5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change in 2020 Ecodiesel

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s sad but true that both dealers in my area said they use Rotella T6 for the Gen 3 eco diesel. They also couldn’t say if the Mopar oil part number on their computer was synthetic or not.
The oil in your picture is pennzoil platinum euro spec oil. The correct oil for the Gen 3 eco diesel. In Canada it has a different part number even so it makes things even more confusing for the dealers.

Roby

Reaction score
The oil in your picture is pennzoil platinum euro spec oil. The correct oil for the Gen 3 eco diesel. In Canada it has a different part number even so it makes things even more confusing for the dealers.
So Penzoil supplies Mopar? I took that pic at the dealer who wanted $14.99 per quart!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So Penzoil supplies Mopar? I took that pic at the dealer who wanted $14.99 per quart!
The oil my dealer uses has the exact same packaging, but different part number. I’ve triple checked with them that it is the pennzoil euro and not rotella.

Rotella does not have the API-SN or ms-12991 certifications.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
For everyone changing their own oil. Just a reminder to keep the receipts., Write on the receipt the date and mileage you did the oil change. Hold on to the receipt and if you are technically minded scan a copy and upload it to your favorite cloud storage provider. Then you have it in two places and can always forward to the dealer digital copies if questioned. We always do our own, and my coworker just had a warranty issue and they asked for records. He kept all his in a binder and handed it to them along with regular oil analysis. Just saved himself $4K getting the turbo replaced.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just made an appointment for my first oil change and I was pleasantly surprised. For my '15 I had a maintenance plan and the changes were $46 each. I was expecting $200+ for my '20 but they quoted me $159. She asked me if it was old or new body so they have listings for both engines and I assume I'll get the correct oil. My dealer changes the oil on the diesels using quart and gallon containers so I'll be able to check out what kind of oil they plan on using.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Just made an appointment for my first oil change and I was pleasantly surprised. For my '15 I had a maintenance plan and the changes were $46 each. I was expecting $200+ for my '20 but they quoted me $159. She asked me if it was old or new body so they have listings for both engines and I assume I'll get the correct oil. My dealer changes the oil on the diesels using quart and gallon containers so I'll be able to check out what kind of oil they plan on using.
I would not assume the dealer will put in the correct oil. I've had my truck to the dealership 3 times for an oil change and all 3 times the techs had Rotella T6 in their hands when I made them stop and go get the correct oil for the Gen 3 (MOPAR 68231020AA).

Also, MOPAR has a service plan for the Gen 3 trucks, 4 oil changes for $400...not a bad deal, don't think I could change it myself for much less.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not assume the dealer will put in the correct oil. I've had my truck to the dealership 3 times for an oil change and all 3 times the techs had Rotella T6 in their hands when I made them stop and go get the correct oil for the Gen 3 (MOPAR 68231020AA).

Also, MOPAR has a service plan for the Gen 3 trucks, 4 oil changes for $400...not a bad deal, don't think I could change it myself for much less.
I've had my oil changed 10 times at this dealer on my '15 and I never had to correct them yet. As I said in my post, I can watch them fetch the oil from Parts and other than them not knowing about the change from Penzoil to T6 back in 2016 all has been good. I'm not worried.

As for the Mopar 4/400 plan, I don't know of one dealer (yours may) who will honor that without charging you extra. I do plan on checking when I'm their though but it is doubtful. My dealer flat out told me that they have lost too much money on the oil plans are are waiting for Mopar to create one which doesn't cost them money.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I've had my oil changed 10 times at this dealer on my '15 and I never had to correct them yet. As I said in my post, I can watch them fetch the oil from Parts and other than them not knowing about the change from Penzoil to T6 back in 2016 all has been good. I'm not worried.

As for the Mopar 4/400 plan, I don't know of one dealer (yours may) who will honor that without charging you extra. I do plan on checking when I'm their though but it is doubtful. My dealer flat out told me that they have lost too much money on the oil plans are are waiting for Mopar to create one which doesn't cost them money.
That's interesting about the dealer not honoring the MOPAR service plan without added charges, mine does accept it and has not charged extra yet.

Glad to hear your dealer is all over the correct oil to use, mine just hands the truck over to the high school kids in the quick lube bay who just naturally assume all diesels take T6...

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI. I just called Mopar and bought a plan. I got 4 changes/rotations/3 years for $455 so $110/change and $15 for the 4 rotations. The had plans both with and without rotations including 3/$315/2yr and 4/$400/3yr. There was a poster here that had issues with the 3/$315 and his dealer 6 months ago. They go all the way up to 10/5yr.

What was interesting in our discussion was that I expressed my concern that the dealer wouldn't take it and he said that Mopar entered into a huge contract with Penzoil which reduced the oil cost and that dealers are now obligated to accept the plan....We'll find out in two days how true that is ;)

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI. I just called Mopar and bought a plan. I got 4 changes/rotations/3 years for $455 so $110/change and $15 for the 4 rotations. The had plans both with and without rotations including 3/$315/2yr and 4/$400/3yr. There was a poster here that had issues with the 3/$315 and his dealer 6 months ago. They go all the way up to 10/5yr.

What was interesting in our discussion was that I expressed my concern that the dealer wouldn't take it and he said that Mopar entered into a huge contract with Penzoil which reduced the oil cost and that dealers are now obligated to accept the plan....We'll find out in two days how true that is ;)
The Pennzoil contract explains why there’s so many Pennzoil posters at the service counter at my dealership.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The oil my dealer uses has the exact same packaging, but different part number. I’ve triple checked with them that it is the pennzoil euro and not rotella.

Rotella does not have the API-SN or ms-12991 certifications.
API-SN does not apply to diesel engines, regardless of what RAM says or has in the manual.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
API-SN does not apply to diesel engines, regardless of what RAM says or has in the manual.
I agree that API spec oil is typically used in gasoline engines, but in this case FCA is listing it as a requirement for the new eco diesel motor.

I’d love to run rotella T6, but do not want any warranty issues as I purchased an extended warranty and plan to keep this truck for many years.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, Oil change done. I was their first Gen 3 oil change and as expected they grabbed the T6. I stopped them and corrected them. The tech went to the computer to read the specs and confirmed that the T6 doesn't meet the specs. He commented that they had just bought a large amount of bulk T6 and someone had obviously not done their homework.

Also told them about the truck not remote starting when it was cold...they all looked at me with disbelief. But then I notice him performing a flash and lo and behold he tells me that there is a TSB for low battery , 08-41-21 which is supposed to fix the problem. They thanked me for the correction on the oil spec.

They also accepted my new Oil Change Plan so the cost was 113.75 for the change, rotation which I'm pretty happy about as it will save me $284.80 over the 4 oil changes/rotations.

While waiting I had all I could do to not pull the trigger on a black TRX ;)

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All the large oil manufacturers would disagree. They put it in writing on their bottles and data sheets.
The API IS all the large oil manufacturers, thats the spec. SN is ONLY for gasoline spark ignition engines. It is not tested for higher compression, diesel fuel dilution or soot levels or any of the other myriad of differences between engines.

Sx means spark ignition vehicles. Cx means compression ignition vehicles.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First oil change done. 3,000 miles, highway driving from Seattle to NC.

I replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto F106X drain valve. Stock drain plug is 1/2". I used an aluminum foil channel to vector the oil away from the crossmember. (C'mon, RAM: next time, design a drain that won't lubricate the underbody. )

The filter was easy to swap. The little scupper on the bottom side caught the one drip. Nice. (27 (?) mm)

The air filter looked pristine...and has the Fram orange color. It stayed.

Not too bad. The next one (in 7,000 more miles, so 10k total) should be MUCH easier with the Fumoto valve and a drain tube.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Walmart Canada has Penzoil Platinum on sale at the moment. $26.77 for 5 L.
That’s an awesome price. There is also a Quaker state euro oil with the ms-12991 and API S-P certification which replaced the S-N.

Has anyone found a cheaper source in Canada for fuel or oil filters yet? I’ll be doing the fuel filter with my next oil change at 45000km.

Users who are viewing this thread