5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change, dealer pricing.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Sheesh, $200+ oil changes seem ridiculous. I can change oil on a semi, tractor, or combine harvester for half that price.

Half ton gas pickups cost maybe $20 for a full synthetic oil change and filter and heavy duty diesel engine oil is under $8 per gallon here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sheesh, $200+ oil changes seem ridiculous. I can change oil on a semi, tractor, or combine harvester for half that price.

Half ton gas pickups cost maybe $20 for a full synthetic oil change and filter and heavy duty diesel engine oil is under $8 per gallon here.

Not sure you can get away with $20 for a full synthetic oil change and filter on a half ton gas unless you mean just labor? The cheapest quality synthetic is about $22 for 5 quart jug (most need 7 quarts), the oil filter is about $8 or so. Assuming you do it yourself, it's still more expensive just for oil & filter. Where do you live where it's that cheap to get a dealership oil change?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure you can get away with $20 for a full synthetic oil change and filter on a half ton gas unless you mean just labor? The cheapest quality synthetic is about $22 for 5 quart jug (most need 7 quarts), the oil filter is about $8 or so. Assuming you do it yourself, it's still more expensive just for oil & filter. Where do you live where it's that cheap to get a dealership oil change?

I think he means doing it himself. There are quality 5-quart jugs of synethic on the shelf at Walmart starting at $13.88 and going up from there. Not trash oil, quality full synethic. Then the Mopar filter is what, $9 bucks?

Compare that to $45 for the Mopar EcoDiesel filter and $50 for the oil and it's a pretty huge difference.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Just had my second oil chance performed here in Texas at just under 12k.
I had them change the oil& filter, fuel filter, and rotate the tires, total cost for that visit $247.
And the nice thing was, they already knew what oil to put in :) I will add I supplied the oil and fuel filter.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had them change the oil& filter, fuel filter, and rotate the tires, total cost for that visit $247.
And the nice thing was, they already knew what oil to put in :) I will add I supplied the oil and fuel filter.
So you paid $247 AND you supplied the oil and filter??? Sounds crazy to me and I understand you have a diesel:oops:

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Without supplying product doing and oil change tire rotation and fuel filter service should be between $400 and $500.

There’s nothing economical about an eco-diesel. True we don’t spend as much on fuel compared to a hemi but we payout in other areas....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Without supplying product doing and oil change tire rotation and fuel filter service should be between $400 and $500.

There’s nothing economical about an eco-diesel. True we don’t spend as much on fuel compared to a hemi but we payout in other areas....
INSANE and no reason to get a diesel unless you are planning to tow and, even then, the choice is questionable as what you'll truly save on fuel you'll never get back based on the higher cost and the cost of maintenance. I'm a diesel fan too, and had one in the past...just not worth it.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
INSANE and no reason to get a diesel unless you are planning to tow and, even then, the choice is questionable as what you'll truly save on fuel you'll never get back based on the higher cost and the cost of maintenance. I'm a diesel fan too, and had one in the past...just not worth it.
Agreed.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
And the nice thing was, they already knew what oil to put in :) I will add I supplied the OIL filter and Fuel FILTER.
That help?

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Its expensive that's for sure, but I need the torque and the better MPG'S compared to the Hemi for towing and long hauls, I travel for work.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like every EcoDiesel thread turns into this from Hemi guys. I have owned both a 2019 Hemi and 2020 EcoDiesel. I'll take the EcoDiesel all day long. Averaging 28.5mpg compared to 17.5mpg. I can do an oil change myself for around $130CDN. At the dealer my Hemi for synthetic was about $150.

If you get everything done at the dealer yes you pay a premium, but there's cheaper ways to do it for sure.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And this is why I split a nice car lift with my neighbors. Can do all my own work. We have every tool in the world and one or othe other is good at something. One runs a chain of autobody shops. One does welding and im IT. We can fix anything and do it tax free.

Jako

Reaction score
And this is why I split a nice car lift with my neighbors. Can do all my own work. We have every tool in the world and one or othe other is good at something. One runs a chain of autobody shops. One does welding and im IT. We can fix anything and do it tax free.
Don't say that tax free too loud, some politician will try and figure out how to tax you!

CornTrucks

Reaction score

Yeah, I’m referring to doing it myself. I can get good synthetic oil (any name brand, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc) and a filter for $20 at any auto parts store here. My main point was just that I can change diesel on a class 9 combine harvester for under $100, and it uses about 7 gallons of oil, and it would give me a stomachache to pay more than that for a light duty vehicle.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m referring to doing it myself. I can get good synthetic oil (any name brand, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc) and a filter for $20 at any auto parts store here. My main point was just that I can change diesel on a class 9 combine harvester for under $100, and it uses about 7 gallons of oil, and it would give me a stomachache to pay more than that for a light duty vehicle.

Oh gotcha, that makes total sense. I'm only use to light stuff, but I can remember changing oil on some big equipment in the military and thought wow, this is probably expensive if I had to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread