5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fold down rear seat?

Fidomac

Reaction score
I will be camping maybe 4-5 nights a year. And maybe the occasional sleep in the back on a road trip. Do you think a small air mattress would be able to fit on the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out amazon for small air mattress. They have some that are about 6 ft long that should fit

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out amazon for small air mattress. They have some that are about 6 ft long that should fit

Or you could drop a Thermarest pad back there. Their high-end pads have gotten insanely expensive but they still make fairly cheap models. We've got some old ones that still work like new and would be perfect for this.

runamuck

Reaction score
one of those roll-up dense foam mats like for backpacking and a sleeping bag would be handy. I have a friend who is able to get a cpl. hours of nap on long trips while his wife drives by sacking out on the back floor. handy on those 13-14 hr. drives from DFW to Durango or Breckenridge for skiing.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
one of those roll-up dense foam mats like for backpacking and a sleeping bag would be handy. I have a friend who is able to get a cpl. hours of nap on long trips while his wife drives by sacking out on the back floor. handy on those 13-14 hr. drives from DFW to Durango or Breckenridge for skiing.

I have rented the Dodge Caravan GT a few times to enjoy that space since the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold into the floor and have laid out at the rest stops. Those stops are too short to pay for a hotel so they work out perfectly. Loved it so much my other half just got a low mileage 2018 Caravan GT...both our vehicles are the same dang color too...lmao!!!

I agree with the thicker foam to form to the floor and your body.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another option, on the Limiteds at least, is the front seats will recline to full horizontal - if you lift up the rear seats to make room. Slide them all the way back and you've got two business class beds.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I checked my Big Horn and confirmed both seats will recline full horizontal too. My driver seat is power and passenger seat is manual (driver seat power through upgrade of Big Horn Level 2 equip group).

That would work in a pinch, I am a ummm wide body...lol....need lil more room to spread out in back seat!!!
lmao!!!

Fidomac

Reaction score
the ones in my laramie dont. they are fixed. they do move a little when you scoot the bottoms forward in recliner mode.
Move the seats bottoms as forward as possible... open the center console and reach behind it just under the headrest....there's a small string Loop that if you tug on will allow the seatbackto go forward

Gs72174

Reaction score
I have Big Horn Crew Cab and there’s a nylon type pull strap behind each head rest between the seat back and the rear wall. I’ve pulled with all my might and they don’t budge. Does Ram just install these in all their crew cabs even if the truck doesn’t come with rear folding seats?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Big Horn Crew Cab and there’s a nylon type pull strap behind each head rest between the seat back and the rear wall. I’ve pulled with all my might and they don’t budge. Does Ram just install these in all their crew cabs even if the truck doesn’t come with rear folding seats?
Those straps are for securing child safety seats

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As previously stated not all models have reclining or folding seats. There is an easy mod you can do that will convert a non-folding rear seat into a folding rear seat. I will attach the file below. Note: this is not my mod. I wish I remembered who did this so I could give them props. If you know, please credit them.

Attachments

• Folding Rear Seat Mod.pdf
    609.5 KB · Views: 284

Gs72174

Reaction score
As previously stated not all models have reclining or folding seats. There is an easy mod you can do that will convert a non-folding rear seat into a folding rear seat. I will attach the file below. Note: this is not my mod. I wish I remembered who did this so I could give them props. If you know, please credit them.

It was Gcscott who posted that originally. I’m hoping to try the mod in a few weeks when I get the chance.

drew7811

Reaction score
I will be camping maybe 4-5 nights a year. And maybe the occasional sleep in the back on a road trip. Do you think a small air mattress would be able to fit on the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I need to look at that again, but how wide is it inside with the doors closed? I can see kids having enough room to sleep back there and perhaps a rather short stature adult.

drew7811

Reaction score
I have a 19 Laramie (equipment level 2) that has the heated rear seats. They do recline and I have the rear center console. Are we sure that those seat backs should fold down? I reached back there (from the side of the center console) and for the life of me I can't find any loop or release of any kind.

Turbo1895

Reaction score
On this topic, I noticed strap loops sticking up above the rear seats next to the headrests in a Laramie at my dealership... I know the rear seat doesn’t fold down anymore, so does anyone know what they do? I pulled them but they didn’t budge and nothing released as far as I could tell. Will dig into the manual if I must. ;)
Those are anchor points for a car seat

Doccruz1

Reaction score
Found the string and worked on passenger side but sting pulled out on the drivers side. Now to figure out how to get open and reattach string. Lots of good storage space behind seats.

Jwb473

Reaction score
Reclining rear seat-recline forward, fold bottom seat up, lay on your back or side, and reach far up, locate "string" (see pic) pull towards door. This should release rear seat back.
I put zipper pulls on the strings so I could find the dang things.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_133659.jpg
    IMG_20200524_133659.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 149

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found the string and worked on passenger side but sting pulled out on the drivers side. Now to figure out how to get open and reattach string. Lots of good storage space behind seats.

I had the same thing happen on my Laramie except on the passenger side. I took a metal coat hanger, cut it up and bent a 90 degree hook on the end. I then worked the hook into the hole where the string was attached (study the side you were able to open and fold down). I then pulled on the coat hanger wire to release the catch. Afterward I tied a double knot so the string wouldn't pull out again.

Users who are viewing this thread