5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falcon - Teraflex Kit out

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was not directed at you. It was directed at all the trucks (multiple trucks) I've seen with the kit that look like they are at or below the level of my stock truck.

Did the eBay kit come with beefier shocks? No, didn't need them. I already paid for beefier shocks from the factory that ride great. Payload dampening knobs? Don't need them. I'm running the Timbren kit for serious hauling and towing when I need it.

Does my truck point toward the sky when I work it hard? Nope, I've towed 8,000 lbs and it sits close to level and drives like a dream.

My intention wasn't to rag on anybody's truck. My attention was to rag on a kit that's $1,500 and apparently does NOTHING for the buyer. All we've seen is no additional lift and complaints about ride quality. Gee, that's a great way to spend four figures.

There it is. You came here to post something inflammatory. I couldn't agree less, and in terms of what people like about the setup, there's a bunch of posts in the thread. You DID come here to point at other people's setups, that's a **** thing to do, and you're getting backlash from me, because you deserve it.
I will now add a little more spice.

Interesting, that while you cheaped out and went for spacers in the front (they aren't designed to work that way factory, vs a setup that is designed to work that way and that is a drawback whether it's acknowledged or not), you then went with timbrens in the back? I'm sure those were free. They weren't. But that also should factor into the "Well the spacers were cheaper" stuff,
Spacer + timbrens just to work right, and the result? It's not really a magic bullet in terms of loading on the axles.

Argue as we may, I would strongly suggest weighing the axles with the trailer on the back to make sure the truck's in spec for its axle weight ratings. While we might clash a on these things, despite the fact that I've got harsh words for your purposely inflammatory and arguably false posts, I'd much rather you NOT get hurt, and your truck is in one piece.

And I mean that.
People getting hurt or trucks getting broken ****ing sucks, friends or not.
For your own peace of mind, if you haven't, check some scales out, just to be sure.
It's a $50,000+ piece of equipment you put time and money into, even if I would spend it differently.
If it's fine it's fine, no biggy. Just make sure.

With that said, I'm not interested in any further replies, we're not going to accomplish anything.
You made your point. I made mine.
you may reply if you like. This is my out-stretched hand, best of luck to you and your truck with that good color.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, back to the regularly scheduled thread,
Here's the truck with I'd say about 900-1200lbs of some heavy *** water saturated logs in the back, notice it is NOW level, the brakes get to operate in their intended plane.
The medium setting on the falcon shocks was 100% the right call for me. Nice that I got some additional front lift too, while still maintaining rake!
No airbags needed, because these awesome shocks have great dampening, if you are looking for an alternative, thusfar I believe these are a good one. I had a ram rebel with an air suspension before this one (a Gen1). Honestly, today, I didn't miss it.

LogHauling1.png
LogHauling3.png

LogHauling2.png

LogHauling4.png

If anyone's looking for better load-handling without compressors, or the factory air suspension, I think this is a great solution worth looking at. (Though I do think, the ultimate-ultimate is likely a set of falcons AND air bags, if you're okay with the compressor situation.)
I turned the knob to setting 3, loaded it up, and was on my way.
After dropping off the load, I flipped back to setting 1 for a nice ride on the way back.
Re-loaded, Quickly back to setting 3 with the turn of a knob with the next load, and so on.
I took several loads today, about 3 full beds worth.
Great setup, I'm super pleased with it.

Quality, robust, fuss-free.
Feels good when loaded, and good when unloaded.

Last edited:

lkjk

Reaction score
So I'm one of these trucks in this thread, and I think this post is directed at me, though I could be wrong as I'm not quoted.
I'll be honest, just my opinion, this post is a little ****-ish, I think it would actually be fair and warranted if I posted a long, spicy reply. ;)
But I won't.
Instead, it will be shorter and spicy. :ROFLMAO:

Hrm, did that ebay kit come with beefier front shocks, beefier rear shocks, and big remote reservoirs, and payload-dampening knobs on both rear shocks, and a warranty?
Sure didn't.
Can't say I ever seriously considered pucks as an option. I personally figured, if I had money to replace tires that weren't worn out yet, I had the money to lift/level the right way with shocks, not the cheap way.

And I would never level the truck on stock shocks. Once I put stuff in the bed (I actually use my truck for truck stuff) it's pointed at the sky, and pulling weight off the front steering axle, which is a problem. Bad when hauling and when towing.

And I would definitely never go into the thread about someone's else setup and say something amounting to, "Levelling pucks are kinda the cheap option, yeah they have a look and clear tires but that's it.
You should definitely pull those and do it the right way, at least get a set of bilstien 5100s".
Because going there and saying that would kinda be a dickhead thing to do.

Edited to add: I'm also not about to hop into an Icon suspension thread and tell them I don't like how much they spent vs their lift height.
If you're reading this post and you got a set of Icons? good for you man. I hope it's awesome, and it does what you bought it to do.
I'll never knock a guy for getting a well- made suspension. It's a mod that gets used every second you're on the road.
Newb to the platform here - what's the story with Icon?

Coming from the Jeep world, Teraflex (Falcon) has been crappy parts with good marketing, but I am liking the adjustability on the fly

Rambro1776

Reaction score
So, back to the regularly scheduled thread,
Here's the truck with I'd say about 1200lbs of some heavy *** water saturated logs in the back, notice it is NOW level, the brakes get to operate in their intended plane.
The medium setting on the falcon shocks was 100% the right call for me. Nice that I got some additional front lift too, while still maintaining rake!
No airbags needed, because these awesome shocks have great dampening, if you are looking for an alternative, thusfar I believe these are a good one. I had a ram rebel with an air suspension before this one (a Gen1). Honestly, today, I didn't miss it.

View attachment 86469
View attachment 86470

View attachment 86471

View attachment 86472

If anyone's looking for better load-handling without compressors, or the factory air suspension, I think this is a great solution worth looking at. (Though I do think, the ultimate-ultimate is likely a set of falcons AND air bags, if you're okay with the compressor situation.)
I turned the knob to setting 3, loaded it up, and was on my way.
After dropping off the load, I flipped back to setting 1 for a nice ride on the way back.
Re-loaded, Quickly back to setting 3 with the turn of a knob with the next load, and so on.
I took several loads today, about 3 full beds worth.
Great setup, I'm super pleased with it.

Quality, robust, fuss-free.
Feels good when loaded, and good when unloaded.

Have you taken the setup off-road yet? If so, what was your opinion/experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you taken the setup off-road yet? If so, what was your opinion/experience?

Time-wise with work I haven't had time to do any serious wheeling.
HOWEVER I can say what dirty/muddy terrain I've seen with it, they were good.

Note I had the bilstiens with the remote reservoirs on them - I personally think they were nice shocks. They had one thing in particular they didn't like (other than cornering with speed :ROFLMAO: ) If you hit a bunch of bumps in quick succession the truck would "Wallow", the shocks wouldn't recover quickly. The falcons are vastly superior for that.
If you hit a series of potholes for example with some speed? the control is great, digressive shocks excel in that regard.

Now I have my truck set in the "medium" setting" for now, the ride has been good.
If my payload needs change in the future, I'm considering changing from medium to "levelled", and running 34.3in tiers for a little more clearance. I still have many thousands of miles left to go on the Toyo AT3s I just got.

Rambro1776

Reaction score
Time-wise with work I haven't had time to do any serious wheeling.
HOWEVER I can say what dirty/muddy terrain I've seen with it, they were good.

Note I had the bilstiens with the remote reservoirs on them - I personally think they were nice shocks. They had one thing in particular they didn't like (other than cornering with speed :ROFLMAO: ) If you hit a bunch of bumps in quick succession the truck would "Wallow", the shocks wouldn't recover quickly. The falcons are vastly superior for that.
If you hit a series of potholes for example with some speed? the control is great, digressive shocks excel in that regard.

Now I have my truck set in the "medium" setting" for now, the ride has been good.
If my payload needs change in the future, I'm considering changing from medium to "levelled", and running 34.3in tiers for a little more clearance. I still have many thousands of miles left to go on the Toyo AT3s I just got.

Appreciate the feedback! My local suspension shop just filled me in on some bad news. Apparently this kit is 12 weeks out until it’ll be back in stock. The waiting begins

pjz

Reaction score
Jumping back in here. About 9 months with the shocks. I ended up adding TimberGrove airbags. We had been renting then bought a travel trailer. Carry a bunch in the truck, have a shell and a bedside. The airbags are a nice addition to lift the slight droop in the rear under weight. Ride is still firm as everyone has noted. In the end these shocks still work well, adjustability is good, and they seem to be holding up. Would I buy them again? Not sure. The Mopar lift and off road springs along with the airbags could be a good option - saw a Ram, and talked with the guy, running that set up and he was pleased.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I recently had to haul a bunch of dirt, a little less than a pallet of dirty gardening stuff.
Dirt.png

Thedirt.png

falconshocksdirt.png

I had the shocks in payload setting "3", in retrospect, 2 might have been fine. I'm thinking 2 might be the right setting for heavy payloads, with 3 being "heavy payload/towing". I'm still learning about it!
What I can say is that turning wise I kept it slow to avoid any of the load shifting or escaping containment, or ripping open - BUT on a straightaway I hit a traintrack at about 35mph. It didn't porpoise at all. No movement whatsoever. Super poised.

Superior load control AND raising the front? I'm still a fan of the falcons!
I'm wondering if I can run a set of LT285/75R18s or LT295/70R18s with the stock wheels and the "medium" setting in front. Hmm.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RebelJune.png

And for those wondering what the "medium" setting looks like, that lifted in front but NOT level look? Another example here.

pjz

Reaction score
I am running Cooper 295/70/18s. On stock rebel wheels. They run a quite a bit smaller than stated size. Very slight rub at full lock.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running Cooper 295/70/18s. On stock rebel wheels. They run a quite a bit smaller than stated size. Very slight rub at full lock.

Which setting are you on for the front shocks, full level?

pjz

Reaction score
Had to go look. On the top ring so assuming that is full level.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to go look. On the top ring so assuming that is full level.

Interesting, so it's either level or at the "heavy equipment setting"!
I think when I get new tires, the odds of me going to a bigger set are damn near 100%

I "hate" you guys, it's like every time I log in to the forum, I lose money! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pjz

Reaction score
The fit of the Coopers is near perfect for this set up and stock wheels. Any wider and it might hit the upper control arm and taller on the front might rub more. Was also able to cram a matching spare into the spare tire slot. Had to modify the heat shield a bit to widen the opening. The spare tire touches the back side of the hitch. I have Falken's on my Jeep and they are true to size. As noted the Cooper's are way under the stated size. Depending on the brand you pick might impact the fit significantly. Good luck hanging onto your $$$$$

NHjake98

Reaction score
So I recently had to haul a bunch of dirt, a little less than a pallet of dirty gardening stuff.
View attachment 96427

View attachment 96428

View attachment 96429

I had the shocks in payload setting "3", in retrospect, 2 might have been fine. I'm thinking 2 might be the right setting for heavy payloads, with 3 being "heavy payload/towing". I'm still learning about it!
What I can say is that turning wise I kept it slow to avoid any of the load shifting or escaping containment, or ripping open - BUT on a straightaway I hit a traintrack at about 35mph. It didn't porpoise at all. No movement whatsoever. Super poised.

Superior load control AND raising the front? I'm still a fan of the falcons!
I'm wondering if I can run a set of LT285/75R18s or LT295/70R18s with the stock wheels and the "medium" setting in front. Hmm.
I am running 285/75/18 with my falcon shocks and the rear setting at 1. I am also running .75" spacers in the front and 1.00" spacers in the rear. This made the tires flush with the rebel flares.

Attachments

• 20201124_110859.jpg
    20201124_110859.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 57

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I gotta say thank you 2 gentlemen, I've been thinking of running either 295/70R18s or 285/75/R18s (TFLTruck ran this size on their Rebel), and it's very neat to see one guy running one set, one running the other! It looks like if I run the truck in the "Level" setting, I could fit either.

BUT, for me payload/rake is a concern. :confused:
I might be the guinea pig to try to find out if running a 1in spring spacer in the rear is compatible with the rear shocks. Falcon didn't know offhand when I asked.

If I could run either of those in medium, I'd run that set for sure!

The fit of the Coopers is near perfect for this set up and stock wheels. Any wider and it might hit the upper control arm and taller on the front might rub more. Was also able to cram a matching spare into the spare tire slot. Had to modify the heat shield a bit to widen the opening. The spare tire touches the back side of the hitch. I have Falken's on my Jeep and they are true to size. As noted the Cooper's are way under the stated size. Depending on the brand you pick might impact the fit significantly. Good luck hanging onto your $$$$$

I went to tiresize.com to take a look at what they measure - I think your hunch is right and I'm seeing a pattern. It looks like if you can stay around that 11.5in width mark, you can clear the upper control arms. My hunch, at 12in+ the problems start without different wheels, spacers, etc.

Finding out the spare tire can accomodate a 34.3 is fascinating.. Do you have aftermarket exhaust on your truck? (Why I ask: I have a magnaflow exhaust setup, and I'm wondering if I'd have less room to widen it up a bit). I think the Toyo AT3s measure out close to the cooper AT3s (who supposedly Toyo took a realllllllllllll good look at when making their AT2 update). I think the aggressive sidewall on the falkens might also pose a problem! They wouldn't just be wide, but they'd have rubber hanging off of it. The meager/pedestrian sidewalls of the Toyo AT3s might make it a good choice for the reasons you stated.

I am running 285/75/18 with my falcon shocks and the rear setting at 1. I am also running .75" spacers in the front and 1.00" spacers in the rear. This made the tires flush with the rebel flares.

Wait to clarify, you mean the payload dampening at setting 1, and those are wheel spacer sizes? Or spring spacers?
That setup looks real good! I saw someone with a bone stock rebel apparently said their 285/75/R18s fit :oops:
Looks crazy! I see the 2in level will clear them for sure.

I'm now thinking... Whaaat if, a "medium" setting falcon front can clear it. Do the tires rub when wheeling it a bit/do you think lowering it an inch in the front and attempting the same feat is madness?

pjz

Reaction score
@ChadT I have the magna flow bolt in replacement muffler now with the stock silencers near the tip, but had the Borla before (too loud). Dont think it matters for the spare. These tires measure only 33 3/8 on the truck. I drilled out the mounting holes on each side of the heat shield around the spare and was able to push it out for more room. It is absolutely maxed out due to the backside of the hitch. I dont think you can go wrong with either tire size. Will be a nice upgrade.

@NHjake1989 nice truck! I thought about spacers but with the Laramie it might stick out too far. May jump up to 20" wheels and a little larger tire once I wear these out.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ChadT I have the magna flow bolt in replacement muffler now with the stock silencers near the tip, but had the Borla before (too loud). Dont think it matters for the spare. These tires measure only 33 3/8 on the truck. I drilled out the mounting holes on each side of the heat shield around the spare and was able to push it out for more room. It is absolutely maxed out due to the backside of the hitch. I dont think you can go wrong with either tire size. Will be a nice upgrade.

@NHjake1989 nice truck! I thought about spacers but with the Laramie it might stick out too far. May jump up to 20" wheels and a little larger tire once I wear these out.

That magnaflows have such a nice sound.
I'm a borla Fan, I LOVED the XR1 I had bolted into the old rebel. But, I knew one day it would be too loud.

On the Gen5/Gen2 Rebel, Magnaflow system. Really has a "distance thundercloud" bassy rumble to it. Some days I wish it was louder! But it is a nice sound and about perfect for not messing with the neighbors.

For those following this thread, here's the fine gentleman's photo of fitting that 295/70R18 spare under the truck!:

I think 295 might be my size. I also have this crazy theory, that I think it might fit my truck already. I might sack up and try it at some point!

NHjake98

Reaction score
I gotta say thank you 2 gentlemen, I've been thinking of running either 295/70R18s or 285/75/R18s (TFLTruck ran this size on their Rebel), and it's very neat to see one guy running one set, one running the other! It looks like if I run the truck in the "Level" setting, I could fit either.

BUT, for me payload/rake is a concern. :confused:
I might be the guinea pig to try to find out if running a 1in spring spacer in the rear is compatible with the rear shocks. Falcon didn't know offhand when I asked.

If I could run either of those in medium, I'd run that set for sure!

I went to tiresize.com to take a look at what they measure - I think your hunch is right and I'm seeing a pattern. It looks like if you can stay around that 11.5in width mark, you can clear the upper control arms. My hunch, at 12in+ the problems start without different wheels, spacers, etc.

Finding out the spare tire can accomodate a 34.3 is fascinating.. Do you have aftermarket exhaust on your truck? (Why I ask: I have a magnaflow exhaust setup, and I'm wondering if I'd have less room to widen it up a bit). I think the Toyo AT3s measure out close to the cooper AT3s (who supposedly Toyo took a realllllllllllll good look at when making their AT2 update). I think the aggressive sidewall on the falkens might also pose a problem! They wouldn't just be wide, but they'd have rubber hanging off of it. The meager/pedestrian sidewalls of the Toyo AT3s might make it a good choice for the reasons you stated.

Wait to clarify, you mean the payload dampening at setting 1, and those are wheel spacer sizes? Or spring spacers?
That setup looks real good! I saw someone with a bone stock rebel apparently said their 285/75/R18s fit :oops:
Looks crazy! I see the 2in level will clear them for sure.

I'm now thinking... Whaaat if, a "medium" setting falcon front can clear it. Do the tires rub when wheeling it a bit/do you think lowering it an inch in the front and attempting the same feat is madness?
The payload setting is at 1 on the shocks and those .75" and 1" are wheel spacers. I have no rubbing at all!

Users who are viewing this thread