5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers Crossed...Brake Squeal Resolved

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
So as this tends to be an issue that is related to brakes and the risk are being passed onto the consumer I am reaching out to a legal advisor who deals with NHTSA by forcing companies to Recall Safety items on a vehicle vs TSBs, which brakes are classified as a safety feature. I dealt with this issue for well over a year, and did not have this issue until moving to California from Virginia. Thus the issue did not start presenting itself until ~32k. I have both issues, the front brakes, Chrysler Star # S1805000008, that constantly occurs when braking above ~40mph and rear reversing issue, TSB 05-001-19 Rev B, if parked overnight and backed out 1st thing in the am. Reason I am now escalating this is a causal of trying to allow Ram to do the right thing. However, in order to get my brakes updated to the revised version of calipers and rear bracket installed, I am having to do it majority out of pocket. Both brakes and rotors were inspected and determined they do not need to be replaced from a periodic maintenance stance, however the pads are recommended and Ram recommends replacing the rotors at the sametime.

I do have an extended warranty through Chrysler, so with my deductible I got the Front Calipers repaired. However, Brakes, Rotors, Rear Caliper bracket would not be covered and I would of had to spend ~1000-1500 for all items from the Star Case and TSB to be covered. I declined and it was clearly noted on my ticket that customer declined brake and rotor update/replacement. I got @RamCares involved who sent it to a Customer Care Rep. They quickly responded:

In regards to your Ram, we fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved, however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration. The vehicle has exceeded the time and/or mileage limitations of the warranty (or warranties) we offered on the vehicle at the time it was purchased.

12months/12,000miles Wear and Tear

• Brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums)
  • Wiper blades
  • Clutch discs or clutch assembly
  • Windshield and rear window
  • Wheel alignment and balancing
Thus the escalation to a Legal Advisor. This statement from customer care I would totally agree with if it was related to a normal wear and tear scenario. However it is not, it is clearly a Caliper and Brake Pad Redesign/Update. Front Caliper and Brake Pads are a new part. Rear Caliper is a New Bracket to stop movement in the Caliper. My guess was an original design error when incorporating the new electric rear parking brake into the caliper.

I truly believe the following items should be a Safety Recall: Front Brake Caliper, Front Brake Pad, Rear brake bracket. The Rotors are not updated, but due to glazing caused by the defects they recommend replacing it. They state that it does not effect braking quality, but I know for a fact it adjusted the way I brake backing up and when slowing down from 40mph.

So one Item that I need help with to continue pushing this issue is the Number customers affected. This includes customers who have had this covered, not covered and paid repairs, and customers who have not had this repaired but are dealing with the symptoms.

Also I have noticed unless you print the TSB and/or reference the Star Case the dealership says can not duplicate (Which happened to me 3 times) and this final time was printing the TSB and stating to refer to the STAR case number for the front brakes.
Again this risk should not be put on the consumer, nor should require the consumer to pay out of pocket for a design defect. Until it is pushed into a Recall, it is TOTALLY UP TO A DEALER how the customer is taken care of as well. Thus some have had the dealer work with them and others have been delivered the same news as me.
@RamCares thank you for your help, as you did try to get this resolved

NJCrabhunter

Reaction score
I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie longhorn and am experiencing the brake squeal when I lightly apply the brakes at speeds over 40 MPH (eg, light and normal braking). After purchase, the dealer said they would fix all of my issues and even the salesperson heard the loud squealing during a test drive. However, the service team said the brakes look good and have lots of pad thickness on them and they did not hear a squeal. Upon investigating this forum this seems to be a common issue with the older brake pads and in reference to STAR case S1805000008. My truck has ~19K miles and appears to have the older style pads with the small gap. My problem was not fixed by the dealer after my purchase (and promise to fix everything!) and said this noise is normal. I find this noise unacceptable.

Any update on this resolution by others?

Barqs

Reaction score
I just purchased a certified pre-owned 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie longhorn and am experiencing the brake squeal when I lightly apply the brakes at speeds over 40 MPH (eg, light and normal braking). After purchase, the dealer said they would fix all of my issues and even the salesperson heard the loud squealing during a test drive. However, the service team said the brakes look good and have lots of pad thickness on them and they did not hear a squeal. Upon investigating this forum this seems to be a common issue with the older brake pads and in reference to STAR case S1805000008. My truck has ~19K miles and appears to have the older style pads with the small gap. My problem was not fixed by the dealer after my purchase (and promise to fix everything!) and said this noise is normal. I find this noise unacceptable.

Any update on this resolution by others?
Request that they pull up the multiple TSBs addressing the brake noise issues and implement those solutions to your satisfaction. If they are unwilling to do that and the brake noise drives you crazy (as it did me), you may have to consider pushing to have them buy the vehicle back from you since they were unwilling to "make it right".

I took my truck in 3-4 times and to different dealers before they were able to resolve my noise issues, but it's been fine ever since. They replaced pads, rotors, and hardware before it finally went away.

NJCrabhunter

Reaction score
Thanks Barqs. My dealer may give me a problem and seem puzzled when I brought up the STAR case number S1805000008 and the prior TSBs for the backing up brake moan (which I don't have right now). My guess is that the prior owner didn't care enough to get the front brake squeal fixed and I didn't hear it on the initial test drives either as it is sporadic and the brakes need to be warm. I contacted RAM cares but no answer yet. They have to replace my radio/head unit because the GPS was showing the wrong location (parts on order) so I will give them another chance to fix it the correct way when it goes in for that repair and not just tell me the remaining pad thickness. I like your suggestion to buy it back in case they are unwilling to make it right!

Barqs

Reaction score
Thanks Barqs. My dealer may give me a problem and seem puzzled when I brought up the STAR case number S1805000008 and the prior TSBs for the backing up brake moan (which I don't have right now). My guess is that the prior owner didn't care enough to get the front brake squeal fixed and I didn't hear it on the initial test drives either as it is sporadic and the brakes need to be warm. I contacted RAM cares but no answer yet. They have to replace my radio/head unit because the GPS was showing the wrong location (parts on order) so I will give them another chance to fix it the correct way when it goes in for that repair and not just tell me the remaining pad thickness. I like your suggestion to buy it back in case they are unwilling to make it right!
Mine still has the occasional back up moan after sitting a period of time, but I don't mind that near as much as when it would squeal every time I went to slow down. It was flat out embarrassing to me whenever I'd have to stop at the entry gates for work. It sounded like a 20-30 year old vehicle.

LARAMIE1500

Reaction score
So as this tends to be an issue that is related to brakes and the risk are being passed onto the consumer I am reaching out to a legal advisor who deals with NHTSA by forcing companies to Recall Safety items on a vehicle vs TSBs, which brakes are classified as a safety feature. I dealt with this issue for well over a year, and did not have this issue until moving to California from Virginia. Thus the issue did not start presenting itself until ~32k. I have both issues, the front brakes, Chrysler Star # S1805000008, that constantly occurs when braking above ~40mph and rear reversing issue, TSB 05-001-19 Rev B, if parked overnight and backed out 1st thing in the am. Reason I am now escalating this is a causal of trying to allow Ram to do the right thing. However, in order to get my brakes updated to the revised version of calipers and rear bracket installed, I am having to do it majority out of pocket. Both brakes and rotors were inspected and determined they do not need to be replaced from a periodic maintenance stance, however the pads are recommended and Ram recommends replacing the rotors at the sametime.

I do have an extended warranty through Chrysler, so with my deductible I got the Front Calipers repaired. However, Brakes, Rotors, Rear Caliper bracket would not be covered and I would of had to spend ~1000-1500 for all items from the Star Case and TSB to be covered. I declined and it was clearly noted on my ticket that customer declined brake and rotor update/replacement. I got @RamCares involved who sent it to a Customer Care Rep. They quickly responded:

In regards to your Ram, we fully appreciate your concern, particularly in view of the expense and inconvenience involved, however, we are unable to accommodate your request for out-of-warranty consideration. The vehicle has exceeded the time and/or mileage limitations of the warranty (or warranties) we offered on the vehicle at the time it was purchased.

12months/12,000miles Wear and Tear

• Brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums)
  • Wiper blades
  • Clutch discs or clutch assembly
  • Windshield and rear window
  • Wheel alignment and balancing
Thus the escalation to a Legal Advisor. This statement from customer care I would totally agree with if it was related to a normal wear and tear scenario. However it is not, it is clearly a Caliper and Brake Pad Redesign/Update. Front Caliper and Brake Pads are a new part. Rear Caliper is a New Bracket to stop movement in the Caliper. My guess was an original design error when incorporating the new electric rear parking brake into the caliper.

I truly believe the following items should be a Safety Recall: Front Brake Caliper, Front Brake Pad, Rear brake bracket. The Rotors are not updated, but due to glazing caused by the defects they recommend replacing it. They state that it does not effect braking quality, but I know for a fact it adjusted the way I brake backing up and when slowing down from 40mph.

So one Item that I need help with to continue pushing this issue is the Number customers affected. This includes customers who have had this covered, not covered and paid repairs, and customers who have not had this repaired but are dealing with the symptoms.

Also I have noticed unless you print the TSB and/or reference the Star Case the dealership says can not duplicate (Which happened to me 3 times) and this final time was printing the TSB and stating to refer to the STAR case number for the front brakes.
Again this risk should not be put on the consumer, nor should require the consumer to pay out of pocket for a design defect. Until it is pushed into a Recall, it is TOTALLY UP TO A DEALER how the customer is taken care of as well. Thus some have had the dealer work with them and others have been delivered the same news as me.
@RamCares thank you for your help, as you did try to get this resolved
Hi! hate to say it but also having the same problems woth the break squealing, any chance you got a copy of the star case S1805000008 ?
Thanks in advance, I was able to find the TSB for rear brake moan but not the one for the front breaks, Thanks

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi LARAMIE1500,

We are unfortunately unable to give any repair procedures due to liability. However, if you do decide to get this serviced at a dealer, we can escalate your case to a case manager and let them know about this specific STAR case to assist in expediting your repair.

Callie
Ram Cares

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Hi! hate to say it but also having the same problems woth the break squealing, any chance you got a copy of the star case S1805000008 ?
Thanks in advance, I was able to find the TSB for rear brake moan but not the one for the front breaks, Thanks
So I was able to on my own following the TSBs and parts referenced. Sad thing this was after spending $500 through the dealership with 2 individual 100 diagnostic fees.

I will say this, enjoy/love the truck. Hate the Customer Service and dealership experience. My previous manufacturer (Toyota) and dealership always put Customer satisfaction first and I never had to fight to resolve an issue. With this Ram, everything to include software reflashes, has been some scale of battle or demand to pay for service. Without this forum and support from it I would of sold the truck.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Sorry long thread - anyone have the TSB or STAR numbers for back up brake moan? Is this covered under 3/36 only or the powertrain?

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Sorry long thread - anyone have the TSB or STAR numbers for back up brake moan? Is this covered under 3/36 only or the powertrain?
TSB 05-001-19 Rev B, and mine was not. Only the 12/12,000. Doesn't mean your dealership won't help you.

I'm at 100k on the truck now, and will say this is just part of the break job. Now that the truck has been on the market for longer I was able to get high end brake pads, and did the TSB and no issues since.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few listed in the Technical Service Bulletins section of our Resources page.

I will say that I had this TSB done in 2019, and the brakes still moan in reverse when they’ve been wet or gotten dirty recently.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Bummer - I ordered the kit. For $50 it's not even worth a dealer trip. I will start there and continue looking for resolutions if it does not resolve.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2019 ended up going 63k before trading it in on this new 23. Always done it in reverse and I never done anything about it. Never had any braking issues at all nor ever changed the pads or rotors out in 63k. If you don't mind a little noise while backing up just leave it. The 23 so far has not done it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is too long of a thread to read it all. Back in the late 70s, one thing we would do to help eliminate brake noise, was to chamfer the edges of the pads. The sharp corners would make the pads vibrate, and that's what brake noise is, is the sound of vibration, not scraping.

raygun9

Reaction score
Bummer - I ordered the kit. For $50 it's not even worth a dealer trip. I will start there and continue looking for resolutions if it does not resolve.
From where? Everywhere I saw shipping was another 15. Still worth it vs a dealer visit but just curious.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Adrianp89

Reaction score
From where? Everywhere I saw shipping was another 15. Still worth it vs a dealer visit but just curious.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

One the generic OEM stores online, was like $62 shipped... it just came in today. I will post results.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
One the generic OEM stores online, was like $62 shipped... it just came in today. I will post results.
Install premise isn't too difficult. Would have been better on a lift with maybe tire off. Would have been better with better tools too. I tried using hand tools only but eventually gave in and used impact. The bolts are on there tight, a small breaker bar is enough, but I had to keep using the breaker bar to get it most of way out. The u-bolt is damn near impossible to keep lined up without an impact. Finished last night, haven't drove it yet to see if any differences.

Users who are viewing this thread