5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiences with oil changes so far?

RamZone93

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering how your experiences have been with changing oil so far. Are you getting back 7 quarts when you drain your old oil? Do you end up having to put in less than 7 quarts based on your oil dipstick reading? What is your preferred oil type and brand? Are MOPAR filters the best or do you think there are better aftermarket filters?

AndreiV

Reaction score
Dipstick sucks, can never tell exact oil level, not unlike in other cars. I change oil in the slightly inclined driveway with front on ramps. I Add 7 quarts exactly.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Owners manual says 7 quarts, that's what I get out, that's what I put in. I use K&N Gold oil filters, helps they have the hex nut on the end... otherwise it's a P-I-T-A to get the oil filter off a 5.7 Hemi in a 1500. I've always used Royal Purple full synthetic from the first oil change on all my vehicles, never had an issue.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering how your experiences have been with changing oil so far. Are you getting back 7 quarts when you drain your old oil? Do you end up having to put in less than 7 quarts based on your oil dipstick reading? What is your preferred oil type and brand? Are MOPAR filters the best or do you think there are better aftermarket filters?
7 qts results in a slight overfill for me.

RamZone93

Reaction score
7 qts results in a slight overfill for me.
Seems like mine is too according to the dipstick, even if I let it drain for 10-15 minutes and put exactly 7 quarts in. As somebody said before, the dipstick in this engine sucks. Do you drive with the overfill or do you drain a little bit out from the bottom and recheck the stick?

Owners manual says 7 quarts, that's what I get out, that's what I put in. I use K&N Gold oil filters, helps they have the hex nut on the end... otherwise it's a P-I-T-A to get the oil filter off a 5.7 Hemi in a 1500. I've always used Royal Purple full synthetic from the first oil change on all my vehicles, never had an issue.
Yeah, the location of the filter on the 5.7 is terrible. Getting the factory filter off was terrible, but if you only hand tighten it and lube the gasket, it's a lot easier to get off the next time with just your hand and you don't have to try and fit a wrench in at that awkward angle. You'd think they could put it in the engine bay like they do with the 3.6 for ease of maintenance. Do you find that your dipstick reading reflects the 7 quarts you put in, or does it read as if it's overfilled?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you drive with the overfill or do you drain a little bit out from the bottom and recheck the stick?
I drained some back out, but it’s still just a bit high. I’ll put 6.5 qts in on my next one, drive it a bit, and then top off.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does show a slight overfill... I wouldn't worry about it... I trust the manual more than the dipstick.

NV2019

Reaction score
Agree with VaderRebel in reading the owner's manual, but no excuse for FCA to botch the bayonet gauge (dipstick), mine reads high after at least an hour drain. Never been a Penzoil guy, but the new natrual gas cracked platium 5W-20 is great stuff, also plugged in the owner's manual (FCA is now golfing with Penzoil) for this truck's Hemi anyway. You will never go wrong with Royal P either, I think the Penz Platium costs all most as much as Royal P, or at least the same as any of the group III or IV oils available. Also agree that anything that makes getting the filter out easier is great in my thoughts, but the OEM MOPAR filter is just fine.

RamZone93

Reaction score
Agree with VaderRebel in reading the owner's manual, but no excuse for FCA to botch the bayonet gauge (dipstick), mine reads high after at least an hour drain. Never been a Penzoil guy, but the new natrual gas cracked platium 5W-20 is great stuff, also plugged in the owner's manual (FCA is now golfing with Penzoil) for this truck's Hemi anyway. You will never go wrong with Royal P either, I think the Penz Platium costs all most as much as Royal P, or at least the same as any of the group III or IV oils available. Also agree that anything that makes getting the filter out easier is great in my thoughts, but the OEM MOPAR filter is just fine.
Well, technically the owner's manual just says that the fluid recommended fluid level is 7 quarts, it doesn't say to put in 7 quarts for every oil change. I just find it hard to believe that there is that so much oil left in the engine after draining it out completely that the dipstick indicates being overfilled after putting 7 quarts in.

I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I have to say the ultra platinum is a fine oil! Pennzoil says it's better for performance than the regular platinum, as well. My concern is that I like to use an American oil in my vehicle, which is why I've always preferred Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 is not certified for Chrysler's MS-6395 specification. Pennzoil is owned by a European company.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Two oil changes at the dealership, both spot on the full mark. I don't know their procedures. I do know following the manual's guidelines with my BMW motorcycle results in an overfill. Also my father-in-laws Honda Fit was also over filled after an oil change.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last dealer change was listed as 6 qts. Dont know if they just guess or randomly bill. The oil change specials are usually for 5 quarts so they add $2.50 for the extra quart. Since its fron a bulk drum, whose to know how much they really put back in?

RamZone93

Reaction score
Last dealer change was listed as 6 qts. Dont know if they just guess or randomly bill. The oil change specials are usually for 5 quarts so they add $2.50 for the extra quart. Since its fron a bulk drum, whose to know how much they really put back in?
Yeah, that's why I prefer to do my own. Every time I go to the dealership, something ends up getting messed up.

Ch28

Reaction score
Have gotten about 6.5 back everytime. I put a little less than the full 7 just to avoid overfill

kblast523

Reaction score
I've done one change, dealer did one at 3200, I did one at 5k and now dealer doing another at 8k. MoPar filter that came on the truck had a defective anti drain-back valve and caused 'dry cold start at least half dozen times. Dealer claimed it was 'normal'. I disagree. My first change used Wix filter, the 'dry cold start' phenomena stopped. I am using last of my Valvoline SynPower left over from supply I had for a Ford. I will be switching to Kendall GT-1 in three changes. I always put all seven in, guessing I got 6.95 or there abouts back. I was surprised when Texas DCJR DOCUMENTED my complaint and backed it up with 'advise customer it's normal'. I guess when the HEMI eats it's camshaft, that will be 'normal' also.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I use mobil one fully synth extended, and pit in 6.75 then top off in a few week after checking, I also have an oil catch can, and empty that out also.. so in a round about way, 7 in, 7 out

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 0-20W and think it is one of the best to use for the Hemi design. Had 5 oil changes so far and #6 is coming up in a week or two. Use the Gallon Zip lock bag over the filter and I go with the full 7 quarts. I use K&N Gold filters just to make sure the filter removal is not a PITA.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the 0W because it provides for better viscocity at lower temperatures as well as during engine warm up. This also increases the fuel economy due to less friction with it flowing easier when cold (and less friction is less engine wear). I have also seen that this allows the ECO (MDS) to kick in when colder and more often. The other benefit is reduced emmisions for the first 3-5 minutes after cold startup.

Users who are viewing this thread