5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Owner Bought a Ram Limited.......Dissapointed.

St-na

Reaction score
You haven't noticed it, but they pretty much all have it. The dealer just knows it's normal. After sitting overnight, try remote starting it, while standing in front of it. It will tick like bad lifters for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. It's because of the 0 weight oil they use these days. The lifters leak down after a few hours. Some people think it's a big deal.
The less You know the better You sleep! Friend of mine replaced V6 Pentastar even without reaching 100k, I know some people who is over 400k with the same motor. Sh.t is happening! I know that factory 3d brake light gasket is bad and I need to change the oil every 10k and after 100k to replace spark plugs and brake pads. That's all! I like Hemi and RaM. Switched from F150.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You haven't noticed it, but they pretty much all have it. The dealer just knows it's normal. After sitting overnight, try remote starting it, while standing in front of it. It will tick like bad lifters for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. It's because of the 0 weight oil they use these days. The lifters leak down after a few hours. Some people think it's a big deal.

This is not true for all hemis. Mine certainly never does this as a usual thing, it only does it once in a blue moon if I start it cold, drive for 10 seconds, turn it off and then start it cold again the next time it might tick for 2 seconds. But it doesn't do 5 to 10 seconds either, its a really short 1 to 2 seconds.

I do agree that oil and filter choice can help with this though.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest give it some more time. You had plenty of seat time in the F150 so it’s gonna take more then a few days to adjust to the difference characteristics of the Ram. Don’t give up just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is not true for all hemis. Mine certainly never does this as a usual thing, it only does it once in a blue moon if I start it cold, drive for 10 seconds, turn it off and then start it cold again the next time it might tick for 2 seconds. But it doesn't do 5 to 10 seconds either, its a really short 1 to 2 seconds.

I don't have any ticking when I remote start mine. Only 12k miles so far so still time for the ticking to develop lol. I use mobile 1 0w20 and an srt filter if it matters.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any ticking when I remote start mine. Only 12k miles so far so still time for the ticking to develop lol. I use mobile 1 0w20 and an srt filter if it matters.
Filter probably makes more of a difference than the oil weight. Anti-drainback valve in the SRT filter is better. I use the SRT filters as well

23RAM

Reaction score
No tick in mine either...many cold starts the last month with it and it's much quieter than the SUV with direct injection. Just rolled over the first 1,000 miles this week though and going for it's first oil change on Monday. Yeah I know it's early, but that's what I always do with new vehicles. After that it will likely be every 6k miles (10k km).
:)

23RAM

Reaction score
Filter probably makes more of a difference than the oil weight. Anti-drainback valve in the SRT filter is better. I use the SRT filters as well
How does the valve make any difference - isn't the filter upside down at the bottom of the engine? The filter will always be full of oil upon start up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How does the valve make any difference - isn't the filter upside down at the bottom of the engine? The filter will always be full of oil upon start up.
Anti-drainback valve in the filter helps keeps the oil from draining out of top of engine.

Dewey

Reaction score
Do you have a number for that filter?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread but these trucks have 8 gears, so 5th on the old f150 isn’t the same as 5th on the hemi. Make sure you’re in tow mode and run 89 octane too

23RAM

Reaction score
Anti-drainback valve in the filter helps keeps the oil from draining out of top of engine.
Yes I get that and it makes sense for my SUV and boat engines where the filter is on the top or side of the engine.

However, how does this help since the filter is inverted at the bottom of the engine?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I get that and it makes sense for my SUV and boat engines where the filter is on the top or side of the engine.

However, how does this help since the filter is inverted at the bottom of the engine?
I not sure how you can understand the purpose of the anti-drainback valve, but not how it works. Filter location doesn't make a difference.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Without the valve the oil pressure will bleed back, doesn’t matter where the filter it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

There is only oil in your oil filter.... If the filter is essentially blocking itself from the clean oil flowing back into where the dirty oil is so it will stay where it was.
When the engine is running there is pressure forcing the dirty side into the filter, then out of the filter into the engine
I don't think you are thinking about what we are talking about here.

I think it ight be called this but it's basically the same thing.

Anti-syphon valve​

Here's the very first google result, maybe that will make more sense to you.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

You're right about a vertical filter not needing an anti-drain back valve to keep the filter full of oil. However, the anti-drain back valve prevents the filtered oil that is in the galleries above the filter from draining back too.

Oil Filter.jpg

6of36

Reaction score
You're right about a vertical filter not needing an anti-drain back valve to keep the filter full of oil. However, the anti-drain back valve prevents the filtered oil that is in the galleries above the filter from draining back too.

View attachment 156082
That's a funny drawing. Nothing like how the oil actually flows. The only thing they got right, is that oil flows through a filter.

6of36

Reaction score

To clear this all up on the filter thing.... the check valve is necessary for filters that mount case up and flange down to prevent them from emptying. They are not necessary on motors with the filter mounted flange up. It has nothing to do with pressure, because the engine is off and it only has gravity to cause the oil to run down, which it will not do when the filter is at the bottom. The lifters leaking down has nothing to do with oil in the top of the engine. The lifters are hydraulic. Pressurized oil pumps them up to push the valve train. The valve springs push back against the lifters, and when the engine is not running, the lifters leak down. A filter check valve will not prevent that. The engine will tick, until the pressure builds back in the lifters. Some lifters leak down more than others, therefore not every engine will tick, but it is so common they consider it normal. It doesn't hurt anything. The thinner oil used these days leaks down past the seals in the lifters, easier than the old thicker oil. 30 years ago, it would not have been considered normal, and the lifters would have been replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread