5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

Rambro23

Reaction score
Did you have the long bed? I thought I had watched a video where the cutting was required as the Borla came for either the long or short bed but if short bed it had to be cut. Not saying I can't cut a pipe if needed but was just curious on the differences. I was pretty set on the S Type but then noticed a lot of folks with the Magnaflow on the forums here.

I do like the 5 inch tip look so that was part of going with the cat back. Plus the B2 videos I watched it seemed like it was not as loud as the Borla S Type or Magnaflow, and while I don't want the ATAK loudness I do want some growl. A noticed a number of B2 installs indicated they thought it would be louder. As for the stainless types - I live in CA in an area that gets less than 10 inches of rain a year, no snow, no salt - I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier I bought for my teenage daughter this past year, the underside of it looks brand new, almost no rust. My typical vehicle lifespan is around 5-6 years or 150k miles so pretty sure either system would last me.

I am going to dig for more sound files and video clips to sort through the two options. I appreciate all the input, thanks.
Borla sounds raspy on revs whereas Magnaflow sounds deep... didn't mind spending the extra money on Borla but for me MF had a better sound so I went with the blackout cat-back! Cheaper than Borla too! Get from www.hottexhaust.com and score 20% off.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Installed my B2 Magnaflow today. Only gripe was they sent 1/2" nuts with 7/16" bolts. WTF? Other than that I am pretty satisfied.

timmbos

Reaction score
I put on the Flowmaster 717847. Very easy direct bolt in. Not too loud. I love hearing this truck start up now. Gives a nice deep bass rumble at idle. Comes alive when you throw the go pedal down. However....when MDS kicks in quite frankly it sounds terrible. I expected it might. Sounds like a rhino fart and it resonates/vibrates through the cabin badly at low rpm and speed. At times if it gets on my nerves too bad I just put it in Tow Mode to kick out the MDS. I understand why the factory puts that gigantic muffler on these trucks to deal with the MDS frequency issues. Any aftermarket free flowing muffler IMO is going to get on your nerves when the MDS kicks in. Would I go back to stock? No. Other than during MDS, it sounds great. Just what I want.

Attachments

• flo-717847_qg_xl.jpg
    flo-717847_qg_xl.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 30

SColang22

Reaction score
I put on the Flowmaster 717847. Very easy direct bolt in. Not too loud. I love hearing this truck start up now. Gives a nice deep bass rumble at idle. Comes alive when you throw the go pedal down. However....when MDS kicks in quite frankly it sounds terrible. I expected it might. Sounds like a rhino fart and it resonates/vibrates through the cabin badly at low rpm and speed. At times if it gets on my nerves too bad I just put it in Tow Mode to kick out the MDS. I understand why the factory puts that gigantic muffler on these trucks to deal with the MDS frequency issues. Any aftermarket free flowing muffler IMO is going to get on your nerves when the MDS kicks in. Would I go back to stock? No. Other than during MDS, it sounds great. Just what I want.
I got the Boral S-type and no issues with MDS. Sounds about the same but no drone or vibrations

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does that too - but agree definitely would not go back to stock. I am going to put on the full catback exhaust this weekend and sell my Magnaflow 24" Muffler though to someone else who can use it.

Bonafide823

Reaction score
I did, paid $125 from a respectable place too. Muffler Tech in Sacramento.
I live down in Lodi and havent seen any new rams with exhaust yet. I had a flowmaster super 40 on my 15 and it sounded great. Always got complimented by other truck guys. If I end up getting a catback I'll drive up to Sac to the same place you had yours done.

Webbd30

Reaction score
What did you do with the ATAK muffler? Sorry if you already answered this elsewhere.

Simply sent it back to the company I purchased it from. Did an even exchange with a small price adjustment

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webbd30

Reaction score
Borla sounds raspy on revs whereas Magnaflow sounds deep... didn't mind spending the extra money on Borla but for me MF had a better sound so I went with the blackout cat-back! Cheaper than Borla too! Get from www.hottexhaust.com and score 20% off.

Have to disagree, yes the magnaflow has a deep sound it is also not as aggressive nor does it stand out to the borla. Again this is all IMO. But I heard several magnaflow set ups and compared to the SType borla it stood no ground.

BUT the ATaK is super raspy at high RPM. I swapped mine for the SType.

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

mike12193

Reaction score
Just to clear things up the stock exhaust does NOT need to be cut off to be removed. I have the long bed and it came off easy after I removed the spare and the aluminum shroud surrounding the spare. My install went very easy using rhino ramps, WD40 and exhaust hanger pliers. Install for the Magnaflow 19430 took about a hour. Sounds great but it does make contact with my deployable bed step.

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
Have to disagree, yes the magnaflow has a deep sound it is also not as aggressive nor does it stand out to the borla. Again this is all IMO. But I heard several magnaflow set ups and compared to the SType borla it stood no ground.

BUT the ATaK is super raspy at high RPM. I swapped mine for the SType.

Agreed. The ATAK just doesnt sound that good on these trucks. The majority of guys getting that system are just going for the "as loud as possible" sound...but its been proven over and over louder is not always better, and thats certainly the case here. Super loud exhausts are for fast vehicles, which these are not

Kadarnall

Reaction score
Simply sent it back to the company I purchased it from. Did an even exchange with a small price adjustment

Borla directly ir a third party. The took it back after install? Glad you were able to work that out.

Rambro23

Reaction score
I live down in Lodi and havent seen any new rams with exhaust yet. I had a flowmaster super 40 on my 15 and it sounded great. Always got complimented by other truck guys. If I end up getting a catback I'll drive up to Sac to the same place you had yours done.
They've done several vehicles for me in the past and all have been superb installs.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone from the Staten Island / Brooklyn area that knows a good place to get the Magnaflow Catback installed for a good price from a reputable shop?

JeffK2019

Reaction score
I have gone round and round between the Magnaflow MF and Borla S Type and decided to pull the trigger on the Borla. I did hear a Magnaflow at my local dealer and it sounds great but I am hoping the Borla is a little louder. Hopefully won't regret it on the highway!

With that said - the Borla S Type with the chrome tips not listed on Hotexhaust, which seems to be where everyone is recommending purchase. Any other suggestions? I have checked 5 or 6 sites and it's $984.99 at all of them with free shipping. Price must be set by Borla. Unless someone has a site with those magic 20% off coupons? Of the $984.99 sites two I recognize from here are Moe's and CJ's, any pro or con with either? I did order my MOPAR slush mats from CJ's (one of the few places that had them in stock) after my dealer failed to source them for me - but have not arrived yet so can't judge delivery/service yet.

So purchase site recommendations for the Borla?

SColang22

Reaction score
I have gone round and round between the Magnaflow MF and Borla S Type and decided to pull the trigger on the Borla. I did hear a Magnaflow at my local dealer and it sounds great but I am hoping the Borla is a little louder. Hopefully won't regret it on the highway!

With that said - the Borla S Type with the chrome tips not listed on Hotexhaust, which seems to be where everyone is recommending purchase. Any other suggestions? I have checked 5 or 6 sites and it's $984.99 at all of them with free shipping. Price must be set by Borla. Unless someone has a site with those magic 20% off coupons? Of the $984.99 sites two I recognize from here are Moe's and CJ's, any pro or con with either? I did order my MOPAR slush mats from CJ's (one of the few places that had them in stock) after my dealer failed to source them for me - but have not arrived yet so can't judge delivery/service yet.

So purchase site recommendations for the Borla?
I like summit racing. Always got great deals from them

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Agreed. The ATAK just doesnt sound that good on these trucks. The majority of guys getting that system are just going for the "as loud as possible" sound...but its been proven over and over louder is not always better, and thats certainly the case here. Super loud exhausts are for fast vehicles, which these are not
Got mine at Autohance.com for $910 total. They had s sitewide promotion at the time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online