5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change in 2020 Ecodiesel

rorischak

Reaction score
I am sure many of you have already changed your oil in your new gen ecodiesel but I thought I would fill you in on my experience.

I have 2,500 miles on the engine and I wanted to get that old oil out and fresh fluids. I decided to go to dealer the first oil change simply because I heard about how hard the filters are to get off on the hemi's and did not want to mess around with it myself OR take to an independent quick change (I never trust them anyhow).

FYI, I purchased at Koon's so my local dealer is not my purchasing dealer

I called ahead to make sure the dealer had the filter and they did so I went to the express oil change lane. All started out well but after about 15 min the service advisor came to me and said they don't currently have the specific oil required and continued on saying that they had not done any oil changes on the new gen ecodiesels. I asked if the oil was the same as the previous gen and they said no. They gave me 2 options with the first being that they would order the oil and have it there the next day OR they would go down to the local autoparts store and pick up so I said that I would wait since they would send someone immediately.

They got the oil and everything from that point went well. I asked specifically what oil the put in and they said Pennzoil 5w40 full synthetic EURO which if it would have stopped there they had in stock from previous gen trucks but he said the NEW oil spec is required and the previous Pennsoil did not have is MS-12291.

After some googling, i found some information on this new spec on Fiat's forums but I don't know much about it BUT I do appreciate them wanting to put in the proper oil

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's a bit putting off that they would not have anticipated someone wanting an oil change on their own product... At least they didn't leave you "high and dry" so to speak with the truck up on the lift... I guess you'll need to call ahead for the next time and verify.
Basic service manager checklist... oil - check, filters - check...

awsimeone

Reaction score
Regarding the oil required, my ecodiesel I just purchased last week came with a Diesel engine supplement book.

Front cover says 2020 Ram 1500 Diesel supplement.

Page 48 states,
"We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API SN engine oil category is required."

My first thought was I got the wrong book maybe it was for a classic that would have the gen 2 engine, but I went on the Mopars owner site and looked at the manuals and it matches that recommendation.

Anyone have any insight on this not matching what the OP was told by their dealer?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolarXJ

Reaction score
So the manual itself references two different material standard numbers and different brands of oils. Page 369 and 370 list one standard and mention shell rotella. Page 424 lists another standard and says the penzoil euro.

Attachments

• B8278EA1-EDE3-4CAE-8243-D53D4D97FC1F.png
    B8278EA1-EDE3-4CAE-8243-D53D4D97FC1F.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 521EFA2C-FAFC-4F80-B14E-B781C358F485.png
    521EFA2C-FAFC-4F80-B14E-B781C358F485.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 38645584-1DD9-4CDB-B20F-823186147EF0.png
    38645584-1DD9-4CDB-B20F-823186147EF0.png
    395.2 KB · Views: 145

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just called my dealership and they quoted me $250 to do an oil change. Said the oil was over $100 but wouldn't say what oil that was. Said the filter lists for $92. Plus labor and taxes. OUCH.

So, do I let the dealership rape me without lube twice a year so I can maintain the lifetime powertrain warranty they supply with all new truck sales, OR, do I save a ton of cash and do all my service myself and forfeit the lifetime warranty?

Decisions decisions...... hmm........

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I just called my dealership and they quoted me $250 to do an oil change. Said the oil was over $100 but wouldn't say what oil that was. Said the filter lists for $92. Plus labor and taxes. OUCH.

So, do I let the dealership rape me without lube twice a year so I can maintain the lifetime powertrain warranty they supply with all new truck sales, OR, do I save a ton of cash and do all my service myself and forfeit the lifetime warranty?

Thats not all of your choices, if you document that you purchased the oil and filter(s) then write it up in some form of document (Excel spreadsheet) that could work. You could also take a dated picture/video of each change.
Barring that, will the dealer allow you to purchase the oil and filter and they change it?

I'd rather pay the $$ and make sure my warranty was intact instead of saving a few bucks and risking coverage, but that's your choice.

Or, could you look into other oil change places?

awsimeone

Reaction score
When doing some more searching I found that the diesel supplement for the 2020 wrangler 3.0 ecodiesel only lists the Pennzoil euro ms-12991.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thats not all of your choices, if you document that you purchased the oil and filter(s) then write it up in some form of document (Excel spreadsheet) that could work. You could also take a dated picture/video of each change.
Barring that, will the dealer allow you to purchase the oil and filter and they change it?

I'd rather pay the $$ and make sure my warranty was intact instead of saving a few bucks and risking coverage, but that's your choice.

Or, could you look into other oil change places?
Edit - from website: planetchryslerjeep.com: (https://www.planetchryslerjeepdodge.net/3-0l-v6-eco-diesel-engine-review.htm)
How do maintenance costs of the 3.0L EcoDiesel compare to gas engines? Bottom line: They are substantially higher

• Oil Changes may cost a bit more, but you will likely do them less often. An oil change costs about $200. The 3.0L Eco-diesel requires synthetic oil and quite a bit of it. In Ram applications, it takes 10.5 quarts. In Jeep applications, it takes 8 quarts. So, oil changes will cost a bit more than on conventional engines. It's important to note, that many conventional engines now require synthetic oil, so an Eco-diesel oil change may cost significantly more than an oil change on a vehicle you are replacing, but only a bit more than a new gas engine. Also, you may change your oil less frequently than a gas engine, because the recommended oil change interval in most circumstances is 10,000 miles.
  • DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Tank needs to be filled every oil change. Depending on the amount you need, this can cost between $50 and $100
  • Fuel Filters need to be replaced every other oil change. This will cost between $200 and $270, depending on application
  • Versus a Hemi engine: A Hemi engine does not yet require synthetic oil, but it has a large oil capacity, so expect to pay $50 for an oil change, and we recommend a 5,000 mile interval, but this can be adjusted based on your requirements. So, in 20,000 miles, the Hemi would cost about $200 in scheduled maintenance (4 oil changes X $50), or 1 cent per mile, versus about $800, or 4 cents per mile.
Will an EcoDiesel Save Me Money?
For Ram 1500, the math works like this:
With gas at or below $3.00 per gallon, and diesel at or below $3.30 per gallon, you likely won't save money buying an EcoDiesel versus a gas engine. We estimate scheduled maintenance costs at 1 cent per mile for a Hemi engine, versus 4 cents per mile for the EcoDiesel. For more details on maintenance, see above.
So, considering maintenance costs, we begin with a 3 cents per mile deficit for the EcoDiesel. If gas is at $3.00 per gallon, and diesel at $3.30, the cost per mile of fuel is 16.67 cents and 13.75 cents respectively. This assumes 18 MPG gas and 24 MPG diesel. Some people may object to these estimates, and they only reflect my driving, but I've logged tens of thousands of miles on both the EcoDiesel and the Hemi in Ram 1500's, and this is my real-world experience. In any event, the cost of fuel, per mile, is 2.92 cents lower with the diesel using these assumptions, so it's about break-even once you consider the maintenance cost difference. Once you add in the upfront cost of the engine, it's unlikely you will save money overall at current fuel prices, however, if fuel prices increase substantially, your savings could be large. For example, if regular unleaded cost $5.00 per gallon and diesel was $5.30, then the cost per mile for gas would be 28 cents and for diesel only 22 cents.

End of copied article

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram manual states 8.5 quarts of oil. It also states I can use Rotella, which I've seen at Walmart for $20 per jug. So that's around $50ish bucks for oil, $75 for the filter from the Web, so I end up at HALF what the dealer is quoting me.

But like you said, having warranty protection may be worth forking over the money to let them do it.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Edit - from website: planetchryslerjeep.com: (https://www.planetchryslerjeepdodge.net/3-0l-v6-eco-diesel-engine-review.htm)
How do maintenance costs of the 3.0L EcoDiesel compare to gas engines? Bottom line: They are substantially higher

• Oil Changes may cost a bit more, but you will likely do them less often. An oil change costs about $200. The 3.0L Eco-diesel requires synthetic oil and quite a bit of it. In Ram applications, it takes 10.5 quarts. In Jeep applications, it takes 8 quarts. So, oil changes will cost a bit more than on conventional engines. It's important to note, that many conventional engines now require synthetic oil, so an Eco-diesel oil change may cost significantly more than an oil change on a vehicle you are replacing, but only a bit more than a new gas engine. Also, you may change your oil less frequently than a gas engine, because the recommended oil change interval in most circumstances is 10,000 miles.
  • DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Tank needs to be filled every oil change. Depending on the amount you need, this can cost between $50 and $100
  • Fuel Filters need to be replaced every other oil change. This will cost between $200 and $270, depending on application
  • Versus a Hemi engine: A Hemi engine does not yet require synthetic oil, but it has a large oil capacity, so expect to pay $50 for an oil change, and we recommend a 5,000 mile interval, but this can be adjusted based on your requirements. So, in 20,000 miles, the Hemi would cost about $200 in scheduled maintenance (4 oil changes X $50), or 1 cent per mile, versus about $800, or 4 cents per mile.
Will an EcoDiesel Save Me Money?
For Ram 1500, the math works like this:
With gas at or below $3.00 per gallon, and diesel at or below $3.30 per gallon, you likely won't save money buying an EcoDiesel versus a gas engine. We estimate scheduled maintenance costs at 1 cent per mile for a Hemi engine, versus 4 cents per mile for the EcoDiesel. For more details on maintenance, see above.
So, considering maintenance costs, we begin with a 3 cents per mile deficit for the EcoDiesel. If gas is at $3.00 per gallon, and diesel at $3.30, the cost per mile of fuel is 16.67 cents and 13.75 cents respectively. This assumes 18 MPG gas and 24 MPG diesel. Some people may object to these estimates, and they only reflect my driving, but I've logged tens of thousands of miles on both the EcoDiesel and the Hemi in Ram 1500's, and this is my real-world experience. In any event, the cost of fuel, per mile, is 2.92 cents lower with the diesel using these assumptions, so it's about break-even once you consider the maintenance cost difference. Once you add in the upfront cost of the engine, it's unlikely you will save money overall at current fuel prices, however, if fuel prices increase substantially, your savings could be large. For example, if regular unleaded cost $5.00 per gallon and diesel was $5.30, then the cost per mile for gas would be 28 cents and for diesel only 22 cents.

End of copied article

This article is by owner of dealership - its not Ram certified/back information. For example, the article states:

Confirmed specs on new 3rd Generation engine (2020 Model Year and beyond):

• 260 Horsepower (+20)
  • 480 lb-ft of torque (+60) for Ram 1500 442 lb-ft in Wrangler
  • Stop/start technology added to improve efficiency and fuel economy

===> I cant find Stop/Start technology on my EcoDiesel anywhere :ROFLMAO:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Its just info from the year before the truck came out, however still applies as far as basic costs go. Gas and diesel are not as high as the article supposes, and certainly we can price shop the oils and filters. The main thing is that diesels require more expensive maintenance, have higher upfront costs (but should bring a higher resale).

I just look for relevant articles and post them, its up to the reader to decide what they want to do.

JoeEcodiesel

Reaction score

So doing your own oil change/ maintenance voids lifetime warranty? Where did you see that information?

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So doing your own oil change/ maintenance voids lifetime warranty? Where did you see that information?

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition

It's always been their policy. If you buy new from them, they'll give you a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch is that you have to let them do all regular maintenance.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's always been their policy. If you buy new from them, they'll give you a lifetime powertrain warranty. The catch is that you have to let them do all regular maintenance.
That's federally illegal, Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's federally illegal, Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure federal law doesn't apply to a product or service that is created and sold by an individual dealership/business. The warranty offered from the factory by an auto manufacturer is one thing. An add-on service or warranty created by a dealership as a sales gimmick is another.

In any case, I did the math and figured that I would spend a few thousand dollars unnecessarily on basic maintenance over the first 100,000 miles, so by the time I get to the point where their lifetime powertrain warranty would kick in and offer me any help, I'd already be a few thousand in the hole. I would NEED to have an expensive failure just to break even.

So, with that being said and also just because I like servicing my own stuff, I've decided to sacrifice their warranty and do my own maintenance. I have the oil, filters, and Fumoto valve in my garage ready to go when I hit 5,000 miles. After that I'll go by the oil life monitor and do occasional oil analysis.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure federal law doesn't apply to a product or service that is created and sold by an individual dealership/business. The warranty offered from the factory by an auto manufacturer is one thing. An add-on service or warranty created by a dealership as a sales gimmick is another.

In any case, I did the math and figured that I would spend a few thousand dollars unnecessarily on basic maintenance over the first 100,000 miles, so by the time I get to the point where their lifetime powertrain warranty would kick in and offer me any help, I'd already be a few thousand in the hole. I would NEED to have an expensive failure just to break even.

So, with that being said and also just because I like servicing my own stuff, I've decided to sacrifice their warranty and do my own maintenance. I have the oil, filters, and Fumoto valve in my garage ready to go when I hit 5,000 miles. After that I'll go by the oil life monitor and do occasional oil analysis.

It applies to EVEYTHING. That's where implied warranties come into play. The product at a minimum should be fit for purpose. If it's ever been advertised, mentioned, spoken or implied it's a warranty as far as the law goes. EVERYTHING has a warranty unless it explicitly says no warranty. even then many states won't let you sign away an implied warranty.

THE MMWA is the ultimate trump card when dealer with auto manufacturers and many electronic devices. It' doesn't matter what they say in fine print the MMWA supercedes most of it and makes it void. Void if removed stickers, lies. have to use their service or products for matenance, lies. so long as it meets specs you can go anywhere and do whatever you like. They can flag or "void" your warranty all they want in a computer and you will own them with the MMWA where you get all legals fees and trebled damages for wilful infringement.

Kidder

Reaction score

92 bucks for an oil filter is a joke. Sounds like a total dealer scam.

KOOPS

Reaction score

Lifetime warranty? My window sticker for the EcoDiesel Powertrain says $100k, 5yrs. Am I mistaken????

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
92 bucks for an oil filter is a joke. Sounds like a total dealer scam.

Nope, that's the FCA list price on the filter.

Lifetime warranty? My window sticker for the EcoDiesel Powertrain says $100k, 5yrs. Am I mistaken????

It's not a FCA warranty. It's a dealership-specific warranty. They use it as a sales gimmick. "Come to us for your service and we'll warranty the powertrain forever!"

Users who are viewing this thread