5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
we always have to consider that exhaust sound and "drone" is super subjective. we're not going to be 100% certain talking to each other online without hearing things in person unfortunately. I myself love a loud exhaust, and it doesn't bother me, but im sure a lot of people would be typing in all caps asking for help on the forum with how to tame it down if this is what their's sounded like lol

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree sound is subjective, you can hear a certain exhaust note (sound) and have your personal opinion about it, but drone is not subjective. It is felt, not heard. Felt in the deep recess of the ear canal and will drive you insane. Drone is actually the Devil. ;)

Moparluver

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't asking about drone. Just what setup to achieve sound level right between stock, and muffler delete.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Oh dang don’t let my old boss hear you say that, he doesn’t like competition. :)

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't asking about drone. Just what setup to achieve sound level right between stock, and muffler delete.
I absolutely love my Borla 40353 PRO-XS and stock resonators still attached, I cannot say it's what you are asking for, but for me, it is just about perfect.

Last edited:

STR

Reaction score
I have the Borla S-type. It’s closer to a muffler delete than the OEM muffler, but the Borla Touring might be what you’re seeking. No drone, sounds like a V8, and the 5” tips look great!

Moparluver

Reaction score
not interested in spending more than a couple hundred.. it'd have to be just a simple muffler cut-in.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s just tough cause there’s a lot of ways to achieve this, I personally don’t like how the rear resonators sound with any exhaust, even with the weep holes plugged. So I’d want to plan on removing those, and if you’re looking for something not too loud, I’d do a magnaflow/B2 fabrications version of the magnaflow bolt on. Maybe do that first tho and see if you don’t mind how it sounds with the rear resonators, then go from there. Plug them if you don’t like the exhaust leak sound. Honesty you can always sell whatever you buy on here to someone else pretty easily and just put that money towards a different set up if you don’t like it. I’ve done it :LOL:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s just tough cause there’s a lot of ways to achieve this, I personally don’t like how the rear resonators sound with any exhaust, even with the weep holes plugged. So I’d want to plan on removing those, and if you’re looking for something not too loud, I’d do a magnaflow/B2 fabrications version of the magnaflow bolt on. Maybe do that first tho and see if you don’t mind how it sounds with the rear resonators, then go from there. Plug them if you don’t like the exhaust leak sound. Honesty you can always sell whatever you buy on here to someone else pretty easily and just put that money towards a different set up if you don’t like it. I’ve done it :LOL:

That’s good advice, and pretty much exactly how I went about it, including plugging the weep holes. I’m pretty happy with the end result, and the quality on the B2 stuff is awesome.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you’re enjoying it, I’ve really enjoyed the sound and quality of mine as well. I’d love it if he made a catback for our trucks.

STR

Reaction score
not interested in spending more than a couple hundred.. it'd have to be just a simple muffler cut-in.

... then B2 fabrications/MagnaFlow might be something that you’d like.

Moparluver

Reaction score
... then B2 fabrications/MagnaFlow might be something that you’d like.
That sounds like a pretty good idea. My only fear is that it's going to be a little quieter than I desire, but at the end of the day that's better than too loud.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

SandDiesel

Reaction score
So just got home from the muffler shop freshly straight piped. I asked for their recommendation and they just did this 3 days ago to the same truck. Didn't upsell me on a muffler. With the 3 resonators many people were hoping for more sound. I can say I was very surprised it is so mellow at idle but it picks up under load/acceleration. Very deep throaty sound. Similar to my old single exhaust and Magnaflow but definitely more volume with the hemi. Just $100, S bend pipe, with a hanger welded back on so no rattle. Can't go wrong at that price. Once I have a couple long drives I'll update about drone or not. You can't by a bolt on anything for a $100. Also the videos online don't do much justice to any system. Just go do it at a price you can afford.
So I finally got out on the freeway for a drive and it's very quiet at 75mph. Not a bit noticeable. It is very noticeable tho on surface streets and start up. When it's under load, accelerating, or chopping the throttle. But definitely no road trip drone. We'll see when we get our new trailer and it's under more load on the freeway.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any reason in particular you guys prefer to go with the direct fit mufflers vs just buying a muffler and getting it welded in? Saving $100+ and not having to do the work myself was more than worth it to me.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any reason in particular you guys prefer to go with the direct fit mufflers vs just buying a muffler and getting it welded in? Saving $100+ and not having to do the work myself was more than worth it to me.
Depends on what you want. I personally like the idea of not having a shop touch my truck, so the direct fit system was appealing to me. If you have a place you trust, you’re right that you can save a lot of money, and welding won’t have any exhaust leaks. Direct fit is good if you want to swap it out for a different one down the road

STR

Reaction score
It’s an easy bolt-on mod, and some people like to wrench on there truck. Plus, it’s easily reversible if you want to change or revert back to factory. If the latter, then there is a market for used exhausts on here, Craigslist, etc., to recoup some of the money, especially if it’s a higher quality stainless steel set-up.

STR

Reaction score
Can do all the above with a weld in muffler as well.

I think the gist of the question was paying someone else to weld it vs. bolting it on yourself, which is very different. I see a lot more bolt-on exhausts for sale then I do cut-off welded mufflers :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid under 100 for my muffler and 100 for install. If I want to go back to stock (kept stock muffler) it will cost me another 100 to do so, and If I want to change it out to something else I can Sawzall it out and bolt in a replacement same as you. And I am willing to bet if I were cut out and list my used Borla 40353 for sale for $50.00 it would sell... there isn't a right or wrong way to go about this, we all made decisions we thought was best for ourselves. I'm happy with mine, you are happy with yours, c'est la vie

Users who are viewing this thread