5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Owner Bought a Ram Limited.......Dissapointed.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
I went and did the same switch back 2019: from a 3.5EB 10spd to a 5.7L Etrq and it definitely took some getting used to. The hemi, while being much smoother and sounds amazing.. does not have the diesel like trq the 3.5EB has. You gotta let her sing and I normally see 7th while rolling down the hwy (3.92s). With my 24' enclosed trailer I can see anywhere from 7 - 12mpg depending on the roads.

Oh, and as you foundout, she has a major drinking problem! My lifetime (50k miles) fuel mileage is just below 16mpg and that's mostly empty highway and back country road miles.

Yeah I think it was just a bit of a shock, I'm curious to do some more towing and see if I can find the sweet spots. Just keeping my fingers crossed on some flat highway I can cruise at 70mph in 7th.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
200 miles on 75 North at 75-80 mph I routinely get between 19 and 20 mpg.

First tow will be in about a month (open car trailer) - on F150 3.5 Ecooboost with max tow package (so short gearing - 3.73 I think rear end - and 10 speed auto) I was anywhere between 13.5 and 14.5 mpg - trailer is 2000 lb, car is 3700 lb.

Thats crazy I ran the NJ turnpike up to Long Island last weekend. Cruise was anywhere from 70-80 mph and I was babying it getting up to cruising speed. Best I could muster was 17

U

User_3336

The 5.6 V8 in the Titan is a thirsty mofo as well. 16-18mpg is all you're ever gonna see. People, stop bitchin' about the MPG you're getting in a Hemi! LOL
(Didn't some guy in another post somewhere say. "Well, I paid $68K for it, I expected better?")

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 5.6 V8 in the Titan is a thirsty mofo as well. 16-18mpg is all you're ever gonna see. People, stop bitchin' about the MPG you're getting in a Hemi! LOL
(Didn't some guy in another post somewhere say. "Well, I paid $68K for it, I expected better?")
They think adding options increases mileage. And think $68k is an expensive truck these days. Inflation is up 30% in the last 3 years. Of course I'm not happy with the price of the trucks, but the increase is much lower percentage than food.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another F150 EB guy switching for a Hemi Ram. I loved the engine and capability when I was towing huge regularly, but my life situation has changed, and I rarely do that anymore. So the unloaded ride of the F150 is driving me nuts, and I am ready to swap for some creature comforts.

Let's face it, you've been brainwashed & are drunk on oodles of low end torque.
You have to re-calibrate your brain when switching to any naturally aspirated engine, v8 or not.

Admittedly I find myself a little disappointed with power on Ram test drives, but I keep in mind I've been spoiled. Plus, I drove a GT package with the exhaust, and decided that I don't care - it sounds way better than any EcoBoost ever could! Whether I get a GT package or not, the GT exhaust is going on before it leaves the dealer!

You also have to re-calibrate towing expectations outside of the F150 - that's why everyone here says 9k pounds is off limits for a 1500. I'd agree, even though I did it plenty & its done by others on the regular in the F150 communities. With a few upgrades like E range tires and upgraded shocks (beneficial for any towing truck), it does it without a sweat.

The Hemi makes plenty of horses, but they all stay in the penthouse. Maybe it can be tiresome to listen to it sing for extended periods of time, but you have to rev that baby out. It will be much happier singing at 4k+RPM where it can work comfortably & efficiently vs. lugging in too high a gear.

With NA Engine towing, RPMs are your friend. Lugging leads to other issues, like overheating, and overtime added wear.

Finally, I do have to agree with others that when towing, MPG considerations go out the window.

silver billet

Reaction score
You also have to re-calibrate towing expectations outside of the F150 - that's why everyone here says 9k pounds is off limits for a 1500.

Many people say (and I agree 100%) 9000k is off limits for any half ton. It's not the power (or lack thereof), it's the light duty platform that is not suited to controlling long and heavy trailers. The suspension, axles, diffs, brakes, cooling, weight, tires... all that is much bigger/stronger/better in a 2500.

You can find Ram's with the 3.92 that are rated for 11k. Again, power not the issue though no doubt the 3.5 EB will feel somewhat stronger.

There are several limits that come into play with a truck while towing. GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, hitch rating etc.

GCWR is the one everyone naively fixates on, thinking that if their truck and trailer is under that then they're free to tow it. That's not true, the other limits are just as important.

You will run out of payload (GVWR) with half tons well before you run out of GCWR. They make 2500's for a reason, the smart guy buys one when he needs one.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Many people say (and I agree 100%) 9000k is off limits for any half ton. It's not the power (or lack thereof), it's the light duty platform that is not suited to controlling long and heavy trailers. The suspension, axles, diffs, brakes, cooling, weight, tires... all that is much bigger/stronger/better in a 2500.

You can find Ram's with the 3.92 that are rated for 11k. Again, power not the issue though no doubt the 3.5 EB will feel somewhat stronger.

There are several limits that come into play with a truck while towing. GCWR, GVWR, RAWR, hitch rating etc.

GCWR is the one everyone naively fixates on, thinking that if their truck and trailer is under that then they're free to tow it. That's not true, the other limits are just as important.

You will run out of payload (GVWR) with half tons well before you run out of GCWR. They make 2500's for a reason, the smart guy buys one when he needs one.
Agree, and payload is everything. It's passengers, so a family of 4, other than the driver may be 400lbs. If your payload is only 1100 or 1200lbs now you have dropped it to 700-800lbs. Anything in your truck is payload, a bottle jack, tools, toolbox, bed cover etc. So adding that in could easily bring it down to 600ish pounds. Then you have your tongue weight of your trailer. But people see only that one rating "tows "10,300 lbs" and think if they have a 9 or 10k lb trailer they are okay. It's going to be squirrely, it's not going to like crosswinds, it's not going to like big bumps or dips, mpg's will suck.

But if you go to a Heavy Duty, you could see payload ratings from 2000lbs - 3500 or 4000lbs. And then if you step up to the 350/3500 they can be over 5000lbs. Not even counting the torque increase, bigger frame, brakes, cooling, suspension etc.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely well aware of all the towing factors beyond just Power. The other big difference maker is shape of load. I would tow 9-10k lbs on a flatbed (which is what i usually did) any day, but would never even think about doing that weight with a RV or Box trailer. The aerodynamics of such a setup are just too much for any 1500 to deal with.

The final thing is where you tow. Pretty tame to tow across the flat lands on a straight highway, vs. up across the Rockies where I live in CO.

Edit: I should also mention that whenever I towed big, I was by myself. That's another difference maker in half ton towing given the low payloads as mentioned, and is another reason why I back the recommendations waaaaay down for RV or other family-in-the-truck towing tasks.

Quint

Reaction score
Another Ford convert here. I had a Mustang and four trucks. I only tow fishing boats and 2-place snowmobile trailers, so my expectations never needed to be backed down. It does everything that I need and is much better than the Fords in just about every way. You bought a big comfortable recliner (Limited) versus a leaner Big Horn or beefy 2500. Chalk it up as a learning lesson.

You said you were disappointed. How does your family like riding in it on these vacations? If they are happy, then you did it right. Everyone who gets into the back of my 2021 Bighorn is shocked at how much legroom there is. Passengers love these trucks.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Yeah I think it was just a bit of a shock, I'm curious to do some more towing and see if I can find the sweet spots. Just keeping my fingers crossed on some flat highway I can cruise at 70mph in 7th.
I have the V6 Pentastar, 3.21 gearing 4x4 with the pedal commander but I rarely tow, the pedal commander makes a huge difference with the truck; eco, city, sports, and sports plus which will spin the tires, 32 different settings. I use city plus 3 setting. I always wanted a Ram for over 20 years as my first new vehicle. I knew what I was getting into when going with Dodge so I'm prepared mentally for the issues I encounter; I also have 3 other 90's cars and 3 bikes so the Ram is not my daily driver. I did not want the V8 due to the hemi tick and exhaust studs breaking and poor mpg which I feel 87 octane should never be used in a hemi... my opinion. I watched this video this morning and you sound like this guy, must be some truth to your story. I got invoice pricing with $4500 in rebates, wasn't paying over 60,000 for a truck. Ram is my favorite truck despite some issues I see with it and the best interior and best looking exterior in my opinion. Here is a review for you similar to your issue.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
Another F150 EB guy switching for a Hemi Ram. I loved the engine and capability when I was towing huge regularly, but my life situation has changed, and I rarely do that anymore. So the unloaded ride of the F150 is driving me nuts, and I am ready to swap for some creature comforts.

Let's face it, you've been brainwashed & are drunk on oodles of low end torque.
You have to re-calibrate your brain when switching to any naturally aspirated engine, v8 or not.

Admittedly I find myself a little disappointed with power on Ram test drives, but I keep in mind I've been spoiled. Plus, I drove a GT package with the exhaust, and decided that I don't care - it sounds way better than any EcoBoost ever could! Whether I get a GT package or not, the GT exhaust is going on before it leaves the dealer!

You also have to re-calibrate towing expectations outside of the F150 - that's why everyone here says 9k pounds is off limits for a 1500. I'd agree, even though I did it plenty & its done by others on the regular in the F150 communities. With a few upgrades like E range tires and upgraded shocks (beneficial for any towing truck), it does it without a sweat.

The Hemi makes plenty of horses, but they all stay in the penthouse. Maybe it can be tiresome to listen to it sing for extended periods of time, but you have to rev that baby out. It will be much happier singing at 4k+RPM where it can work comfortably & efficiently vs. lugging in too high a gear.

With NA Engine towing, RPMs are your friend. Lugging leads to other issues, like overheating, and overtime added wear.

Finally, I do have to agree with others that when towing, MPG considerations go out the window.

Great response thank you. Time to re program lol

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
Another Ford convert here. I had a Mustang and four trucks. I only tow fishing boats and 2-place snowmobile trailers, so my expectations never needed to be backed down. It does everything that I need and is much better than the Fords in just about every way. You bought a big comfortable recliner (Limited) versus a leaner Big Horn or beefy 2500. Chalk it up as a learning lesson.

You said you were disappointed. How does your family like riding in it on these vacations? If they are happy, then you did it right. Everyone who gets into the back of my 2021 Bighorn is shocked at how much legroom there is. Passengers love these trucks.

Only disappointed in the towing. Thrilled with everything else with the truck. So its still a big win and upgrade.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score

Will agree to disagree. I towed probably 50k miles with my f150. Never once was there an oh **** or but clinching moment. A properly set up weight distribution hitch, sway control, good trailer breaks and a properly loaded trailer and it towed like a dream. Would a 3/4 or 1 ton have done it better..........absolutely.

llando88

Reaction score
Just adding some data points. My current truck is a '21 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x2, with 5.7 V8 / 3.92. Payload is 1,738 pounds per the door sticker. I'm very pleased with it. It's my second Ram, after my 2016 2500 Laramie. I miss the diesel, but I am not towing the larger trailers we used in 2017-2019.

Our most recent camper was a 2022 23 footer, with 6,300# GVWR. Traveling up to NJ last March to purchase it, I averaged 19.0 mpg, going the speed limit. Towing it back to FL at the end of our summer trip, I got 10.7 mpg, at around 68 mph.

Mpg towing sometimes is worse, sometimes better. Best I ever logged was 12.8 mpg in Crossville TN; worst was 9.9 mpg in Roanoke Rapids NC.

St-na

Reaction score
I have the V6 Pentastar, 3.21 gearing 4x4 with the pedal commander but I rarely tow, the pedal commander makes a huge difference with the truck; eco, city, sports, and sports plus which will spin the tires, 32 different settings. I use city plus 3 setting. I always wanted a Ram for over 20 years as my first new vehicle. I knew what I was getting into when going with Dodge so I'm prepared mentally for the issues I encounter; I also have 3 other 90's cars and 3 bikes so the Ram is not my daily driver. I did not want the V8 due to the hemi tick and exhaust studs breaking and poor mpg which I feel 87 octane should never be used in a hemi... my opinion. I watched this video this morning and you sound like this guy, must be some truth to your story. I got invoice pricing with $4500 in rebates, wasn't paying over 60,000 for a truck. Ram is my favorite truck despite some issues I see with it and the best interior and best looking exterior in my opinion. Here is a review for you similar to your issue.

I am with Hemi since 10 Years and made 170k in total on both 4th and 5th gen. Never used anything, but 87. What is the hemi tick and bolt breaking?

silver billet

Reaction score
Will agree to disagree. I towed probably 50k miles with my f150. Never once was there an oh **** or but clinching moment. A properly set up weight distribution hitch, sway control, good trailer breaks and a properly loaded trailer and it towed like a dream. Would a 3/4 or 1 ton have done it better..........absolutely.

Of course there wasn't an issue. There never is, until there is. That's the thing you gents won't learn until one point you find out the hard way (or if you're lucky you just need to scrape your seat).

6of36

Reaction score
I am with Hemi since 10 Years and made 170k in total on both 4th and 5th gen. Never used anything, but 87. What is the hemi tick and bolt breaking?
Hemis are known for ticking on startup. If you've never heard it you must be deaf. It's not a big deal, it's just lifter leak down, that disappears in seconds. They also crack exhaust manifolds, and break manifold studs. Not all of them, but VERY common.

St-na

Reaction score
Hemis are known for ticking on startup. If you've never heard it you must be deaf. It's not a big deal, it's just lifter leak down, that disappears in seconds. They also crack exhaust manifolds, and break manifold studs. Not all of them, but VERY common.
I am probably deaf, probably the dealer was also deaf when they were taken my 4th gen RaM for trade in with 140k miles.

6of36

Reaction score
I am probably deaf, probably the dealer was also deaf when they were taken my 4th gen RaM for trade in with 140k miles.
You haven't noticed it, but they pretty much all have it. The dealer just knows it's normal. After sitting overnight, try remote starting it, while standing in front of it. It will tick like bad lifters for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. It's because of the 0 weight oil they use these days. The lifters leak down after a few hours. Some people think it's a big deal.

tap_out_1984

Reaction score
Little update. I had to go pick the car up again today. Learning what the trucks like and how to manipulate it best made for a much better experience. I was able to get it to shift and stay in 7th gear for most of the highway miles and cruise around 65-70 mph at 2300-2500 rpm. Trip down was with no car but over all mpg for the trip was 8.2, I can handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread