5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falcon - Teraflex Kit out

mediaMaxim

Reaction score
Been on for about 3 weeks now. On road is just a little firmer for that locked in feel but nowhere too firm! Speed bumps and potholes won’t feel much different then sto I.

Hallbag

Reaction score
Mine went on today. Not enough miles on them to give a review but will come back after a bit of time. Pretty excited so far, heading out to the desert in a few weeks to hopefully get some good runs on them.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I just had my Falcon Sport suspension installed today; front is set at normal (2-inch lift height) and rear is set at "soft" setting. I have been so excited about getting this done and couldn't wait to pick up my truck to try it out.

First thing; the truck looks so much better. It has a nice leveled, more aggressive look without looking "aftermarket". It now looks more what an off-road biased truck should look like. :)

Regarding the ride; the shock valving is definitely digressive like my previous Icon system. However, I am really surprised how much stiffer the front is than my previous Icon setup. I am pretty disappointed with the degraded on-road ride quality especially since I am still riding on the factory springs. On the flip side, it does feel like there is more lateral control.

Prior to the Falcon system, the Rebel was buttery smooth on road as you could not feel any imperfections at all...the truck just floated over everything with the factory spring rates married to the newer Bilsteins. Now, I feel every little road imperfection and truck seems to hop around more over minor bumps. I have used King and Fox suspension systems as well and they all exhibited improved ride quality (Tundra, F150, Titan), but it may be that Ram coil setup is just too good so the bar was set high for on-road ride quality (but with less lateral control than those other trucks I mentioned).

Once at speed though, I can definitely go over speed bumps and ruts at a faster speed with more rebound control so I am expecting much better performance once I take it on desert runs but may regret my decision over slower mountain rock trails.

I almost went back to King or Icon as I knew what to expect with those systems but wanted to try something new. So I am hoping that things smooth out more and that I didn't ruin my daily drive ride quality. Once I get my topper installed, I will see if that balances it out some. But right now I am going through a bit of buyers remorse.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I just had my Falcon Sport suspension installed today; front is set at normal (2-inch lift height) and rear is set at "soft" setting. I have been so excited about getting this done and couldn't wait to pick up my truck to try it out.

First thing; the truck looks so much better. It has a nice leveled, more aggressive look without looking "aftermarket". It now looks more what an off-road biased truck should look like. :)

Regarding the ride; the shock valving is definitely digressive like my previous Icon system. However, I am really surprised how much stiffer the front is than my previous Icon setup. I am pretty disappointed with the degraded on-road ride quality especially since I am still riding on the factory springs. On the flip side, it does feel like there is more lateral control.

Prior to the Falcon system, the Rebel was buttery smooth on road as you could not feel any imperfections at all...the truck just floated over everything with the factory spring rates married to the newer Bilsteins. Now, I feel every little road imperfection and truck seems to hop around more over minor bumps. I have used King and Fox suspension systems as well and they all exhibited improved ride quality (Tundra, F150, Titan), but it may be that Ram coil setup is just too good so the bar was set high for on-road ride quality (but with less lateral control than those other trucks I mentioned).

Once at speed though, I can definitely go over speed bumps and ruts at a faster speed with more rebound control so I am expecting much better performance once I take it on desert runs but may regret my decision over slower mountain rock trails.

I almost went back to King or Icon as I knew what to expect with those systems but wanted to try something new. So I am hoping that things smooth out more and that I didn't ruin my daily drive ride quality. Once I get my topper installed, I will see if that balances it out some. But right now I am going through a bit of buyers remorse.
Thank you for your honest review

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Desert dawg.... do you think it’s because you are on the factory coils? I’ve personally never had good luck from any product similar to this.

but I was optimistic that these might be better Given The brand. It just seems like trying to change a ‘comfort’ spring into a ‘performance’ spring never seems to work well.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Desert dawg.... do you think it’s because you are on the factory coils? I’ve personally never had good luck from any product similar to this.

but I was optimistic that these might be better Given The brand. It just seems like trying to change a ‘comfort’ spring into a ‘performance’ spring never seems to work well.

Possibly; I was wondering the same. I am use to the standard coil-over setup where the spring length and rate are matched to the shock length and valving.

