5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford F-250 Totaled after rear-ending my Rebel

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear...and see. Those pics make me sick.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck is totaled 100% so just let that sink in. Diminished value won’t apply to a totaled vehicle. Go to the hospital right now, period. Call a lawyer on your way. You’ll be fine and get treatment for any and all injuries. This same thing happened to me and my wife, the guy had minimal coverage but still my lawyer was able to get us a 6 figure settlement.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Side note for anyone else following. I was rear ended in my Ram but at slow speed at a red light. Damage was right at $2200 and fixed to original condition (new exhaust, new bumper, new hitch, no other damage). I had a lawyer file a diminished value claim an in 2 weeks I had $800 cash in my pocket. No fuss, just let the pros handle it.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s insight and suggestions. The last time I was in a car accident was 30+ years ago. So I don’t have a lot of experience dealing with these things. I have Geico and the adjuster will be here this morning. Afterwards I’ll call an attorney.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s insight and suggestions. The last time I was in a car accident was 30+ years ago. So I don’t have a lot of experience dealing with these things. I have Geico and the adjuster will be here this morning. Afterwards I’ll call an attorney.
And go get checked out and don't "suck it up" the pain. This is not the time to be the "strong iron man". Let them know how you are feeling and what you are experiencing. By no means am I saying tell a lie, just be honest as to what is going on. <---the things you are feeling now can change in days/months too; think of of a shock wave and its affects and aftermath. This is sooooo important that you do this asap!!!!

I have handled a few accident claims as HR & Safety Director in my days....along with my own personal experiences.

SacRebel

Reaction score
The insurance adjuster has completed his assessment and placed a repair value of $10,400 with 17-days to repair the vehicle. Obviously, it's a starting point and I'm expecting overruns and delays. But I'm just happy it's not going to be totaled. It's being towed right now to a body shop with a very good reputation.

IMG_0012.jpg

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Well, that's great news, since you wanted it to not be totaled! I'm curious what all the adjuster listed as needing repaired/replaced on your truck.

Good luck with the repairs, I hope they make you whole again! Also, as others have mentioned, since they're not totaling it - go for diminished value!

-John

Brisoup1

Reaction score
From what I heard, unless you get a REALLY good body shop to replace your frame, you're truck will never be the same. You'll hear noises you never heard coming from the truck that you didn't hear pre-accident. If you eventually trade the truck in, the accident will come up on a Car Fax and you'll take a BIG hit on what you'll get for your trade. From what I've heard from others, diminished value is a royal pain to get. If I was in your shoes, I'd hope they total it. Do you have gap insurance or new car replacement with your insurance carrier?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
It's almost guaranteed the cost will climb once they start taking the truck apart. I hope everything turns out ok with you and the truck.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do everything in my power to have that thing totaled, way to much work needs to be done beyond simple replacement parts.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am thinking once it gets to the body shop and they start taking parts off they are going to find more damage that the adjuster couldn't find.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Built Ford tough huh? Looks like your Ram made out far better...hope you're both ok and I hope you get back into a rebel asap!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Built Ford tough huh? Looks like your Ram made out far better...hope you're both ok and I hope you get back into a rebel asap!

To be fair, front crash zones on all vehicles will crumple more than rears and look worse. I have no dog in this fight as I’ve owned 3 Fords, 3 Jeeps, and my new Ram.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be fair, front crash zones on all vehicles will crumple more than rears and look worse. I have no dog in this fight as I’ve owned 3 Fords, 3 Jeeps, and my new Ram.
Plus that generation Superduty dates back to 20 years before our Rams came out... Not exactly an apples to apples comparison in safety and crash worthiness... Or value, totaling that truck is way easier than totaling anything from this decade.

To the op, glad you're ok, and I hope your truck situation goes well too! Sometimes a total is a blessing in disguise, but, on the other hand, we have a TON of technology nowadays that makes repairing vehicles back to factory spec pretty darn good.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I rear ended a 2012-2016ish f250 with an s10 going about 7 mph, and his whole bumper caved into his bed and my bumper had a small scuff. I stand by my statement lol. But I do get what you mean. I make the metal for the new fords and I wouldnt buy one. Just sayin!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad you’re ok but I would definitely cover yourself and get checked out because sometimes there is a delay with whiplash etc.

I also agree with everything @Rampat said. I’d be shocked if you didn’t have frame damage. I would ask for another adjuster. Who’s adjuster was it theirs or yours? If it was theirs then I would get your insurance company involved as well. They will act more as your advocate. I would also press your body shop to go over every nook and cranny of that frame. I know it’s a huge pita and you’d rather just be done with it but you risk the potential for major problems down the road and a lot of diminished value. I think it would be worth investing the time now to get that thing totaled, have them pay for your addons, and any gap on depreciation. You might need to invest in an attorney to make that happen but if they do it for a contingency by including pain/suffering or even writing a few letters for a grand and threatening litigation, it would be time/money well invested IMO

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
Side note for anyone else following. I was rear ended in my Ram but at slow speed at a red light. Damage was right at $2200 and fixed to original condition (new exhaust, new bumper, new hitch, no other damage). I had a lawyer file a diminished value claim an in 2 weeks I had $800 cash in my pocket. No fuss, just let the pros handle it.
I am attempting to get diminished value now. Had the dealer write up $1000 in value lost on my trade in.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, man that'll suck! I've probably spent $2,000+ on the ceramic coating, spray-in bed liner, wheel spacers, etc. that I assume I'll never get back if it's totaled.
Make a list of all the add ons and proof of their cost. You can always say no to first offer and fight back for a better offer settlement. Even if they could repair it, you would want the coating, etc restored. You won't want a "reconstructed" title brand for loss of resale value. Ram makes new ones every day! Glad you were ok.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While on subject of accidents, I have seen like 3 examples on TV news reports over last 6 months of Ford Superduties that when they show pictures of wreck aftermath, the Superduties roofs collapsed pretty extensively from being rolled over. I am sure these were from various years as they looked the same at a glance since 1999, but it was scary how bad roofs flattened. Not noticed other manufacturers products flattening like that. I am sure latest models are safer per the roll over requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread