5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiences with oil changes so far?

kdavighi

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering how your experiences have been with changing oil so far. Are you getting back 7 quarts when you drain your old oil? Do you end up having to put in less than 7 quarts based on your oil dipstick reading? What is your preferred oil type and brand? Are MOPAR filters the best or do you think there are better aftermarket filters?

Just did my first oil change and I used a Fram Tough Guard filter. However, had I known how difficult it was going to be to remove the oil filter, I would have bought the filters with the hex nut. Cant get a oil filter wrench in there to loosen it.

Last edited:

Scjon03

Reaction score
I changed my oil at 2.8k and used Rotella Oil. I put exactly 7q's in it and have no issues. The oil filter was a PIA but wasn't that bad. just a mess to clean up since the bag over the oil filter didn't work as planned.

bravo1

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change at 2985 miles and 10 months.I devised a tray to slide back under the oil pan as it acts as a ramp worked perfect no oil over the stab bar at all.Right into the oil bucket.I decide due to a discount at Advance Auto from my reward points to use Penzoil Syn 5-20 weight.Mopar oil filter with no noise after multiple starts not both cold as well as warm...As far as the oil filter goes I took a long drill bit around 8 inches 3/36 inch and just drilled a hole just to the side of the check valve and it drain right into the large plastic bag with just a little mess.Far better than the mess I saw on YouTube,kinda of a shame Ram powertrain design did this.7 quarts right to the top of the full line. Pre-filled the oil filter since on the side of the oil filter states you need to.But not to the top since you will spill more oil over the frame, front axle.Also I cut in half a quart oil container and it fits perfectly inside the oil fill inlet.Makes holding that 5 quart container real easy since it pours rather quickly.So here is the picture of the ramp for the oil drain. IMG_2860.jpg

Last edited:

bravo1

Reaction score
That dimension for the tray is 17" inch long by 4 3/8 wide by 1 inch deep.It slides back between the stab bar back against the oil pan.While it pours down into the bucket it is really easy to fill a oil sample as well.Also I just drop the oil drain plug into the tray and it just moved right down to the bucket and I used a magnet to pull it out.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why are you not using the recommended 5W20? Curious.....
Just an FYI from Penzoil for the 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi (0W20 is included in recommendations as per below)

Sent this email to Penzoil just now, so awaiting response:
When I use the Penzoil web site it lists synthetic oils for the 2019 Ram 1500, 5.7L, V-8 Hemi. The FCA requirement for this motor is "FCA Material Standard MS-6395" as per the owner's manual, which your conventional motor oil lists as meeting. I was wondering why this is not included in your list of recommended oils.

Unfortunately I did not ask why they include 0W20 in their recommendation.

Anyone with any in sight on Penzoil oil recommendations?

Jako

Reaction score
More oil related threads from the forum.

raven_DT

Reaction score
yep, a complete mess 3 times into it. Typically refilling to about 6.5 to 7qts. Using penzoil platinum 0w-20 with orange fram oil filters... 5k OCI so far

cheyfinn

Reaction score
AMSOIL 5-20 WIX filter I have used AMSOIL for 35+ yr's with no problems

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
yep, a complete mess 3 times into it. Typically refilling to about 6.5 to 7qts. Using penzoil platinum 0w-20 with orange fram oil filters... 5k OCI so far
I’m just a lazy old sheet who takes advantage of the 4 for $70 FCA specials... but I admire those of you thin enough and wanting to change your own...

dreinert

Reaction score
I use the Fumoto drain valve and a 1/2” diameter PVC that fits over the drain valve and right into the drain pan, it’s completely mess free.

For the oil filter, I use gallon zip lock bag over the filter to help with oil spillage, it helps but there’s still oil that leaks down.

I fill with 7qts; 5qts of Penzoil Ultra Platinum and 2 qts of Redline for the moly along with a Royal Purple oil filter.

Typically send oil in for analysis to Blackstone, no issues other than that copper has been high. Some have speculated that its possibly from the oil cooler.

D5FF8FC5-C15A-4C57-900B-C6FB8E7F07A6.jpeg

Dynamite

Reaction score
Im currently using 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with Mopar filter. I used this oil on my past 2014 1500 Hemi without issues and i think its a great oil also recommeded by FCA.

I always drain it and put 7 qts back in.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Why, oh, why does the flippin' engine assembly line not follow the instructions right there on the filter??? No....they put on with no oil on the gasket and torque it to 65 ft-lbs! I destroyed my first one on a new 5.7 Hemi getting it off. They all do it......Cummins is the same way. The first time I changed the filter on an '04 Cummins, it took a cup wrench with a two-foot cheater bar. And it squeaked loudly for an entire turn before it finally broke loose. WHY DO THEY DO THAT??

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/