5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford F-250 Totaled after rear-ending my Rebel

SacRebel

Reaction score
I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting rear-ended this morning on the freeway. The Ram faired a lot better than the Ford..at least I was able to drive home. The bed is pretty bent-up inside and out..it even pushed up to the cab. The truck that hit me was going pretty close to full speed when he realized traffic had stopped. Other then my back being sore we both walked away ok.

IMG_9978.jpg

IMG_9980.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_9982.jpg

Quiet

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks pretty bad. Depending on how fast "full speed" (or nearly) is, there's possible (perhaps likely) frame damage to your truck, and it's been my experience that very little gets the adjusters to mark "totaled" quicker than frame damage.

Glad to hear you made it out OK, but I'd get your back checked out ASAP.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Not an insurance adjuster, but wouldn’t surprise me if yours is totaled too.

Glad you’re ok
Seriously, man that'll suck! I've probably spent $2,000+ on the ceramic coating, spray-in bed liner, wheel spacers, etc. that I assume I'll never get back if it's totaled.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Someone else on here had their frame bent when rear-ended. Theirs was totaled because of the lead time on a replacement frame.

mkel2010

Reaction score
Seriously, man that'll suck! I've probably spent $2,000+ on the ceramic coating, spray-in bed liner, wheel spacers, etc. that I assume I'll never get back if it's totaled.

If you have receipts for all of it, you can most likely submit them as part of the claim if the truck is totaled.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score

Hope you are ok (and the other person too).
I am not a lawyer... make sure you get your neck and back checked out at the hospital soon ( I forget the timeline). <---this becomes important later in a claim/case.

Whiplash will sneak up on you....especially after your adrenaline calms down and/or next day when you go to move. So will knots in your neck.

You should include that $2,000 cost in your claim.

Another item overlooked (sometimes easy-other times hard) is the Immediate Diminished Value--value forever loss to you when you go to resale your vehicle which is lowered due to accident--depending on your state laws.

Hope everything works out for you.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume totaled. Plus? If they don’t even have an air intake out for the Ram, they won’t have all the parts needed.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Insurance has to add those items as value but not the same cost. It’s like having new tires, they are worth something but not retail.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
Hitting you in the right rear, Looks like he swerved at the last minute.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Hitting you in the right rear, Looks like he swerved at the last minute.

He locked up his breaks but still hit me at about 40-50 mph. I was in the slow lane and we were on a tall overpass over a river so there was nowhere for him to go. As traffic stopped I was watching him in my rear view mirror as he hit me.

At the ER now waiting for x-rays.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope you are ok (and the other person too).
I am not a lawyer... make sure you get your neck and back checked out at the hospital soon ( I forget the timeline). <---this becomes important later in a claim/case.

Whiplash will sneak up on you....especially after your adrenaline calms down and/or next day when you go to move. So will knots in your neck.

You should include that $2,000 cost in your claim.

Another item overlooked (sometimes easy-other times hard) is the Immediate Diminished Value--value forever loss to you when you go to resale your vehicle which is lowered due to accident--depending on your state laws.

Hope everything works out for you.

Speaking from experience - I had a similar thing happen in a '92 Sierra. Got rear ended by a girl doing 50. Thought I was fine and had the tow truck driver take me to work. Not whiplash, but after 30-40 minutes I hurt all over like I'd been beaten with socks full of quarters.
Wife picked me up and off to the ER we went. I then learned the name of my new best friend - cyclobenzaprine. Amazing muscle relaxant.
There's a big sweet spot between a lawyer calling baby and toughing it out needlessly...

david55838

Reaction score
Jeez, you're the only other Rebel I've seen in Sac. Sorry this happened, and hope you're ok. Was it 50 or 80?

Neokane

Reaction score
My wife was re-ended by a 92 year old man (She was at a dead-stop). No lawyer got involved, but we negotiated with his insurance. They covered all medical bills including a massage for the wife because that it was the doctor recommended. They covered 100% of the repairs and diminished value of our Outback. I was going to argue with them about which bodyshop, but their body shop was the one at the Subaru dealership, so I had no complaints with that.

PS. Never accept their first offer. for diminished value, find several dealerships that would be willing to write you up an offer on the vehicle, for both before the accident and after repairs. This will help you determine diminished value.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
PS. Never accept their first offer. for diminished value, find several dealerships that would be willing to write you up an offer on the vehicle, for both before the accident and after repairs. This will help you determine diminished value.

KBB and NADA can help with diminished value also. You can get a value both ways (with and without the accident history). I'd still do what Neokane suggested though.

Ramit71

Reaction score
M
. Most insurance companies will let you buy it back at the totaled price. I’ve done it.

jrexer

Reaction score
Insurance adjuster here. In CA diminished value is nearly impossible to get since the insurance company pays to fix your truck to pre loss condition. I don’t think that’s necessarily fair but we deny them all day long and have never lost.

As for parts, there will for sure be parts. Some may be on back order but rare. I just replaced the frame on another 19 ram. The frames have been redesigned this year to reduce weight and the way the hitch mounts it doesn’t take a big impact to slice the frame rails. Once there is a tear no legitimate shop will touch that.

It takes a lot to total a truck in CA since they are so expensive. If your truck was $55k and salvage is $20k not considering sales tax you’d have to write the sheet to $35k. Depending on your carrier they may make it a constructive total to not deal with the repair. But in CA it is insurer discretion so they can.

My advice:
-have the other parties insurance look at your truck and have yours come out too. Weigh which company’s value is better (if it’s a total).
-if you do want to swing for diminished value, it has to go through the other parties insurance. Most CA policies exclude first party finished value coverage.
-id be very surprised if the paint coating added any value but maybe a few bucks. Don’t bank in getting $2k tho.
-no one is going to bat an eye given those damages if you’re injured and get checked out. An attorney would love you. If you get one, you’ll see why our insurance premiums are so damn high.

Sorry it happened. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread