the ride is amazing.

However, I do look at the amount of exposed shaft showing on the front coilovers and wonder how on earth I am getting this much shock absorption. No sounds/bangs from bottoming or topping out and I haven't adjusted the preloaded from the factory. Trucks sits fairly level . How on earth do Fox do it?!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have installed them. Wow, so good! Had Bilstein 6112s and 5160s installed. They were great but these FOX are on another level. Have yet to hit the desert yet but have been testing over large and small speed bumps and adjusting the DSC accordingly. At 70-80mph the ride is amazing.

However, I do look at the amount of exposed shaft showing on the front coilovers and wonder how on earth I am getting this much shock absorption. No sounds/bangs from bottoming or topping out and I haven't adjusted the preloaded from the factory. Trucks sits fairly level . How on earth do Fox do it?!
Dang it, I was just looking up reviews for the 6112s and the 5160s and had settled. Then I decide to look over this chat and found your review so now I'm thinking if I should just hold off and buy these fox coilovers. Ahh decisions decisions...

U

User_21361

Dang it, I was just looking up reviews for the 6112s and the 5160s and had settled. Then I decide to look over this chat and found your review so now I'm thinking if I should just hold off and buy these fox coilovers. Ahh decisions decisions...
The most dangerous part of this forum is driving an urge to spend money....

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I'm starting to notice that. I saw that BDS has a 2" Fox coilover kit that uses the standard 2.0 shocks out back. Wonder how that rides? I'm assuming very damn good since they are fox shocks.

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
I do think it really depends on whether you need them. I kind of grew into the FOX setup through driving experience - driving more and more aggressively in the dunes as my confidence and speed increased. Also, they offer a bit of security knowing that occasionally your driving reaches trophy truck levels unintentionally as you misjudge a bump/whoop/drop.

The Bilstein 6112 and 5160 are a fantastic setup if you want the lift along with some pretty wild.offroading. They can handle the hits/bumps easily.

Think of it this way; the Bilstein 6112 and 5160, the FOX 2.5 Performance Elite can handle the same terrain with ease. Howver, with the FOX you can go alot faster with significantly reduced bottoming/topping out. But you could buy Bilstein, save the money and buy 30,000 lumens of lights to light up the square mile around you.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know I don't need them. I daily drive my truck and do not do any off-roading at all. I only want them because I feel like the comfort would be amazing and because of the cool factor :cool:

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
I know I don't need them. I daily drive my truck and do not do any off-roading at all. I only want them because I feel like the comfort would be amazing and because of the cool factor :cool:
Well the comfort at high speeds is simply mesmerising. I don't even have them on the softess setting (3 clicks in on both high and low speed compression). It just glides, kinda feels weird like you're not connected to the road in comparison to stock.

The cool factor? Yeh I'd be lying if I said I don't look back at my truck every time I park and mutter....oh you bad looking motherf$$🤪🤣👌

You only live once...get the FOX setup 👊

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well the comfort at high speeds is simply mesmerising. I don't even have them on the softess setting (3 clicks in on both high and low speed compression). It just glides, kinda feels weird like you're not connected to the road in comparison to stock.

The cool factor? Yeh I'd be lying if I said I don't look back at my truck every time I park and mutter....oh you bad looking motherf$$🤪🤣👌

You are right! I love my truck and I plan on keeping it for a while so I'm just going to treat myself right and buy the fox coilovers! :D

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I forgot to ask, did you get these custom tunes or did you just buy the standard shock? I've heard that you can get them custom tuned, but wasn't sure if it was what everyone was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online