5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning Epic tow test fail

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The sweptlines ran from 61-71. There were different front grill treatments over the years, and the tailgate and rear bed corners changed in 64. Mine is a 1966 D100 with the "Custom" package which added the chrome trim pieces.
As a summer-hire with a major oil company in California in the mid-1980s, I had the pleasure of driving for most of one summer a 1965 D500 Sweptline-style Crew Cab super-long wheelbase flat bed with an A-frame cable winch on it and tool boxes galore on both sides slung below the bed for carrrying tools and pipe fittings. Engine was a 318 V8 2-bbl carb, manual transmission of course (can't recall if it was a 4 or 5 spd tranny), with split rear end. Man, I loved that truck. With that super-long wheelbase and all that weight, it rode like a cloud, even on dirt roads full of potholes. Not a lot of power, because it was so loaded down, and I never did like that damn split rear end, but overall that was one of my favorite vehicles ever...wish I could buy it and restore it now that I have the money. Despite being very heavily loaded and that poor 318 working like mad to haul it around, it was known to be one of the most reliable workhorses at that particular field installation and survived over 20 years carrying oilfield maintenance crews. Damn fine truck, kudos to Dodge.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a summer-hire with a major oil company in California in the mid-1980s, I had the pleasure of driving for most of one summer a 1965 D500 Sweptline-style Crew Cab super-long wheelbase flat bed with an A-frame cable winch on it and tool boxes galore on both sides slung below the bed for carrrying tools and pipe fittings. Engine was a 318 V8 2-bbl carb, manual transmission of course (can't recall if it was a 4 or 5 spd tranny), with split rear end. Man, I loved that truck. With that super-long wheelbase and all that weight, it rode like a cloud, even on dirt roads full of potholes. Not a lot of power, because it was so loaded down, and I never did like that damn split rear end, but overall that was one of my favorite vehicles ever...wish I could buy it and restore it now that I have the money. Despite being very heavily loaded and that poor 318 working like mad to haul it around, it was known to be one of the most reliable workhorses at that particular field installation and survived over 20 years carrying oilfield maintenance crews. Damn fine truck, kudos to Dodge.
Had to be the 4-speed manual with granny low. Same as my truck has.

Quint

Reaction score
If someone bought an electric truck and expected to tow out of town, then they have more money than brains.

Even once/if the majority of vehicles go fully electric, trucks will still likely be hybrid for those long-haul towing situations.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Imagine if only some fuel pumps could fill your vehicle in less than 5 minutes and most took hours!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Imagine if only some fuel pumps could fill your vehicle in less than 5 minutes and most took hours!
I mean with my fuel tank problems sometimes its less then 5 minutes, other times it can take 15 minutes depending on the pump.
Still better then electric though LOL.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Imagine being so ignorant about EVs that you make comments like these. Most superchargers can give you enough charge in 1/2 hour to go 150+ miles. And people using EVs understand the limitations and plan around it. Or drive their ICE vehicle if they still have one, which most do.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Imagine being so ignorant about EVs that you make comments like these. Most superchargers can give you enough charge in 1/2 hour to go 150+ miles. And people using EVs understand the limitations and plan around it. Or drive their ICE vehicle if they still have one, which most do.
We’re talking trucks. Who cares about cars. Show us where you can charge a Ford Lightning sized truck enough in a 1/2 hr to go 150+ miles.

Dewey

Reaction score
Says SUV. How about Ford Lightning or eventually RAM EV sized vehicles. Obviously much higher towing capability will require a whole lot more charging power for a fast charge. I doubt a quick charge can be done with these.

This thread is about an epic towing failure. How will this problem be offset? I’m looking for a legitimate solution. So far I haven’t seen any.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Says SUV. How about Ford Lightning or eventually RAM EV sized vehicles. Obviously much higher towing capability will require a whole lot more charging power for a fast charge. I doubt a quick charge can be done with these.

This thread is about an epic towing failure. How will this problem be offset? I’m looking for a legitimate solution. So far I haven’t seen any.
Try reading it again. Rivian only builds trucks at this point in time

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's not a problem right now. EV trucks are new on the scene, and anyone buying should know limitations. If you want to tow heavy, or long distances, ICE is still your best option.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Oh yeah? Takes one to know one! It's too bad the rest of your reply is just as pointless as your childish insult.

As @Dewey correctly pointed out, we're talking about EV trucks and towing not ALL EVs. I'd be happy to discuss the broader topic on whatever EV loving forum you belong to, but no one wants that nonsense here.

With roughly 100 miles of tow range from full charge for the Lighting, there's NO way to reasonably plan around that kind of limitation. It takes 1.5 hours to fully charge the Lightning at a fast-charger. Even a trip that would normally take 4 hours would be more than double IF there was a fast-charger at every place you needed to stop. Of course their won't, so then it's a level 2 charger and 14 hours of charge time. Unless you have more money than brains, no one is going to own both an EV and ICE truck just to have one for taking trips to avoid stopping every 100 miles to recharge for 1.5 or more likely 14 hours.

Okay, now that I've spelled it all out since apparently not everyone understands what an analogy is... Imagine if only some fuel pumps could fill your vehicle in less than 5 minutes and most took hours!

We’re talking trucks. Who cares about cars. Show us where you can charge a Ford Lightning sized truck enough in a 1/2 hr to go 150+ miles.

That's great and all, but those fast chargers are only accessible for Rivian customers. And were talking about a grand total of 3 charging stations they've actually opened in CA and CO. Not exactly what I'd call a game changer.

Dewey

Reaction score
I doubt anyone is buying an EV truck at this point to use for towing. If they are, then they are just as ignorant about EVs as some of the people posting in this thread.
If companies are going to advertise towing capacities for their EV’s they better be able to back that towing performance up. Otherwise what’s the point of selling an EV truck when you can be much more efficient with an electric car?

Users who are viewing this thread