They have great reviews with other vehicles and was recommended by shop (Desert Rat Off-Road) as well so I was very optimistic myself. I also found some quality video reviews in which folks seemed very impressed with the system. But this is a new system for the RAM that just came out so may not be as dialed in as I had hoped. I have my shop talking to Falcon to see what they think.

Also something peculiar is that Falcon advertises this system to fit both RAM 1500 and Rebel with an advertised "lift" height ranging from 0-2.25 inches. But the Rebel has a 1-inch lift over the base 1500 so I asked my shop to call Falcon and ask if I will net 2-inches of lift on Rebel or only 1-inch of lift. I just couldn't figure out how they can do that with same components for both. They confirmed that I will get 2-inches of lift so I went with it. Not!

I measured the truck before and after and only obtained 1.125-inches of front lift (middle setting) so basically just over a half of what is advertised. I can go to the top setting and probably get another 1/2-inch or so but still below the advertised (and confirmed) height increase. Considering how much stiffer the ride is right now after the install, I am thinking I don't want to try the top "haul" setting. Also, none of my net measurements match what Falcon says each setting will net.

2019+ RAM 1500/REBEL

2.25" SPORT TOW/HAUL
SHOCK LEVELING SYSTEM

+ FITS: 2019+ Ram 1500 Rebel +
+ FITS: 2019+ Ram 1500 – does NOT fit 2019+ Ram 1500 Classic +
+ FRONT LEVEL HEIGHT: 0-2.25" +
+ MAX TIRE SIZE: 315/70R17 +

FRONT:

• Sport Leveling Monotube Shocks (0-2.25” Lift)
  • Microcellular “foam” Progressive Bump Stops
  • Billet coil spring carriers
  • Injection-molded squeak-free spring isolators
  • All necessary hardware

REAR:

• Sport Tow/Haul Adjustable Piggyback Shocks (0” Lift)
  • Microcellular “foam” Progressive Bump Stops
  • Roost guards
  • All necessary hardware

Last edited:

Hallbag

Reaction score
So the reason they can get the same lift from a Rebel as a non-Rebel is because the springs are what provide the factory lift for the Rebel. Since you re-use the springs with this setup it doesn’t matter if you have the regular 1500 or Rebel you can achieve the 2” level up front. The difference is a Rebel will be 3” taller than stock 1500 and a regular 1500 will be 2” taller than stock. Check what ring they installed yours on, there are 4 (stock, “medium” 1.5” lift, “level” is 2” lift, “heavy accessory” which gives an extra .25” for winch sag). The sport/light haul/heavy haul-tow have nothing to do with lift plus they are on the rear so they wouldn’t change the front anyway. They are only to stiffen the dampening and prevent sag when the bed is loaded. Do not drive with the rear shocks in either haul setting if the bed is empty it will be way too stiff and can cause control issues.

Again, check what ring they used on your front struts. It comes out of the box at the “level” setting but maybe your shop messed with it. I have mine on level andI gained almost full 2”.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So the reason they can get the same lift from a Rebel as a non-Rebel is because the springs are what provide the factory lift for the Rebel. Since you re-use the springs with this setup it doesn’t matter if you have the regular 1500 or Rebel you can achieve the 2” level up front. The difference is a Rebel will be 3” taller than stock 1500 and a regular 1500 will be 2” taller than stock. Check what ring they installed yours on, there are 4 (stock, “medium” 1.5” lift, “level” is 2” lift, “heavy accessory” which gives an extra .25” for winch sag). The sport/light haul/heavy haul-tow have nothing to do with lift plus they are on the rear so they wouldn’t change the front anyway. They are only to stiffen the dampening and prevent sag when the bed is loaded. Do not drive with the rear shocks in either haul setting if the bed is empty it will be way too stiff and can cause control issues.

Again, check what ring they used on your front struts. It comes out of the box at the “level” setting but maybe your shop messed with it. I have mine on level andI gained almost full 2”.

Thanks Hallbag, they told me that they used the setting that came from Falcon but will have to confirm as that is the only thing that makes sense. And thanks for the correction as I misspoke when referring to the top setting as "haul" as it is not!

Hallbag

Reaction score
No problem, I thought you were talking about the adjustable rear dampeners! Do you have anything on the front of the truck, like a winch? All trucks will be different and maybe settle differently hence our two trucks, just wondering why yours is so much lower. I would have thought you got at least 1.5” if on “level” setting.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
No problem, I thought you were talking about the adjustable rear dampeners! Do you have anything on the front of the truck, like a winch? All trucks will be different and maybe settle differently hence our two trucks, just wondering why yours is so much lower. I would have thought you got at least 1.5” if on “level” setting.

That was my expectation too but only got just over an inch. Nothing on front but a set of Rigid lights...so maybe they are heavier than I thought...lol.

Hopefully I get to talk to Desert Rat Offroad today; it has to be the settings.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
So latest update on the Teraflex’s 2019+ RAM 1500/REBEL 2.25 Sport Tow/Haul system for the Rebel:

https://www.falconshocks.com/toyota-hilux (yes, the Falcon link is labeled for a Hilux…lol).

I had Desert Rat take additional measurements after they consulted with Teraflex directly; both Desert Rat and Teraflex agree that the installation seems to be fine except they cannot explain my results.

Desert Rat is also perplexed as they have spec'd out numerous Teraflex systems for Jeep builds over the years so they also had much higher expectations (pun intended...sorry)!

Having said all that, the initial build quality seems to be top rate although I have not tried to beat them up yet. At first, I was disappointed with the initial ride quality (way too stiff) but the shocks settled in pretty fast and the truck is now a joy to drive with improved street handling (not buttery smooth like the factory setup but still really good).

Also, to Teraflex's credit, they have been very responsive to both Desert Rat and myself. I am not sure what I want to do with the Falcons quite yet. I am thinking of replacing the system entirely with the Fabtech 3-inch Dirt Logic 2.5 Coilovers with UCAs but that will cost another grand or so plus need for new wheels at the very least (but definitely provide the stance and off-road clearance and performance I wanted). But I really want to try these Falcons out especially since Teraflex (and Desert Rat) have been standing up to the issue. If I go with the top perch, I might get another 1/2 inch or so of front lift and safely clear 34s on 20x9 wheels with modest offset (0MM to -6MM) but I am worried the ride would too stiff as a daily driver.

Others have installed the Falcon system on their Rebels and seem to be very happy (?) with the new shocks as well as running with 35s, so I am still at a loss on this. Darn it. :)

Desert Dawg 2020 Ram Rebel_April 2020_1a.jpg

Attachments

• Desert Dawg 2020 Ram Rebel_April 2020_1a.jpg
    Desert Dawg 2020 Ram Rebel_April 2020_1a.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Hallbag

Reaction score
I agree with your entire review (except I got closer to level than you). I was a bit worried at first about the on-road feel but they broke in after barely any time and now it’s just a firm, more-planted truck. I had them out on some fire-roads and muddy trails last weekend and they were great. Have yet to test the adjustable rears though, will come back once I do.

5413B114-0CA0-44F2-9533-C916DB92E381.jpeg 3EED57DC-291D-4155-B15C-803C53293153.jpeg

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I agree with your entire review (except I got closer to level than you). I was a bit worried at first about the on-road feel but they broke in after barely any time and now it’s just a firm, more-planted truck. I had them out on some fire-roads and muddy trails last weekend and they were great. Have yet to test the adjustable rears though, will come back once I do.

View attachment 53534 View attachment 53535

@Hallbag; thanks for posting the pics. Your truck looks good and interestingly enough, doesn't look much different from mine up front but my rear fender seems higher to me. You're also running the same 34s I was going to go with since it doesn't look like 35s would fit. I think you confirmed for me that the Falcon system really only nets out at about an inch of front lift on the Rebel (despite what Teraflex advertises). My front fender measures right at 39.5-inches from the ground (going up centerline of the wheel) and my rear is at 40.5-inches from ground to fender on 33-inch tall tires. So curious if you had measured yours with the 34s?

But it is good to hear that the system performed well both on- and off-road!

Hallbag

Reaction score
@Hallbag; thanks for posting the pics. Your truck looks good and interestingly enough, doesn't look much different from mine up front but my rear fender seems higher to me. You're also running the same 34s I was going to go with since it doesn't look like 35s would fit. I think you confirmed for me that the Falcon system really only nets out at about an inch of front lift on the Rebel (despite what Teraflex advertises). My front fender measures right at 39.5-inches from the ground (going up centerline of the wheel) and my rear is at 40.5-inches from ground to fender on 33-inch tall tires. So curious if you had measured yours with the 34s?

But it is good to hear that the system performed well both on- and off-road!

My driveway has a deceptive grade, so might be affecting the photo angles.

Stock measurements:

37.375” Floor to fender (Front)
39.625” Floor to fender (Rear)

Now:

39.625” Front
~40.2” Rear

So if you back out the tires are ~1” bigger netting .5” of lift, I got ~1.75” in the front and left with .6” of rake. It seems like I gained some in the back which may be because I haven’t loaded the bed and therefore compressed the shocks yet, or inconsistent data? Either way, fully agree it’s not level but it did close to what I expected considering mopar and readylift guys experienced the same amount of rake post “leveling”.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
My driveway has a deceptive grade, so might be affecting the photo angles.

Stock measurements:

37.375” Floor to fender (Front)
39.625” Floor to fender (Rear)

Now:

39.625” Front
~40.2” Rear

So if you back out the tires are ~1” bigger netting .5” of lift, I got ~1.75” in the front and left with .6” of rake. It seems like I gained some in the back which may be because I haven’t loaded the bed and therefore compressed the shocks yet, or inconsistent data? Either way, fully agree it’s not level but it did close to what I expected considering mopar and readylift guys experienced the same amount of rake post “leveling”.

Thanks @Hallbag for the measurements; seems like the system worked out for you pretty well as getting 1.75 inches net is a lot closer to the Teraflex claims! I know every truck is slightly different coming off the factory line so some of the discrepancy in my measurements (almost same fender height but less net lift) can be accounted for in that. Desert Rat researched this more for me and explained that Ram also tweaked the 2020 models again from the 2019s which were obviously tweaked from the 2018s. Combined with the fact that Teraflex built their system on the 2019 with the factory production line variances, it could be why I just can't get the same results as what you and others report here and in the video reviews on the 2019s.

In any case, while Teraflex has been very responsive in trying to figure this out, I made the decision yesterday to change out the Falcon system for the Fabtech 3-inch Dirt Logic Coilover/UCA system instead. I am sure I will only net out 2.25-2.5 inches of overall lift (not just the front) but now with a tuned coilover that will give me the off-road clearance and performance I want with a [reportedly] excellent street ride as well. I have only used Fabtech once before on a prior build but it was a drop-bracket kit so not the same. My previous coilover builds have been with Icon, Fox, and King but Desert Rat stands by the Dirt Logic suspension components as one of the better choices as well. So while I am upping the performance factor, it will still be interesting to find out what the resulting measurements and ride quality is compared with the Falcon system (which admittedly seems to just get better over time).

Last edited:

Downytide

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reviews I've read so far.

I'm bit disappointed seeing that the ride is stiffer, I guess my hope for it to be like a mid-travel kit is dashed, I need it to be softer!

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I
Thanks for all the reviews I've read so far.

I'm bit disappointed seeing that the ride is stiffer, I guess my hope for it to be like a mid-travel kit is dashed, I need it to be softer!

You won't be too disappointed as it still provides a very nice ride but just not as "cushy" as the factory setup. However, you do get better turn-in feel and handling which is a plus! I was too hasty in my criticism right after my install as the shocks hadn't settled in. But overall, losing some of the floatiness for improved road control and off-road performance is a good trade off. If it wasn't for my particular truck not getting the same results in front suspension height increase, I would have stayed with the Falcons.

NHjake98

Reaction score
I installed mine on my Rebel about a month ago and I have the same issue with front lift. I contacted Teraflex and the guy I talked to said his friend used the heavy duty notch on the shock to get the full leveled lift. I too was/am very disappointed that it did not completely level out the truck, BUT, I do love the ride quality. These shocks combined with the Hellwig sway bar in the rear changed the way this truck handles bumps and corners immensely.

I just wish they wouldn't advertise a 2.25" lift if that is not what we are going to get. I have posted a pic of mine but my driveway has a bit of a grade to it does make it look for level than it is. I still measure a 3/4" rake after the install.

Attachments

• Falcon3.jpg
    Falcon3.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 230

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/