5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning Epic tow test fail

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of "future Ram EV", did any of you sign up for "Ram Revolution"? I did, based on Ram's characterization that I'd get to provide my personal input.
What a scam - in all these months since I signed up, I've received only ONE crappy survey asking super-basic questions. Not a single question about features I'd like to see or suggestions I have. I answered the survey, but in comments I let Ram have it for the scam that is "Ram Revolution", at least as far as individual Ram customers are concerned.
I'm sure Ram consulted fleet owners, which is all to the good, but their characterization that for individual Ram customers joining "Ram Revolution" would be a chance to provide input, was clearly just a marketing scheme/scam to get email addresses. Very disappointing, it lowers my opinion of Ram.
I signed up for it expecting my email to be sold to third-parties, so I used an account that I don’t care about. I got one survey asking about the REPB (or whatever that acronym is).

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rivian truck pull video going around that claims 75% battery drop for a 300 foot pull. I find that doubtful, but still, this is a problem for working use. I am interested in the performance of the Rivian SUV for standard driving duties, but it's a little big for town driving, and too short of range and long charge times for trips. Oh well, I won't be an early adopter.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EV’s are clearly not the answer. It has nothing to do with less carbon dioxide emissions and is only being pushed so certain politicians get very rich. In the long run, it may actually increase CO2.
I recently read a glowing review of this truck in motor trend. They barely noted that when towing the range was cut in half. They noted that gas truck range is cut in half too. There is a big difference. No way I’m taking my car trailer anywhere if I had to stop for an hour every hour and a half and recharge. Complete stupidity

blue_by_you

Reaction score
I think people are taking EV's and this particular test out of context. EV's are not just some political game, its another energy option in the automotive field and many people could benefit and are interested even if there is no offset of emissions etc. etc. A portion of interested EV shoppers couldn't care less about some hippy idea of saving the planet, they simply want the ability to charge from home without paying at the pump and the obvious performance capability of an EV compared to gas for their particular performance needs.

Regarding the review. Why are we assuming this is a bad/embarrassing result? What makes people think every person who owns a truck uses it for its full utility? and that everyone who tows, is a long haul trucker? There are plenty of truck owners that simply go to and from the store, work, bars. Thats it. There are plenty of truck owners that tow a small camper to the woods/campsite an hour away or to the dock 30 minutes away. this would more than satisfy their needs.

This is just the start of what EV and alternative fuel advancements and technologies can bring. we should be excited, not threatened.

I for one do not care about emmissions, saving the planet blah blah. I will be long dead before actually impacted to a point it matters to me. What I do want is cars and trucks that can be driven every day, launch 0-60 in under 3 seconds and ability to fuel up at home using solar.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think people are taking EV's and this particular test out of context. EV's are not just some political game, its another energy option in the automotive field and many people could benefit and are interested even if there is no offset of emissions etc. etc. A portion of interested EV shoppers couldn't care less about some hippy idea of saving the planet, they simply want the ability to charge from home without paying at the pump and the obvious performance capability of an EV compared to gas for their particular performance needs.

Regarding the review. Why are we assuming this is a bad/embarrassing result? What makes people think every person who owns a truck uses it for its full utility? and that everyone who tows, is a long haul trucker? There are plenty of truck owners that simply go to and from the store, work, bars. Thats it. There are plenty of truck owners that tow a small camper to the woods/campsite an hour away or to the dock 30 minutes away. this would more than satisfy their needs.

This is just the start of what EV and alternative fuel advancements and technologies can bring. we should be excited, not threatened.

I for one do not care about emmissions, saving the planet blah blah. I will be long dead before actually impacted to a point it matters to me. What I do want is cars and trucks that can be driven every day, launch 0-60 in under 3 seconds and ability to fuel up at home using solar.
You bring up a lot of good points honestly, but the issue is that it seems the government wants to regulate and strangle the fossil fuel industry to semi-indirectly force people into EV's that don't want them, and would be in a (potentially much) worse situation transportation-wise as a result.

As a pure alternative? Fantastic, my ideal work commuter is an EV, but then I'd still need a gas-powered truck to do all the things I need to do that a Tesla can't do and it's too much for me right now to afford both, as it is for most people.

Nothing wrong with more choices, but trying to phase out one for the other, especially in such a short time frame like they're trying to do, is where we're gonna run into trouble.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
dont forget this is the government. they have never completed something successfully or on time. Every administation does something, or something else. The oil industry as a whole is not our friend in more ways than 1. Many of them already heavily invest in alternative fuels not because of Govt mandates/restrictions etc. but because its is another means of profit and money savings. I have to say where we are now with EV technological advancements and capabilities, I am looking forward to the next 5-10 years. Gas guzzlers will exist for some time to come, people getting outaged that goverments coming for your gas engines is ridiculous to me. And I own 3 gas guzzlers that combined do not get 50mpg, and I love them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im sure they do. Along with EV buses, tractors, etc. I mean we prob won’t be seeing them transporting cargo across the country for awhile. Not practical

EV trucks are being used or planned for use in fleet operations for short haul/city delivery use where they can rotate vehicles and they typically have the advantage of overnight charging.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
dont care about zero emissions/reduced carbon footprint. I see this as another option!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I drove the Lightning last weekend. It was cool and very fast, but I’m not on board. I’m not paying up to $90k to have a laptop on wheels that is a disposable commodity. In fact, I’m going to start looking for another classic c10 soon to do an ls swap in. Simplicity at it’s best while having some modern features.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I drove the Lightning last weekend. It was cool and very fast, but I’m not on board. I’m not paying up to $90k to have a laptop on wheels that is a disposable commodity. In fact, I’m going to start looking for another classic c10 soon to do an ls swap in. Simplicity at it’s best while having some modern features.
At least keep it Mopar with a Sweptline and a Hemi swap. Don't have a Hemi in mine, just the original Poly 318, but a Hemi swap would be sweet. And you see C10s all over the place.

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_195018390.jpg
    PXL_20220528_195018390.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 32

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At least keep it Mopar with a Sweptline and a Hemi swap. Don't have a Hemi in mine, just the original Poly 318, but a Hemi swap would be sweet. And you see C10s all over the place.
That looks incredible! I’ll keep an eye out for one. I’ve always loved the 67-72 c10 and have owned two in the past, so I’m always partial to them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That looks incredible! I’ll keep an eye out for one. I’ve always loved the 67-72 c10 and have owned two in the past, so I’m always partial to them.
The sweptlines ran from 61-71. There were different front grill treatments over the years, and the tailgate and rear bed corners changed in 64. Mine is a 1966 D100 with the "Custom" package which added the chrome trim pieces.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Logically thinking, I never understood why some of the EV tech today says the batteries recharge only when braking. There will always be some loss, but if you have two drive wheels and two that are just rolling along, why can't the two non-drive wheels be connected to a coil that generates power by just turning? The batteries will be charging slightly less than they discharge, but the mileage should go through the roof.

I believe that this logic is intentionally being overlooked by the Gov't because they want their highway use tax. They always get theirs. GM silenced the pre ignition catalytic converter that atomized the fuel BEFORE it went to the cylinders. Testing proved a 3.5x-4x mileage improvement on older Silverados. They said that the consumer isn't ready to go from 14mpg to 55mpg, so it quietly disappeared.

Last edited:

Quint

Reaction score
I would love a fully electric truck, but will be a late adopter due to my uses. Our cabin is 250 miles away and water access only, so I can't charge when I get there. My truck sits at a public boat launch until I leave. Therefore I need fast charging options on the trip or the ability to tow 500 miles without a charge. When the hybrid trucks are feasible I will probably get one so that I'm electric in the city but burning gas on the long trips.

I'm fully in favor of the electrics. The ranges will increase. The charging capabilities will increase. Towing range will increase too. Many of the big advances are incentivized by our tax dollars. I don't mind that Americans pool their money together to move technological innovation along faster. It's part of what has made us a global leader. I'd rather the US be a leader in emerging technologies than trying to play catchup as oil becomes more scarce and more expensive in this century.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Logically thinking, I never understood why some of the EV tech today says the batteries recharge when braking. There will always be some loss, but if you have two drive wheels and two that are just rolling along, why can't the two non-drive wheels be connected to a coil that generates power by just turning? The batteries will be charging slightly less than they discharge, but the mileage should go through the roof.

I believe that this logic is intentionally being overlooked by the Gov't because they want their highway use tax. They always get theirs. GM silenced the pre ignition catalytic converter that atomized the fuel BEFORE it went to the cylinders. Testing proved a 3.5x-4x mileage improvement on older Silverados. They said that the consumer is ready to go from 14mpg to 55mpg, so it quietly disappeared.
Interesting point. Wouldn't that constant regenerative charging on the two free turning wheels put a drag on them tho?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting point. Wouldn't that constant regenerative charging on the two free turning wheels put a drag on them tho?
Yes. The energy recovered by the generator will always be less than the energy expended to overcome the generator drag. If both the drive motor and the recovery generator were 100% efficient, then it would be a break-even scenario at best.
The only reason to put on regenerative braking is to recover energy that would otherwise have been wasted.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Logically thinking, I never understood why some of the EV tech today says the batteries recharge when braking. There will always be some loss, but if you have two drive wheels and two that are just rolling along, why can't the two non-drive wheels be connected to a coil that generates power by just turning? The batteries will be charging slightly less than they discharge, but the mileage should go through the roof.

I believe that this logic is intentionally being overlooked by the Gov't because they want their highway use tax. They always get theirs. GM silenced the pre ignition catalytic converter that atomized the fuel BEFORE it went to the cylinders. Testing proved a 3.5x-4x mileage improvement on older Silverados. They said that the consumer is ready to go from 14mpg to 55mpg, so it quietly disappeared.
Same reason the electric company doesn't use electric motors to spin generators to create power. It's a net loss. The power used to turn the generator would be more than the generator creates.

Users who are viewing this thread