5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F150 Lightning

Chuck19

Reaction score
Isn't this like the diesel vs gas debate? Think of all the money I will save because I get more MPG out of a diesel. However once you put pen to paper on the higher price of the diesel upgrade, higher maintenance costs etc. you realize that it will take you 7 years before you recoup your initial costs to upgrade to a diesel before you see the savings benefit, then it isn't worth it, unless you really need the diesel for serious towing. I think that is what will happen with the gas vs electric debate with gas winning out for the majority. I mean think about all the people that use their truck as a truck, they are out. How about everyone that levels or lifts their trucks and adds on bigger tires. That will reduce the range on the EV so thats a no go for the majority of that crowd. Also in regards to the range how about all the people who are upset about the range issues of the new Mach-E! If you live in a colder climate you are going to lose about a 3rd of the range through the winter months so that will greatly affect the adoption of the EV truck in colder climates. Add all that up plus more unknown issues that we start to see as these roll out and we are still a ways out before mass adoption. Additionally if there is a group that is leaning towards an EV because it is "green" ask them how all these batteries are made and powered and that eliminates that group. Talk about rolling coal 😂

Last edited:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's in the works now.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boy. I sure hope this F150 can do all these things 95% of truck people need. Hope 95% of truck people buy it.

So the damn prices on the 2500 RAM trucks I need will cone back down and since there is less demand for gas...its prices cone back down too.

And then when those 95% of truck owners can not get to the campgrounds that I can actually get a site I want finally.

I am all for it. Please let this Ford be the truck the "truck" people need.

Now. RAM needs to get the multi function tailgate to the HD and a 500 lb ft BGE in it before everyone leaves the Gas truck segment for electric.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
meh, i couldn't wait for the lightning, traded my 19 ram on a ford platinum f150, couldn't be happier. Forgot just how nice the fords are compared to ram.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
meh, i couldn't wait for the lightning, traded my 19 ram on a ford platinum f150, couldn't be happier. Forgot just how nice the fords are compared to ram.
I drove a platinum before I bought my ram. It rode like a dump truck, the interior was not nearly as premium, and the turbo lag was crappy. But to each his own. Enjoy!

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I drove a platinum before I bought my ram. It rode like a dump truck, the interior was not nearly as premium, and the turbo lag was crappy. But to each his own. Enjoy!
I bought the 5.0 v8 with the 10 speed auto, its also a 2wd so the ride is actually better than my 4wd ram was. I opted for 2wd because in the two years I owned the ram I never used the 4wd once, so it wasn't a hard decision. I did get the locking rear differential. Oh and the massaging seats are nice as well. The door panels on the ford are 3x the thickness of the ram. It also doesn't have the ****ty air conditioner the Ram had, lol. But, enough bashing on the Rams, it was a nice truck for the price point. Guess I need to join the Ford forum now, lol.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Reaction score
I bought the 5.0 v8 with the 10 speed auto, its also a 2wd so the ride is actually better than my 4wd ram was. I opted for 2wd because in the two years I owned the ram I never used the 4wd once, so it wasn't a hard decision. I did get the locking rear differential. Oh and the massaging seats are nice as well. The door panels on the ford are 3x the thickness of the ram. It also doesn't have the ****ty air conditioner the Ram had, lol. But, enough bashing on the Rams, it was a nice truck for the price point. Guess I need to join the Ford forum now, lol.
That’s a great point you made about 4WD, from what I’ve seen 99% Of 4WD buyers are there because of the cool factor more than anything else. I’ve been driving a car for close to 40 years and could count on one hand how many times I needed it. Complete waste of money for most folks.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s a great point you made about 4WD, from what I’ve seen 99% Of 4WD buyers are there because of the cool factor more than anything else. I’ve been driving a car for close to 40 years and could count on one hand how many times I needed it. Complete waste of money for most folks.
I would say I have the 4WD for the cold factor (aka snow storms). Not so much as driving but for parking after the snow storm. The streets are clear but the snow piles last and limit parking options. Driving I've done find with my 1990 Toyota Celica but I could never park where I do the Ram. I can always throw chains on for the snow storm on 2WD but that is a little different after the storm.

tidefan1967

Reaction score
I would say I have the 4WD for the cold factor (aka snow storms). Not so much as driving but for parking after the snow storm. The streets are clear but the snow piles last and limit parking options. Driving I've done find with my 1990 Toyota Celica but I could never park where I do the Ram. I can always throw chains on for the snow storm on 2WD but that is a little different after the storm.
Fortunately for me it only snows down here in SC once every 9 years………

RossoWheelson

Reaction score
Had a nice 200 mile round trip over the Cascades and back yesterday in my Bolt. There was always the range anxiety in the background. Do I kill the climate control for some extra miles? Killed it and then I fogged up in a hail storm. I also drove the car keeping the car at green on the efficiency meter. That results in going 63 to 67 on a 70 mph interstate. Less closer to the pass.

Do truck owners really want to go through this? Really kills getting off the main roads and wandering up and down forest roads looking for the ideal campsite (socially distancing 6 miles).

I did test drive the Ford hybrid (Platinum) before going with the RAM. It was not as comfortable or quiet. I did get the MPGs above 21 but definitely not 24 on the sticker. Consumer Reports was disappointed with the actual mileage of 20 mpg during their testing. It also blew a circuit breaker on me and all the high end bells and whistles were disabled. Dealer said it was a “simple” reset.

Someday their will be a truck with 700 miles battery range. Maybe drop to 400 towing. Then it will be a no brainer getting rid of internal combustion.

tidefan1967

Reaction score
Had a nice 200 mile round trip over the Cascades and back yesterday in my Bolt. There was always the range anxiety in the background. Do I kill the climate control for some extra miles? Killed it and then I fogged up in a hail storm. I also drove the car keeping the car at green on the efficiency meter. That results in going 63 to 67 on a 70 mph interstate. Less closer to the pass.

Do truck owners really want to go through this? Really kills getting off the main roads and wandering up and down forest roads looking for the ideal campsite (socially distancing 6 miles).

I did test drive the Ford hybrid (Platinum) before going with the RAM. It was not as comfortable or quiet. I did get the MPGs above 21 but definitely not 24 on the sticker. Consumer Reports was disappointed with the actual mileage of 20 mpg during their testing. It also blew a circuit breaker on me and all the high end bells and whistles were disabled. Dealer said it was a “simple” reset.

Someday their will be a truck with 700 miles battery range. Maybe drop to 400 towing. Then it will be a no brainer getting rid of internal combustion.
Hopefully hydrogen takes off in the near future and that never happens or at a considerably slower pace.

Users who are viewing this thread