5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FitCamX dashcam

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been meaning to find the time to run the rear camera wiring - I was thinking about staying high and tucking it into the gaskets and/or gaps between headliner and door pillars. Any reason you didn't go that route?

If I can't find a solution I like, I may just take the lazy route and stick it on the top of my rearview mirror like this guy did.

1676984989180.png

Link to video from that location (showing what the camera can see).

Sako458Lott

Reaction score
I was in a hurry (evening and getting dark) and running it it along the headliner seemed more difficult at the time and I didn't want to screw it up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got my camera last week and installed (front and rear). Total of about 45 min install time - longest part was routing the cable to the rear. For those wondering - I ran the cable across the front of the winshield (passenger side, tucking it into the head liner. Then removed the A pillar trim and ran down the side of the dash, under the door floor trim to the rear door frame trim and acroos the top of the rear glass. I placed my rear camera just to the passenger side of the slider.
Note that the rear camera does interfere with the FM radio reception (FM antenna I believe is in the shark fin). Putting a ferrite ring core on the cable helps but doesn't alleviate the issue. I am going to eventually relocate the run to the driver side because I believe the FM antenna runs along the passenger side,
Looking at parts diagrams and wiring, it looks like the wiring for the sharkfin runs along the passenger side, but it's really hard to distinguish. But the antenna itself is definitely in the sharkfin.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Has anyone realized when looking at playback that it keeps buffering every few secs

Once download it plays fine

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
Shame there is no way to integrate with the rearview mirror camera.
Has anyone realized when looking at playback that it keeps buffering every few secs

Once download it plays fine
i didn't have this issue on my end. maybe wifi interference?

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my camera last week and installed (front and rear). Total of about 45 min install time - longest part was routing the cable to the rear. For those wondering - I ran the cable across the front of the winshield (passenger side, tucking it into the head liner. Then removed the A pillar trim and ran down the side of the dash, under the door floor trim to the rear door frame trim and acroos the top of the rear glass. I placed my rear camera just to the passenger side of the slider.
Note that the rear camera does interfere with the FM radio reception (FM antenna I believe is in the shark fin). Putting a ferrite ring core on the cable helps but doesn't alleviate the issue. I am going to eventually relocate the run to the driver side because I believe the FM antenna runs along the passenger side,
I ordered mine it should be here next week thanks for the information I’m going to run mine down the driver side I don’t ever really use the FM but in the event I do I don’t want interference.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
What sd cards are everyone using. Wonder if the San disk I bought might be the issue

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
What sd cards are everyone using. Wonder if the San disk I bought might be the issue
Im far from being an expert but SanDisk is usually pretty good unless it's a fake, which it's not unheard of. Maybe the speed rating of the card perhaps?

MLB12

Reaction score
I've had mine in for about a week and I can say I'm reasonably pleased with it. The only concern I have is the fact that I don't really need to be looking at the front 2/3rds of my hood. With other dash cams I've had the option of mounting it a bit higher on the windshield so I could get away with not seeing the hood, or at least as much as I am with the FitCamX.

But if that's all I have to worry about, no big deal!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had mine in for about a week and I can say I'm reasonably pleased with it. The only concern I have is the fact that I don't really need to be looking at the front 2/3rds of my hood. With other dash cams I've had the option of mounting it a bit higher on the windshield so I could get away with not seeing the hood, or at least as much as I am with the FitCamX.

But if that's all I have to worry about, no big deal!
Any higher (i.e., less hood), and half the picture would just be “sky”.

1677730165082.png

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried hooking up a Comma.ai system with the FitCamX? Just wondering if it’s 1. Really necessary as the Comma is basically a dash cam 2. The Comma plugs into the same port as the FitCamX? I got mine in but I am thinking about returning it because of those reasons and I would rather have the Comma rather than FitCamX if there were any issues.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
Only option I wish it had, was gps speed overlay. otherwise i have had a few idiot of the day videos already.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Has anyone tried hooking up a Comma.ai system with the FitCamX? Just wondering if it’s 1. Really necessary as the Comma is basically a dash cam 2. The Comma plugs into the same port as the FitCamX? I got mine in but I am thinking about returning it because of those reasons and I would rather have the Comma rather than FitCamX if there were any issues.
Yeah, it seems like they use the same power source at the mirror. I’m a comma3 guy as well and absolutely love it. I have thought about doing a dash cam too, simply because the comma leaves a lot to be desired in that department. The FitCam looks super cool, but I also mount my comma off the bottom of the mirror surround using a 3d printed mount, so that’s another incompatibility for me.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get the fuse box power source for the Fitcamx and not use the mirror if you're worried about too much draw.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like they use the same power source at the mirror. I’m a comma3 guy as well and absolutely love it. I have thought about doing a dash cam too, simply because the comma leaves a lot to be desired in that department. The FitCam looks super cool, but I also mount my comma off the bottom of the mirror surround using a 3d printed mount, so that’s another incompatibility for me.
Yeah that’s what I was worried about was compatibility especially the power source and if I were to use the 3d mount because on the FitCamX it looks like this on the slits would it even be able to mount?

Attachments

• E54B69E3-0D82-4D90-8D78-13B5598C75C3.jpeg
    E54B69E3-0D82-4D90-8D78-13B5598C75C3.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 52

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I was worried about was compatibility especially the power source and if I were to use the 3d mount because on the FitCamX it looks like this on the slits would it even be able to mount?
I believe we’d have to get a new mount designed.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe we’d have to get a new mount designed.
That would be nice so the FitCamX where you plug the Comma but then it has a port where you can plug back into that and send power to the camera in start. I can’t remember but the harness for the Comma does it do the same? Where you plug it into the port and then plug the original OEM harness into that plug? I’m just worried about like triple stacking this lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would be nice so the FitCamX where you plug the Comma but then it has a port where you can plug back into that and send power to the camera in start. I can’t remember but the harness for the Comma does it do the same? Where you plug it into the port and then plug the original OEM harness into that plug? I’m just worried about like triple stacking this lol
I'd be more worried about the load on the circuit than stacking connectors.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the load on the circuit than stacking connectors.
Well that’s what I’m saying like having that much juice running through that one port would worry me. I guess I just wasn’t communicating it correctly thank you lol

Users who are viewing this thread