5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falcon - Teraflex Kit out

cervelo15

Reaction score
So this thread piqued my interest, mainly because I may be abandoning the original route I had with the Mopar 2" lift. 2 months out and I'm still waiting for the Mopar kit to come in and after a call today, it's still listed on backorder.

So if I am following this correctly, if I purchased this kit and set it to level setting, it will level out the truck with zero rake (or maybe .5" or less)? That's with doing nothing other than installing this kit, no other modifications?

I have a set of ORG springs in my garage that I was going to put on the front with the Mopar lift to eliminate the rake. Can I still use those with this kit? I'm imagining if I put the ORG springs on the front, it will be nose high, so I'd either need a spacer or the ORG springs out back to truly level it out (and make sure it's level all around).

I'm considering this kit because the options out there are out of stock or too much lift than I want. I don't haul or tow much, but putting this kit on will ensure when I do, I can have some versatility. I'm not concerned with retaining rake. Because honestly, sitting in my garage, the amount of stock rake is ugly to me.

pjz

Reaction score
@cervelo15 that sounds like a good plan. They don’t give full level but with the org spring you may get there and a spacer out back would help keep it level when you are loaded. I have the timber grove air bags that are amazing and a bolt on install. You could do that over a spacer and have lots of flexibility there from towing, loaded to empty. We tow a 5k trailer and I like getting the height adjusted just right and keeps my headlights out of everyone’s eyes.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this thread piqued my interest, mainly because I may be abandoning the original route I had with the Mopar 2" lift. 2 months out and I'm still waiting for the Mopar kit to come in and after a call today, it's still listed on backorder.

So if I am following this correctly, if I purchased this kit and set it to level setting, it will level out the truck with zero rake (or maybe .5" or less)? That's with doing nothing other than installing this kit, no other modifications?

I have a set of ORG springs in my garage that I was going to put on the front with the Mopar lift to eliminate the rake. Can I still use those with this kit? I'm imagining if I put the ORG springs on the front, it will be nose high, so I'd either need a spacer or the ORG springs out back to truly level it out (and make sure it's level all around).

I'm considering this kit because the options out there are out of stock or too much lift than I want. I don't haul or tow much, but putting this kit on will ensure when I do, I can have some versatility. I'm not concerned with retaining rake. Because honestly, sitting in my garage, the amount of stock rake is ugly to me.

Hmm. So I will agree on that last point! While I wanted to retain some rake? I really felt that the stock rake was a liiiiiiiiiiittle much. I'm someone who believes in retaining it, but it was a little much.

So here's medium-setting from the other side:

RamRebelFalconshockMed.png

I'm thinking if I put it in "level", on my truck, it would be realllly really F-ing close.
If it's off, I think that within .5in would be an accurate guess. Look how darn close "medium" is!
I believe when I last measured the wheel-wells, It was a scintilla over an inch of rake, not much more. I mean like 1.15 inches or something.
If I raised it another inch, lets say I got less, and "only" got like .8 inches.
= .35in
There is a smidge of "driver's side lean", The fuel tank is on that side, and so am I, and I'm like +200lbs and drive almost entirely alone. (Rams are known for driver's side lean after some age/miles).

I think level would be REAL close to level, close enough that it won't visually get on you, just my opinion. Just my opinion.
If on your setup "level" was nose high, you could lower the fronts to "medium" and lower it an inch, now that I think of it (someone correct me if you feel I'm wrong on that!)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@cervelo15 that sounds like a good plan. They don’t give full level but with the org spring you may get there and a spacer out back would help keep it level when you are loaded. I have the timber grove air bags that are amazing and a bolt on install. You could do that over a spacer and have lots of flexibility there from towing, loaded to empty. We tow a 5k trailer and I like getting the height adjusted just right and keeps my headlights out of everyone’s eyes.

Hmm. as much as I'm a little bit of an "air bag skeptic" (Firm believer in rake), I do like the falcon's enough that I'd rather go to level, put on the tires I want, and then use airbags in a pinch when needed. I'd literally rather use airbags and the shocks vs mess with them too much.

pjz

Reaction score
For now happy with this set up and tires size. Works well hauling the family and the trailer. Handling is good as a daily, at least as a well as I can expect a truck to handle.

Once AEV comes out with their lift for the DT I will go that route if I really want to go bigger on the tires. Have the full set up on my jeep and it is all factory level or better stuff. Or maybe just get a Powerwagon, or TRX, or a diesel gladiator. Need to go check my lottery tickets...

NHjake98

Reaction score
The Falcons will leave you with a .5" rake set on level. I did not want that so I installed a .5" Wulf spacer on top of my from Falcon shocks. I left the rear alone.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Hmm. So I will agree on that last point! While I wanted to retain some rake? I really felt that the stock rake was a liiiiiiiiiiittle much. I'm someone who believes in retaining it, but it was a little much.

So here's medium-setting from the other side:

View attachment 96853

I'm thinking if I put it in "level", on my truck, it would be realllly really F-ing close.
If it's off, I think that within .5in would be an accurate guess. Look how darn close "medium" is!
I believe when I last measured the wheel-wells, It was a scintilla over an inch of rake, not much more. I mean like 1.15 inches or something.
If I raised it another inch, lets say I got less, and "only" got like .8 inches.
= .35in
There is a smidge of "driver's side lean", The fuel tank is on that side, and so am I, and I'm like +200lbs and drive almost entirely alone. (Rams are known for driver's side lean after some age/miles).

I think level would be REAL close to level, close enough that it won't visually get on you, just my opinion. Just my opinion.
If on your setup "level" was nose high, you could lower the fronts to "medium" and lower it an inch, now that I think of it (someone correct me if you feel I'm wrong on that!)
I'm seriously considering this kit, just sitting and waiting to see what's going on with the Mopar kit. I'll give it to the end of the month and if it's not here, I'm cancelling the Mopar lift and looking at this kit.

I reached out to Teraflex and they have 22 kits in stock and ship in 2-3weeks.

Ride-wise, I know it's not going to be identical to stock (love the ride of my Ram!), but its not going to be bone-jarring type of ride right? I think there tends to be a little overexaggerating sometimes that the ride really suffers, because I've seen some post everything from close to stock to one of the worst rides. I have a friend who has a lifted 4Runner with Falken WildPeaks and I think it rides fine.

I'm planning on running stock rims (20" bighorn) for now, but not sure what size tire to run on it, so I may be doing some research for that.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today I did some measurements out of curiosity, and for science.

Vehicle: 2019 Rebel, spring suspension. November 2018 build date.
Shocks: Falcon shocks, medium setting.
No other suspension mods, no spacers, no springs, sway-bars, nothing.
Tires: Stock sized Toyo AT3s, LT275/70/R18. On stock Rebel wheels, again no spacers of any sort.

Ground wasn't perfectly level, but was the same spot I've done all the other measurements I've done, so I'm keeping with continuity.

Done today with a full tank of gasoline.

Fronts:

Left front: 38.5in
Right front: 38.625in

Rears:
Left rear: 39.5in
Right rear: 39.75in

Front Ground Clearance:
To the Silver skidplate: 13in
To the front diff plate: 10.25in

NHjake98

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering this kit, just sitting and waiting to see what's going on with the Mopar kit. I'll give it to the end of the month and if it's not here, I'm cancelling the Mopar lift and looking at this kit.

I reached out to Teraflex and they have 22 kits in stock and ship in 2-3weeks.

Ride-wise, I know it's not going to be identical to stock (love the ride of my Ram!), but its not going to be bone-jarring type of ride right? I think there tends to be a little overexaggerating sometimes that the ride really suffers, because I've seen some post everything from close to stock to one of the worst rides. I have a friend who has a lifted 4Runner with Falken WildPeaks and I think it rides fine.

I'm planning on running stock rims (20" bighorn) for now, but not sure what size tire to run on it, so I may be doing some research for that.
Honestly, it will be nothing like stock....it will be better. You will have more lateral stability and a nice firm but not jarring ride. I had bilstiens before these on my F-150 and these have a much better ride IMO.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, it will be nothing like stock....it will be better. You will have more lateral stability and a nice firm but not jarring ride. I had bilstiens before these on my F-150 and these have a much better ride IMO.

I was thinking about this as I was driving today. The falcons really do increase the stability (like when cornering).
I felt the factory bilstiens were fine, but the truck would "Wallow" if you had some successive bumps. It would also roll a bit in corners.
Between the Toyo AT3 tires (good lateral grip) and the falcons? What a difference.

Just today I hit a traintrack with speed today to make a light, and the shocks really keep the truck "on rails." This thing is perfect for a bumpy road carrying speed. I believe there's a review video with just that. I think it's an F-150 driver taking a dirt road, remarking about the control and stability, and with better speed than they'd normally have taken it.

The falcons are pretty beefy when you think about it.
IIRC they're 2.25in shocks right?
PLUS remote reservoirs on the rears.
PLUS, load management knobs
PLUS you can level the truck if desired.

RamJuly21Side.png

NHjake98

Reaction score
I was thinking about this as I was driving today. The falcons really do increase the stability (like when cornering).
I felt the factory bilstiens were fine, but the truck would "Wallow" if you had some successive bumps. It would also roll a bit in corners.
Between the Toyo AT3 tires (good lateral grip) and the falcons? What a difference.

Just today I hit a traintrack with speed today to make a light, and the shocks really keep the truck "on rails." This thing is perfect for a bumpy road carrying speed. I believe there's a review video with just that. I think it's an F-150 driver taking a dirt road, remarking about the control and stability, and with better speed than they'd normally have taken it.

The falcons are pretty beefy when you think about it.
IIRC they're 2.25in shocks right?
PLUS remote reservoirs on the rears.
PLUS, load management knobs
PLUS you can level the truck if desired.

View attachment 98619
Yeah, I have had mine on for over a year now and I love em :)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I did not. I checked them and the angle is not extreme at all

Hmm. Then I'm thinking Plan A is:
- Wear out these tires (I'm telling myself I can wait that long :ROFLMAO:.
If someone on the board offered to buy these Toyo AT3s off of me I'd probably accept)
- Figure out if I can run a 1/2in rear spring spacer. I think the Falcon rear shocks supposedly have a TON of travel.
I'm guessing they have enough that a 1/2in spacer lift is no problem. If so? If I can keep some more rake?
Yep, run them level, upgrade tire size.

Although I think if I found out 295s could fit on this right NOW, I'd probably do it right now. :LOL:

Picture related, with the usual caption
"For guys who wonder what the Medium height looks like with the Teraflex shocks? It looks like this. In between stock and level."

RebelSunset721b.png

NHjake98

Reaction score
Hmm. Then I'm thinking Plan A is:
- Wear out these tires (I'm telling myself I can wait that long :ROFLMAO:.
If someone on the board offered to buy these Toyo AT3s off of me I'd probably accept)
- Figure out if I can run a 1/2in rear spring spacer. I think the Falcon rear shocks supposedly have a TON of travel.
I'm guessing they have enough that a 1/2in spacer lift is no problem. If so? If I can keep some more rake?
Yep, run them level, upgrade tire size.

Although I think if I found out 295s could fit on this right NOW, I'd probably do it right now. :LOL:

Picture related, with the usual caption
"For guys who wonder what the Medium height looks like with the Teraflex shocks? It looks like this. In between stock and level."

View attachment 99358
Yeah, I told myself that too.....BUT here we are..lol

Robleeeezy

Reaction score
How do you think this falcon setup will compare to the Carli fox 2.0 commuter setup? I tow once a month to the track so i dont want a stiff bouncy ride towing and not towing. How do these ride on highway, stiff or do they "float" over the bumps?

I tow once a month 4hr round trips and when not at the track we take dirt roads at the local lakes, not an extreme off roader just want a complete setup that is worth the money...

NHjake98

Reaction score
I love the way they ride on and off road. I tow two ATV's on some off road trails and I have no issues at all. I keep the rear shock setting on number 1 and have not had any issues. I don't have any experience with the Carli shocks.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More payload testing!

Today I brought 27 bags of dirt home. I pulled one off the pallet and weighed it. Scale said a smidge over 33lbs.
Rounded that's about 900lbs all said and done!
I arranged it like so:

Dirt1.png

Dirt2.png

In terms of rake, with 900lbs in the back it can look level, or nose high, or tail high depending on the angle. When I measured it, same phenomenon. On perfectly level ground, it would be darn near level.
Dirt3.png

Dirt4.png

So I flipped the lever into position 3, drove off the curb and drove home a few miles.
Articulation wise, I don't believe I hit the bumpstops when I dropped off the curb, nothing felt off or "too harsh" or "oh s**t i broke something". Nope, felt fine.

The ride felt.. odd? It didn't porpoise at all, but it felt almost choppy at times.
Again because the shocks are digressive in setting 1 you may notice small road imperfections. But once it's a meaningful bump or even better, a series of them, the shocks absolutely eat them up, it "rides on rails" particularly at speed in setting 1.
I had a theory, that setting 3 was actually too stiff for 900lbs.

While I like to set the knob before I load the truck up, I stopped, got out, and changed it to setting 2. The ride felt better.
I drove over a railroad track at about 40, trying to see if it would porpoise, it did not.

"Next time" I think the best dialed in setup would be to add a little bit of air pressure to the rear tires, say running 55psi in the fronts, and maybe 49 or 50PSI in the back. I'm curious to see if that would have felt that much better.
I'm thinking the estimates I had on some of the other payloads being 1000lbs+ were accurate, as setting 3 controlled them well, none of the "choppy' phenomenon, just a "planted" and stiff feel on setting 3. Particularly, the other time I brought dirt home.

My personal rule of thumb on the payload settings now?
Setting 1 is for all around driving.
I'm thinking at like maybe 650lbs to 1000lbs, setting 2 is worth thinking about.
For 1,000lbs+ and heavy towing, I'm thinking setting 3 is where it's at.
But again, my truck's shock height is set to Medium!

NHjake98

Reaction score
More payload testing!

Today I brought 27 bags of dirt home. I pulled one off the pallet and weighed it. Scale said a smidge over 33lbs.
Rounded that's about 900lbs all said and done!
I arranged it like so:

View attachment 101762

View attachment 101763

In terms of rake, with 900lbs in the back it can look level, or nose high, or tail high depending on the angle. When I measured it, same phenomenon. On perfectly level ground, it would be darn near level.
View attachment 101764

View attachment 101765

So I flipped the lever into position 3, drove off the curb and drove home a few miles.
Articulation wise, I don't believe I hit the bumpstops when I dropped off the curb, nothing felt off or "too harsh" or "oh s**t i broke something". Nope, felt fine.

The ride felt.. odd? It didn't porpoise at all, but it felt almost choppy at times.
Again because the shocks are digressive in setting 1 you may notice small road imperfections. But once it's a meaningful bump or even better, a series of them, the shocks absolutely eat them up, it "rides on rails" particularly at speed in setting 1.
I had a theory, that setting 3 was actually too stiff for 900lbs.

While I like to set the knob before I load the truck up, I stopped, got out, and changed it to setting 2. The ride felt better.
I drove over a railroad track at about 40, trying to see if it would porpoise, it did not.

"Next time" I think the best dialed in setup would be to add a little bit of air pressure to the rear tires, say running 55psi in the fronts, and maybe 49 or 50PSI in the back. I'm curious to see if that would have felt that much better.
I'm thinking the estimates I had on some of the other payloads being 1000lbs+ were accurate, as setting 3 controlled them well, none of the "choppy' phenomenon, just a "planted" and stiff feel on setting 3. Particularly, the other time I brought dirt home.

My personal rule of thumb on the payload settings now?
Setting 1 is for all around driving.
I'm thinking at like maybe 650lbs to 1000lbs, setting 2 is worth thinking about.
For 1,000lbs+ and heavy towing, I'm thinking setting 3 is where it's at.
But again, my truck's shock height is set to Medium!
NICE!!...I tow two 850lbs ATV's plus the trailer and I leave it on setting 1 and it handles nicely. I haven't loaded up the bed yet so this was good information.

pjz

Reaction score
Here is my latest update. Added Fuel Shok 18"x9"x01mm offset wheels to the mix.
Didn't want them sticking far out of the wheel well, but also wanted a little more clearance off the upper control arm.
Tires are Cooper 295/70/18. Had rebel wheels on before.
There is some slight rubbing at full lock, but not enough to knock the dirt out of the wheel well for me to see where it was hitting.
Will apply a heat gun to the area once identified.

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread