5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

SColang22

Reaction score
How does

how does your ATAK do cruising on the highway at 60-80mph? Drone? I’m looking at the touring, but maybe S type
Got the s-type and while cruising I don’t even hear it. Only while accelerating

Lize

Reaction score
Zero drone with the Atak, can’t really hear it in the cab unless heavy on the gas.

With rear slider open you can hear it bobbing about city but not that you’d have to turn the radio up or shout.

I’ve got a car with exhaust which is fairly loud all the time, different tone on V6 and I think quieter at peak. I find that one can be quite tiring on long journeys, the Atak is nothing like that.

@ramButz very helpfully posted a thread with a video of his in the cab, worth having a search, this helped me decide. If anything the video makes it seem slightly louder.

I’m really pleased with mine and think it makes the truck even better. Makes me smile. :D

JHuggs13

Reaction score
Zero drone with the Atak, can’t really hear it in the cab unless heavy on the gas.

With rear slider open you can hear it bobbing about city but not that you’d have to turn the radio up or shout.

I’ve got a car with exhaust which is fairly loud all the time, different tone on V6 and I think quieter at peak. I find that one can be quite tiring on long journeys, the Atak is nothing like that.

@ramButz very helpfully posted a thread with a video of his in the cab, worth having a search, this helped me decide. If anything the video makes it seem slightly louder.

I’m really pleased with mine and think it makes the truck even better. Makes me smile. :D
Thanks! I sent him a message.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes it was my i did way back in march...thoughti might share this for all to see(maybe i should do and update ;) )

RamSco

Reaction score
I know that there are separate threads on several cat-back and muffler options but I was hoping to create a single thread where folks can share their thoughts. I also understand that "sound" will be heard and perceived differently by everyone of us so what may sound good to one may not be loud enough or too loud to another.

If you have thoughts on the topic please post as it may help those of us that are interested to select the best option. The Flowmaster muffler only mod appears to be the simplest and cheapest option and then the two cat-back options are over 3X the cost and I am unclear as to the benefit of the extra expense and the additional work to install.

Thank you all, in advance, for sharing your thoughts on the topic!
I did the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back all stainless with black tips. I liked it because it was 3” tubing all the way to the 4” tips and bolt on. Some of the other cat back systems are 2.5 and 2.75 to 5” tips. To me under “normal” driving conditions, it has a throaty sound comparable to an old school big block with headers and tuned mufflers. Loudness varies on throttle pressure which, of course, is manageable. Freeway cruising sound is great. When towing a boat over a summit and the truck kicks into 6th to hold 70 mph, it gets loud.

hopVIP

Reaction score
I've been listening to Carvin cat back systems on the Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi and they sound amazing. Unlike most of the other muffler manufacturers Carving doesn't change the sound of the engine (from what I've heard by my ears) but it emphasizes it. You hear more of the Hemi signature sound and can feel more of that engines grunt. I've heard them on other high performance V8s and they always bring out the bad a** natural sound from the engine without changing it into something else. I want to put one on my new 2020 Ram 1500 to let it breath free and get all the sound from that awesome Hemi.

chuckymystic

Reaction score
Got it in, took maybe an hour or 2 to install, most of the time was adjusting the tips lol. Sounds so beastly, it may be a little too loud for what I wanted to be honest....kind of annoying with the auto start stop, but they sell the front resonator so if it doesnt quiet down a little after 1k-2k miles then Ill try that. Tone is amazing though and no drone!

hopVIP

Reaction score
That's awesome, Chucky. Glad you like it. That's what I'm going to do too. The full cat back system then add a resonator if I need to.

J4U

Reaction score
Haha, for those that say the S or Atak is quiet while cruising need to get their hearing checked. The Touring was even noticable for this ole man. Love it though and the options are great!

Now get off my lawn!

Last edited:

chuckymystic

Reaction score
Haha, for those that say the S or Atak is quiet while cruising need to get their hearing checked. The Touring was even noticable for this ole man. Love it though and the options are great!

Now get off my lawn!

We are probably referring to the lack of drone that other mufflers make when it switches to 4 cyl mode....its terribly annoying and in my experience it was louder than the normal exhaust on 8cyl but not a good sound. Of course, if you are doing an exhaust system, its gonna be louder lol.

Reactions: J4U

hopVIP

Reaction score
I have heard that switching MDS off eliminates the drone. At least usually.

Users who are viewing this thread