5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Owner Bought a Ram Limited.......Dissapointed.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that's the big issue, it not wanting to get into 7th. Granted I towed one time and I need to find out what the truck likes and doesn't like. But being able to manually shift into 7th would make things a whole lot easier. I want to say it was over 3k at 65mph. I have a pretty vast knowledge of how engines works. Screaming or not 3k at 65mph is guzzling fuel and no where close to 9-10 mpg.
I usually run at 55/65, and run in 8th quite often. But that is this truck, and they each have a sweet spot.

1117201215.jpg

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rams/Hemi's gas mileage sucks - fact

3.92's are for pulling, not mpg's - fact

Towing 9k lbs bumper pull you should be in an HD - fact

A Limited is probably the most poorly suited for towing due to low payload. It is just a heavier vehicle with all the added gadgets (resulting in decreased payload) - fact.

Can you post a pic of your payload sticker?

If the ecoboost was that good to you I would have stuck with it honestly. Did you expect to get 10-12mpg while pulling a 9k trailer at 70mph with the Hemi? If not then was it really going to be a benefit going from 7mpg to ~9 mpg for a few times a year by swapping from a turbo to a N/A?
If I set the gear limiter in 6th and want to go 70mph that lil hemi will be screaming. I know you guys say it likes the rpms but I would imagine gas mileage would be around 5mpg. I would like the ability to put it in 7th and lock it there.

This trip was with the tow haul button on. I did experiment with the button and the truck actually seemed more apt shift to 7th and maintain it with tow haul off.

I wasn't aware of the hurricane engine. I couldn't swing a brand new truck either way so it probably wouldn't have been an option.
I usually tow without tow/haul unless I get into steep grades, and have no problem with the HP that is available. On the level it runs just over 1500 in 8th, and on a 3500 mile trip averaged over 12mpg hand calc, going from central WA to Phoenix and back again towing over 9000. admittedly I have a pick-of-the-litter truck, but these trucks are not the dog that they are made out to be by some.
🤣

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
TFL did a MPG gauntlet. Surprisingly, the Hemi got better MPG towing.

Not surprising, boost absolutely kills MPG. Golden rule, if you force feed an engine air, you need to force more fuel into it as well to keep that air/fuel mixture correct. There is no free lunch here, generally speaking if you build more power you're going to pay at the pump.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
You wouldn't want to lock it into 7th. Lugging the engine trying to keep it in a higher gear is harder on the drivetrain than running higher RPMs in a lower gear.
I would imagine at 65-70 with the 3.92 I would be 2500 rpm. Would you consider that lugging it?

tap_out_1984

Reaction score

A Limited is probably the most poorly suited for towing due to low payload. It is just a heavier vehicle with all the added gadgets (resulting in decreased payload) - fact.

If the ecoboost was that good to you I would have stuck with it honestly. Did you expect to get 10-12mpg while pulling a 9k trailer at 70mph with the Hemi? If not then was it really going to be a benefit going from 7mpg to ~9 mpg for a few times a year by swapping from a turbo to a N/A?
Nah 10-12 wouldn't have been a realistic expectation. Honestly if I could get anything over 8mpg while cruising at 70 down 95 I would have been happy. That might be a realistic goal honestly just need more time to see what the truck likes. I test drove a new ecoboost and the ram is a better truck. I'm curious how the new 10spd does towing compared to my old 6spd.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea, 3.92's are definitely bad for MPG. Terrible.
Hand calk was only 23.5

20230120_181059.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would imagine at 65-70 with the 3.92 I would be 2500 rpm. Would you consider that lugging it?
Depends on the conditions. Pulling up a hill it can be. Strong headwind, possibly.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Nah 10-12 wouldn't have been a realistic expectation. Honestly if I could get anything over 8mpg while cruising at 70 down 95 I would have been happy. That might be a realistic goal honestly just need more time to see what the truck likes. I test drove a new ecoboost and the ram is a better truck. I'm curious how the new 10spd does towing compared to my old 6spd.
10 spd would pull it great, until it goes in the shop. I had a 21 Trailboss with the 10 spd for 7 months, and I really liked it. There have been lots of reliability issues with them however.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
Depends on the conditions. Pulling up a hill it can be. Strong headwind, possibly.
Oh for sure I'm sure there is instances where it would need to downshift. On level ground I'll be happy if I can get it to hold 7th at 70mph

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh for sure I'm sure there is instances where it would need to downshift. On level ground I'll be happy if I can get it to hold 7th at 70mph
Would depend on the weight and aero of the trailer being pulled. My ATV trailer had a big ramp that folded up with expanded metal covering it. Was a huge sail catching air. When it broke off my towing mpg increased by 2mpg, and it pulled muh easier.

kzielu

Reaction score
200 miles on 75 North at 75-80 mph I routinely get between 19 and 20 mpg.

First tow will be in about a month (open car trailer) - on F150 3.5 Ecooboost with max tow package (so short gearing - 3.73 I think rear end - and 10 speed auto) I was anywhere between 13.5 and 14.5 mpg - trailer is 2000 lb, car is 3700 lb.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went and did the same switch back 2019: from a 3.5EB 10spd to a 5.7L Etrq and it definitely took some getting used to. The hemi, while being much smoother and sounds amazing.. does not have the diesel like trq the 3.5EB has. You gotta let her sing and I normally see 7th while rolling down the hwy (3.92s). With my 24' enclosed trailer I can see anywhere from 7 - 12mpg depending on the roads.

Oh, and as you foundout, she has a major drinking problem! My lifetime (50k miles) fuel mileage is just below 16mpg and that's mostly empty highway and back country road miles.

Users who are viewing this thread