5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always put my truck in manual gear select mode of +8 as soon as I start to drive. That eliminates the truck from going into 4 cylinder mode:D

dakmary

Reaction score
Guys help me out please. I'm interested in changing my exhaust. I'm not looking for something loud at all. I heard the Borla Atak and it was too loud for me. I've heard some people even saying Borla S Type is loud. It's seams Borla touring is the way to go. All I want is just to hear the engine rumbling like old trucks. I'm not interested in race car sounds.

Here are my questions:

1- Do I need to buy a Cat back system, or a muffler is enough? (assuming I can find a muffler only)
2- do you think buy going with muffler only I will face issue (drone, weird noise.. Etc)
3- Any other brand/model I should consider ?

Thanks

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Where are you located as there may be those near you so that you’re able to hear these on your own. :)

dakmary

Reaction score
Saudi Arabia! Most likely I’ll buy it off eBay. Shipping alone gonna cost me $100-$200 depending on whether I get muffler only or cat back

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh wow well since that is the case I suggest solely going for a muffler and enjoying the sounds.

hopVIP

Reaction score
That's a neat trick with selecting 8th gear. I'll have to try that. Regarding exhaust, I'd say start with just a muffler of your liking and go from there. If you don't mess with resonators it shouldn't get too laud

hopVIP

Reaction score
Another muffler I've recently heard on these trucks is from B2 Fabrication. I'm actually impressed by the sound they make. It's simar to what I've heard from Carven and they both sound like true opened up Hemis

hopVIP

Reaction score
Also some of you may have done this or thought about it but straight pipes on these trucks actually probably sound the best. Maybe a little raspy and definitely very loud but it's true unleashed Hemi sound. I think something like a Carven or B2 to tame the beast just a little is just about perfect.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another muffler I've recently heard on these trucks is from B2 Fabrication. I'm actually impressed by the sound they make. It's simar to what I've heard from Carven and they both sound like true opened up Hemis
Just to be clear. B2 does NOT make the muffler. They use a Magnaflow and weld on to it custom piping that allows it be a DIY installation. I have the B2 and I am very pleased with the sound of the Magnaflow.

hopVIP

Reaction score
Good info...I'm considering doing that as well. Comparing it to Carven more than anything else.

Mayorofdeath

Reaction score
I'm looking for an exhaust system that allows the hemi to Express itself and if possible improve the gas mileage a little bit what would yall reccomend?

Also I'd like to get the rear bumper with the dual exhaust cutouts to add dual exhaust and add that to the truck will there be anything stopping me from doing this?

-edit- '19 ram 1500 crew cab

Last edited:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for an exhaust system that allows the hemi to Express itself and if possible improve the gas mileage a little bit what would yall reccomend?

Also I'd like to get the rear bumper with the dual exhaust cutouts to add dual exhaust and add that to the truck will there be anything stopping me from doing this?

-edit- '19 ram 1500 crew cab
I love my Magnaflow cat back on my hemi Rebel. I have had this exhaust on since December and it has a nice throaty growl without the pop/rasp/bark some of the others have. When cruising it can be quiet at low rpms ....yet get on it and it makes you feel like a kid with a hotrod. Very little drone and only odd sound is when the mds/eco system switches back to 8 cylinder. All aftermarket exhaust systems will make that more noticeable. Can use +/- buttons to shut off mds if you don't like sound. At 6800 miles starting to see better mileage on highway approx 20 mpg. If you have a hemi in the new body 2019 Ram, you should have bumper cutouts with duals already.

Mayorofdeath

Reaction score
I love my Magnaflow cat back on my hemi Rebel. I have had this exhaust on since December and it has a nice throaty growl without the pop/rasp/bark some of the others have. When cruising it can be quiet at low rpms ....yet get on it and it makes you feel like a kid with a hotrod. Very little drone and only odd sound is when the mds/eco system switches back to 8 cylinder. All aftermarket exhaust systems will make that more noticeable. Can use +/- buttons to shut off mds if you don't like sound. At 6800 miles starting to see better mileage on highway approx 20 mpg. If you have a hemi in the new body 2019 Ram, you should have bumper cutouts with duals already.

Unfortunately I dont have the new body style, I have the the "19 classic in a crew cab, the only models that I've seen have the cutouts are on the sport models. But I will have to check it out is there any sound clips of your exhaust by chance?

hopVIP

Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of magnaflows lately and they do sound great. Same with the borla atak. Does anyone have any experience with Carven?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just saw on JEGS.com, they have a FALLSAVINGS code that takes the Borla S-TYPE to $929.00 with free shipping for anyone interested. I'm about to pull the trigger...
Good find, I guess I’ll order from Jegs.

dakmary

Reaction score
Oh wow well since that is the case I suggest solely going for a muffler and enjoying the sounds.

Thanks everyone. Any muffler you would recommend? Again, I’m only interested in a slight increase in sound. B2 Fabrication (i.e magnaflow)? Carven TR? Or something else?

Damion

Reaction score
I’m very happy with my flowmaster flowfx

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/