5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change in 2020 Ecodiesel

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s an awesome price. There is also a Quaker state euro oil with the ms-12991 and API S-P certification which replaced the S-N.

Has anyone found a cheaper source in Canada for fuel or oil filters yet? I’ll be doing the fuel filter with my next oil change at 45000km.
I bought my oil and fuel filters at rockauto.com, it was not cheap, but cheaper than the dealerships, one thing to keep in mind if you ever buy from them, they actually charged in American funds, they had guesstimated the exchange rate, however, if I would have know I would have used my American visa.
It is a lot harder to find online deals up here in the Canadian market.

D-dub

Reaction score
DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy that filter! It's NOT a genuine Mopar filter. I made that same mistake and sent it back. That filter comes in a generic white box. It's made in China. Check with Diesel filters online.

dirtybird

Reaction score
DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy that filter! It's NOT a genuine Mopar filter. I made that same mistake and sent it back. That filter comes in a generic white box. It's made in China. Check with Diesel filters online.
That really sucks! I’ll be sending all three of them back Monday morning.

D-dub

Reaction score
That really sucks! I’ll be sending all three of them back Monday morning.
Yeah....if you look at those filters and look at a genuine Mopar filter you'll see. I'm also gonna be doing my first oil change soon as well. I have my filters and oil at the ready.

JGRaider

Reaction score
I got the EcoGuard oil and fuel filters off of Amazon, and they're both dead ringers for the Mopar brand. Probably made in the same place, and these didn't come in generic white boxes, they came in EcoGuard logo boxes.

D-dub

Reaction score
I got the EcoGuard oil and fuel filters off of Amazon, and they're both dead ringers for the Mopar brand. Probably made in the same place, and these didn't come in generic white boxes, they came in EcoGuard logo boxes.
Do you have a pic of the box yours came in? I think that may be the one I have as well. My box is white and has fiat/Mopar/Alfa print all over it. The filter cap itself has the 'M' Mopar logo and numbers on it.

JGRaider

Reaction score
I don't know how to post pictures. Hope this helps.

OIl Filter: plug this in Amazon

ECOGARD S11880 Premium Cartridge Engine Filter for Synthetic Oil Fits Jeep Wrangler 3.0 DIESEL 2020 |RAM 1500 3.0 DIESEL 2020​

Fuel Filter:

ECOGARD XF11883 Premium Diesel Fuel Filter​

D-dub

Reaction score
That's the one.
My only concern would be is if I were to have a engine problem and had to bring the truck to the dealer, that they could void the warranty due to the filter not being a genuine Mopar filter. I'm sure any of these filters will work, but I'd rather buy a Mopar filter and not worry about voiding my warranty some how.

JGRaider

Reaction score
To each his own. This one will be every bit as good as Mopar. Like I said, probably made by the same people in the same place. You know Mopar isn't making them. Good luck!

dirtybird

Reaction score
Yeah....if you look at those filters and look at a genuine Mopar filter you'll see. I'm also gonna be doing my first oil change soon as well. I have my filters and oil at the ready.
Turns out my fist oil change was on the house! And I guess they signed me up for the prepaid 4 with rotations when I purchased the truck.
First oil change at 4,000 miles yesterday. Guess I’m good for the next 32k or so.

D-dub

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change today. I put in Q.S. euro 5w-40 that meets the MS 12991 spec. From seeing how the oil is, I personally would not go 10k miles (as recommended by FCA) between oil changes in this engine. My original oil filter was removable from the cap. So I saved the cap and waiting for the filter to drain out so I can examine it before I dispose of it. I'll have to get a Fumoto valve to make the oil changes less messy.

D-dub

Reaction score
I took a look at my oil filter. I pulled back the pleats and took a look I noticed a occasional metal spec throughout the filter. I can only assume that it's just from when the engine was manufactured. I'm glad it did the oil change when I did. Hopefully anything else that was in the oil was drained out on this change. At the next oil change I'll see if I can examine this filter and see if there's any more metal specs. Until then everything else looks good.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory installed filters will have directions printed on them to remove the cartridge filter from the cap while the mopar filters will not, twist the cartridge the same direction on the mopar replacement filter as instructed on the factory installed filter and it’ll come right out. There must have been issue with filters not being installed correctly for them to only sell the entire filter/cap assembly rather than the cartridge itself like many other modern vehicles take.

D-dub

Reaction score
The factory installed filters will have directions printed on them to remove the cartridge filter from the cap while the mopar filters will not, twist the cartridge the same direction on the mopar replacement filter as instructed on the factory installed filter and it’ll come right out. There must have been issue with filters not being installed correctly for them to only sell the entire filter/cap assembly rather than the cartridge itself like many other modern vehicles take.
Yes I seen that on the old filter. I did get it removed.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did my first oil change today. I put in Q.S. euro 5w-40 that meets the MS 12991 spec. From seeing how the oil is, I personally would not go 10k miles (as recommended by FCA) between oil changes in this engine. My original oil filter was removable from the cap. So I saved the cap and waiting for the filter to drain out so I can examine it before I dispose of it. I'll have to get a Fumoto valve to make the oil changes less messy.

"Never under any circumstances exceed 10,000 miles" and "we recommend 10,000 miles" are not the same thing. One insinuates you should be changing the oil long before you get to 10k, the other insinuates that you should wait until 10k to change the oil.

One of these statements is in the manual, the other isn't.

My oil life monitor hits 0% prior to 7,500 miles in most cases, which is about right for an oil cycle on a diesel engine. Diesels need fresh oil more frequently than gasoline engines because of the possibility of water, fuel, and soot contamination in the crankcase.

Also, what is it about the Quaker State oil that worries you? The virgin analysis on it shows a much more robust anti-wear package than the other oils guys commonly use on these engines. I suspect it'll hold up very well over time, and I'm about to find out for sure this summer with heavy use and analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread