5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford F-250 Totaled after rear-ending my Rebel

1997pgt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have yet to submit my receipt to Geico for the ceramic coating as I’m waiting to get my truck back first. Yes, it’s still in the shop..a month later and the repairs have hit around $14k. But I am optimistic I can get reimbursed for that expense.

As an auto detailer, how long should I wait to have the ceramic coating re-applied after paint? Obviously the rest of the truck with need paint prep too.

Also, did you file a diminished value claim with the other insurance company? I’ve spoken to several auto appraisal companies and they all predict I’d get $7-$9k. So I’ll be doing that too when the truck is done, which by the way will be another couple of weeks.

Doesn’t surprise me at all, my initial estimate was just over $8k and by the time it was all said and done they were in it for over $12k plus another $2400 in rental car charges. You’ll need to wait a minimum of 4-6 weeks to re-ceramic it, give the paint time to cure but I’m sure you could get a invoice/estimate from the shop immediately after getting it back and they will be able to reimburse you for it then. As far as the diminished value I tried to but it was a no go, I would’ve had to sue her insurance company for it and it was a mess so I gave up, was only looking at $600-1000 tops before the suits took their cut from it, wasn’t worth the aggravation for me. Your state might be easier to recoup the diminished value though.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I thought I'd give a quick update on my truck. After 7-weeks in the shop it's due to be completed tomorrow. The truck has been painted and will go through final assembly today. Tomorrow it goes out to have the spray-in bedliner done. I stopped by the shop today and this is how it looks. Hard to believe it'll be ready tomorrow.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Sorry for the crappy shot of the interior, but to the right is the battery for the eTorque.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a ton of plumbing under that area the box covers! Remember back when a few wires, a brake line, and an emergency brake cable was all there was back there. Of course the gas tank was inside the cab where it is nice and safe......lol.....and driver can keep an eye on it. What can possibly go wrong?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a ton of plumbing under that area the box covers! Remember back when a few wires, a brake line, and an emergency brake cable was all there was back there. Of course the gas tank was inside the cab where it is nice and safe......lol.....and driver can keep an eye on it. What can possibly go wrong?

What are those two silver tubes above the axle?

SacRebel

Reaction score
It took over 7-weeks and $14k in repairs but I got her back today. I am very pleased with the quality of work performed. They had to order the Rebel badge, which will be here next week.

54d85ce191efa5c3caf33f68ede0c763.jpg

7e4e782dd5eedf266845c8d41e37f5a2.jpg

9008529b439a265a7119bc09be9f4cdc.jpg

Now that it’s done I’ll start looking for an appraiser and get the truck appraised before filing a diminished value claim. I’ll be sure to share how that goes as well.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it looks really good, hopefully you won't have any issues with it.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
It took over 7-weeks and $14k in repairs but I got her back today. I am very pleased with the quality of work performed. They had to order the Rebel badge, which will be here next week.

54d85ce191efa5c3caf33f68ede0c763.jpg

7e4e782dd5eedf266845c8d41e37f5a2.jpg

9008529b439a265a7119bc09be9f4cdc.jpg

Now that it’s done I’ll start looking for an appraiser and get the truck appraised before filing a diminished value claim. I’ll be sure to share how that goes as well.

Glad you got your truck back! Looks good!

For appraisers, I'd go straight to CarMax and see what they say. Their appraisers seem like they do a good job, and will nit pick a vehicle at the same level I do (very detailed).

-John

SacRebel

Reaction score
For appraisers, I'd go straight to CarMax and see what they say. Their appraisers seem like they do a good job, and will nit pick a vehicle at the same level I do (very detailed).

That's a great idea..couldn't hurt to have two independent appraisals.

dsn112

Reaction score
To your question about when to re-coat, ask the person that painted it the truck. Only after finding out how they did it, can you determine when to coat.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
That's a great idea..couldn't hurt to have two independent appraisals.

When I took my 2015 F-150 to one of my local RAM dealers in December of 2018, I was shocked by the low trade-in value they offered me, so I took it to CarMax. They offered me exactly the same amount! Turns out the 2018 to 2019 model year change hurt F-150 resale values by thousands. The appraiser also informed me that the entire passenger side bedside had been repainted prior to me buying the truck. I bought it brand new, and figured it had been a poor PDI, and thought about polishing it out myself (there were the normal paint issues I've seen on virtually every new car I've bought) with some swirl marks. She put a paint thickness meter on it and it was different from the surrounding panels - repainted!

Anyway, the point is, they are fair and detailed in their appraisal. Just tell them you're thinking about trading the truck in and you want an appraisal.

-John

PS: For those who are curious, I ended up trading my F-150 in on my RAM in May of 2019, at the same dealer that did the original offer - they took an odometer reading and came back $1,000 lower than in 12/18, which I took because I had put 5-6,000 miles on the truck in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread