5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found this while hardwiring a radar detector

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon in 2018, and it too had one of these GPS systems installed. However, the dealer at that time was marketing it as a GPS tracking device in case the jeep was stolen. It even came with access to a website that I could log into that tracked where the Jeep was and would show travel paths on any given day. While that product was listed on the sales sheet as a dealer-installed item, I wasn't too keen on it, and just left it alone. Additionally, it had a blue light that you could clearly see under the driver's dash, so it wasn't really hidden from sight, just out of your line of sight during normal operations.

Fast forward a few years now in my 2020 Ram Rebel, I've not noticed any of those devices on this vehicle. However, that little device shown by the OP, I would find highly suspicious.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw these things (or similar) at most of the dealerships I went to when looking for my truck. Some listed it as a required dealer-installed option (as much as $1500) and others made it optional. It was $800 for my truck and I said no. They stuck a chip in it which permanently disabled it. SiriusXM Guardian provides the same thing: free trial for 1 year then $13/month after that. I don’t know if there’s a deal on that though since I cancelled after the trial.

I still think the dealerships install it for insurance purposes then pass on the cost (+ extra I’m sure) to the buyer. I’ll bet enough people don’t pay attention (or care) as long as they get the monthly payments they want, which makes it a free insurance premium discount for the dealership. Again, just my opinion.

johnyb777

Reaction score
I need to check mine, my dealer put a pad lock and steel rope on the spare tire and never told me. I assume they forgot it. At least they also gave me a key attached to my key fob. I am just glad I found it before I had a flat and didn't have a key with me. :)

Bill S

Reaction score
I Bought my truck used, and the finance guy told me it was built into the cost, and it was like a Lo-Jack system, and would get me a discount on my insurance. After I found out the name of it, I did some research, and found the app for it. What the finance neglected to tell me was that the company with the tracker, will sell your information, and driving habits to your insurance company. That was a deal breaker for me, and I had it removed.

BoDarville

Reaction score
My Acura had one of those, installed at the dealer. They tried to add it on to the price as a security feature, but I insisted I didn't want or need it. The solution - they inserted a little chip in the device that deactivated it.

I'm guessing their cost on it was so low that it would have cost more to uninstall it. Definitely a lot less than the $800 or so they tried to get me to pay for it. On my Expedition, I made them take the whole thing out, and it took about 45 minutes. Glad they didn't try and pull that with my Ram.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah ,I can't believe people are cool with the dealership installing a tracking device in their truck without telling them.
I'm sure the dealership gets an insurance discount for having those systems installed on everything on their lot. Enough people will opt to pay for the security device for the dealership to turn a profit on the endeavor as well. Active GPS tracking does get you a discount on your insurance but I'm not sure how much.

Your truck is already a tracking device. Whether it records and stores information and parameters I'm not sure.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sure the dealership gets an insurance discount for having those systems installed on everything on their lot. Enough people will opt to pay for the security device for the dealership to turn a profit on the endeavor as well. Active GPS tracking does get you a discount on your insurance but I'm not sure how much.

Your truck is already a tracking device. Whether it records and stores information and parameters I'm not sure.
Typically, you'll get a discount ONLY if you use the device provided by the insurance company.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Typically, you'll get a discount ONLY if you use the device provided by the insurance company.
I've bought two new trucks in the last 2 years and both times my insurance company asked if the vehicle has GPS tracking. They didn't ask what brand or service provider, only if the vehicle had it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've bought two new trucks in the last 2 years and both times my insurance company asked if the vehicle has GPS tracking. They didn't ask what brand or service provider, only if the vehicle had it.
All I'm sayin is that with many insurance companies having their own devices like Allstate and State Farm, to name only two, they will give you a far greater discount if you use their devices versus a third party and their devices are FREE!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I'm sayin is that with many insurance companies having their own devices like Allstate and State Farm, to name only two, they will give you a far greater discount if you use their devices versus a third party and their devices are FREE!
Is that the one that also tracks your mileage and driving habits too? The insurance companies wouldn't put those out unless they made money from them:

GPS - quickly locate stolen/missing vehicles to recover vehicles before they are stripped down (saves them money).
Driving habits - panic stops, speeding, etc., will raise your rates.
Mileage - pretty sure most people underestimate their annual mileage. With the actual mileage they can adjust your rates.

While they give a discount for GPS tracking I'm sure they make more money than customers save on the rest.

My insurance company didn't offer any options for additional discounts on my vehicle insurance. Surprisingly my insurance did not go up much going from a 2003 Ford F-250 to a 2019 RAM 1500. Seems there are built-in discounts for technology (rear camera, blind spot warning, Park Sense, etc.).

Just my .02

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Some of these systems aren’t just trackers... the one installed in line not only tracks but allows me to set a geo fence that will shut it down if it leaves a certain area I can designate... or simply shut it down if I determine it’s stolen. As for the gps tracker the insurance uses, they only work if you have the app on your phone and Bluetooth synced to it. It’s more of a potentiometer than a tracker... pretty sure it uses your phones gps to to provide location data.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn Chinese hackers are at it again! I recommend you take it out and connect up a battery and then attach it to a drone... It's time to mess with them for once...
Not that i'm Chinese but please stop your accusing the whole race without proof or anythings and you talking like American hacker didn't hack somebody else.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL... China is a country, right? So, calling it "Chinese" is not being racist.

Nice try playing the race card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online