5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change in 2020 Ecodiesel

D-dub

Reaction score
"Never under any circumstances exceed 10,000 miles" and "we recommend 10,000 miles" are not the same thing. One insinuates you should be changing the oil long before you get to 10k, the other insinuates that you should wait until 10k to change the oil.

One of these statements is in the manual, the other isn't.

My oil life monitor hits 0% prior to 7,500 miles in most cases, which is about right for an oil cycle on a diesel engine. Diesels need fresh oil more frequently than gasoline engines because of the possibility of water, fuel, and soot contamination in the crankcase.

Also, what is it about the Quaker State oil that worries you? The virgin analysis on it shows a much more robust anti-wear package than the other oils guys commonly use on these engines. I suspect it'll hold up very well over time, and I'm about to find out for sure this summer with heavy use and analysis.
I agree with what you're saying. These engines should not be going 10k between oil changes. Q.S. oil doesn't worry me. I'm not sure how you got that from my post. It meets the API rating, viscosity, and Chryslers MS 12991 spec. So it should be fine.

Cray91

Reaction score
4 changes for $400 isn't a bad deal. Is it strictly an oil change? Does that include air filter and fuel filter for two of those services? I am guessing it is strictly the oil/filter.

I just ordered 4 oil filters, 2 fuel filters, and 2 air filters for $300 on https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/
Quaker State is $18.97/5qts at Walmart (link)

I feel like doing your own is still a little cheaper than the 4-for-$400 deal.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just because a fluid changes colour doesn't mean anything. Diesels are notorious for making their oil quite black very quickly. I change mine usually around 25% life left, which usually works out to just before winter..and then right after. Perfect timing for the harsh weather.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4 changes for $400 isn't a bad deal. Is it strictly an oil change? Does that include air filter and fuel filter for two of those services? I am guessing it is strictly the oil/filter.

I just ordered 4 oil filters, 2 fuel filters, and 2 air filters for $300 on https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/

Yeah it's a little cheaper to do it at home. But the biggest thing is if you do it at home you know it's being done correctly. With so many dealerships using the wrong oils and filters, that's peace of mind.

dirtybird

Reaction score

They rotated my tires and topped off the washer fluid and vacuumed last time. Mostly get it done there for warranty compliance. And they use the recommended Penzoil Euro stuff. The Dealer also includes a detailed sheet of everything they say they inspected.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
Switching over to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. It has the required API SN unlike Rotella. Priced at $24.99 per gallon at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Turbo-Diesel-Truck-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5W-40-1-Gal/17128879
It doesn't have the MS-12991 stamp, but Chrysler won't give their stamps to Mobil due to the contract with Shell (Penzoil) so that could be a reason.
I worry a bit about DPF and EGR health with the Euro engine oils, even though they do have the MS-12991 stamp.
What are y'all's thoughts on this oil?

1630469785705.png

tom318

Reaction score
Switching over to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. It has the required API SN unlike Rotella. Priced at $24.99 per gallon at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Turbo-Diesel-Truck-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5W-40-1-Gal/17128879
It doesn't have the MS-12991 stamp, but Chrysler won't give their stamps to Mobil due to the contract with Shell (Penzoil) so that could be a reason.
I worry a bit about DPF and EGR health with the Euro engine oils, even though they do have the MS-12991 stamp.
What are y'all's thoughts on this oil?

View attachment 104251
I'm sure the oil would be suitable but Id hesitate to use it simply because it does not have the MS-12991 stamp. You might be right that Chrysler wont give the stamp to Mobil but if you have any issues with the motor its to easy for RAM to blame the oil and not much you could do about it. I always try to cover my a** and think how I could prove my case in court if ever needed and using that oil would be a show stopper. I've been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro which is only ~$8 more per gallon on amazon. (~$50 for 6 quart) and I'm not sure its the best. My oil samples have been coming back with high aluminum content, could still be breaking in. I'm doing one more change next weekend @30k with Pennzoil and then moving to Quaker State which I found at Walmart for $10 a gallon! (think I bought 18-20gallons). Meets both API SN and MS-12991.

DieselRebel

Reaction score
I'm sure the oil would be suitable but Id hesitate to use it simply because it does not have the MS-12991 stamp. You might be right that Chrysler wont give the stamp to Mobil but if you have any issues with the motor its to easy for RAM to blame the oil and not much you could do about it. I always try to cover my a** and think how I could prove my case in court if ever needed and using that oil would be a show stopper. I've been running Pennzoil Platinum Euro which is only ~$8 more per gallon on amazon. (~$50 for 6 quart) and I'm not sure its the best. My oil samples have been coming back with high aluminum content, could still be breaking in. I'm doing one more change next weekend @30k with Pennzoil and then moving to Quaker State which I found at Walmart for $10 a gallon! (think I bought 18-20gallons). Meets both API SN and MS-12991.
So in the manual the MS-12991 is "recommended" but the specs the manual says are "required" are API-SN and 5w-40. So, you should be covered by warranty as long as you meet the required specs. My manual is an early one and also mentions API-CJ4 such as Shell Rotella T6, so my first few oil changes were with that and not meeting spec either lol

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my Ram into my dealer a couple weeks ago for an oil change. It had just over 810 miles on it and they refused stating it didn't need it yet. I explained this truck was originally shipped to a New York dealership where it sat/had test drives (one would assume) from late October 2020 until February 2021 when they traded/shipped it and two other new 2021 Ecodiesels to a local dealership here in Houston. At that time, the truck sat and/or was test driven at the local dealership from February 2021 to July 31 when I purchased it. These trucks are shipped in "Transport Mode" which does not record engine hours or engine miles. One never knows how long the truck has been idled or driven thus I wanted to be safe rather than sorry by having my first oil change done early. Please understand I've owned diesels for years and am not concerned about the color (although it was black when I purchased it with 35 miles on the odometer) as that is the nature of a diesel. My philosophy is why tempt fate - oil changes are cheap, Ecodiesels are not and the headache of dealing with a dealer over a blow engine under warranty is typically migraine inducing.

Here in Texas we have Ramcare in which every new Ram owner gets four free oil changes for the first two years of ownership. I wanted to utilize one of my free oil changes to do this yet they refused stating it wasn't time. The Service Advisor stated I could pay for one but that I couldn't utilize one of my free oil changes. I could smell that greedy, money grubbing bastard from a mile away so I just smiled, climbed back into my truck, resolved to not go back to that dealership for maintenance, and proceeded to purchase the spec oil/filter from Walmart and changed it myself last night. Other than the tight clearance between the oil drain plug and the lower frame support it was simple, quick and I know it was done correctly. My biggest fear was the pimple faced kid at the dealership assuming my 3rd gen Ecodiesel takes as much oil as a 2nd gen Ecodiesel, using a non-spec oil, failing to torque everything down, not cleaning up after job or worse.

It really made me wonder why we all continue to purchase Rams (and they supposedly have the highest owner loyalty) when most of us avoid going to the dealer for any service work as it is typically an appalling and dreadful experience.

Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram manual states 8.5 quarts of oil. It also states I can use Rotella, which I've seen at Walmart for $20 per jug. So that's around $50ish bucks for oil, $75 for the filter from the Web, so I end up at HALF what the dealer is quoting me.

But like you said, having warranty protection may be worth forking over the money to let them do it.
Not all Shell Rotella 5W40 meets there specification. You must confirm that the proper spec is listed. It’s crazy but now each manufacturer has particular specs. You can’t just grab any matching weight.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has it been addressed why RAM specifies API SN for the ecodiesel? That's a GASOLINE engine oil specification. Same goes for MS-12991, that was first spec'd for a gas engine.

Why not use diesel specs? Particularly API CK-4 (even CJ-4). I find this odd.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t care what they spec, how they spec or if I have to use Unicorn poo for lubrication as long as this 3rd Gen lasts longer than my two grenades 2nd Gen combined. 😉

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
If they dont accept the Self-Oil changes with receipts of oil and filter, and logged in the vehicle record....

Once lawyers get involve, they definitely will change their tone. This is absurd.... that people scared to do anything to their vehicles because dealers/manufacturers are bully's when it comes to warranty work.

Users who are viewing this thread