5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change, dealer pricing.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I know there is talk around the net about dealer pricing for an oil change on these 3rd gen ecodiesels generally run upwards $250 but I just had my first oil change done today by the dealer and must say was not as bad as I thought it would be.
Now I did purchase my oil filter from dieselfiltersonline for $43+ but what I payed out the door for oil and labor was not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.
Also while in the shop they checked the torque on the windshield wipers and checked the ground bolt for the negative battery all was good.

Here is a pic of my receipt.
Well maybe not no matter what I do to resize my pic it will not attach:mad:

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
i just payed 273.00(tax included) for oil change and fuel filter change, and i had the oil filter already. Last time i have have the dealer do the fuel filter, they charged me 60 for the filter and 60 dollars labor.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
How many km are you guys doing your first oil changes?
Windshield sticker said 6k miles when I purchased the truck from the dealer, and I think I'll have to do the fuel filter at 10k miles. So I'll probably wait to have them do the fuel and oil at 10-12k.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
i just payed 273.00(tax included) for oil change and fuel filter change, and i had the oil filter already. Last time i have have the dealer do the fuel filter, they charged me 60 for the filter and 60 dollars labor.
What oil did they use in your truck?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer I bought from has coupons also. But, if you read the fine print you'll see that EcoDiesel is excluded.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_71 Jun. 17 09.59.jpg
    ScreenHunter_71 Jun. 17 09.59.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 69

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Changed mine at 5,6xx miles - first one was free but the next one would be about $220

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did my first one myself. fumotomo valve, gen2 cap and filter. 8.5 quarts of oil

from now on, my cost is $14 a filter( bought a case of 10 ), and the oil at somewhere about $23 a gallon. So $50 an oil change for the next 100,000 miles or so.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Did my first one myself. fumotomo valve, gen2 cap and filter. 8.5 quarts of oil

from now on, my cost is $14 a filter( bought a case of 10 ), and the oil at somewhere about $23 a gallon. So $50 an oil change for the next 100,000 miles or so.
So the 2nd gen caps will work on the 3rd gens? Did you happen to take any pics comparing the two caps?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look the same except the 3rd gen filter has an open core and is slightly larger and the cap has a bypass valve in it. 2nd gen the filter top is solid and cap is too. works fine, same oil pressures. Im guessing the bypass is a workaround for the supposedly "solved" EGR soot problem and clogging filters and intakes and destroying the bearings in the 2nd gens.

BeCy

Reaction score
My Ecodiesel came with Ram Care. 4 oil changes at any dealership over 2 years. Not sure if that's a Texas thing or everyone gets it. I didn't ask for it and salesman provided it for me.

Carqueen21

Reaction score
I know there is talk around the net about dealer pricing for an oil change on these 3rd gen ecodiesels generally run upwards $250 but I just had my first oil change done today by the dealer and must say was not as bad as I thought it would be.
Now I did purchase my oil filter from dieselfiltersonline for $43+ but what I payed out the door for oil and labor was not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.
Also while in the shop they checked the torque on the windshield wipers and checked the ground bolt for the negative battery all was good.

Here is a pic of my receipt.
Well maybe not no matter what I do to resize my pic it will not attach:mad:
All of my customer’s first are free and when they return to buy more vehicles I give them one for the other one or a couple.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Aseras - Your warranty is now void - Good luck!
Theres so many of you who have no idea how warranties work.

You can remove the warranty void stickers, meaningless. You can use aftermarket parts, or modify your car or whatever how you like.

You dont have to use dealer parts or services. You can use aftermarket parts. Amsoil makes an oil filter bypass to rotate the filter and use better ones. None of this voids your warranty.

If you do something that does cause damage it only voids the warranty on that specific part and only if the manufacturer can prove it directly led to the failure.

Theres no you did this your warranty is void. Thats illegal and the fact cracks down on it. Microsoft, Apple, Samsung and many others have been fined for illegally voiding warranties and preventing aftermarket parts.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I buy my own WIX XP filter from RockAuto.com for $6.83 (far better quality than the OEM Mopar)...buy Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic from Walmart for $22 for 5 quarts and have them perform labor. They charge $20 labor to use my stuff and change the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread