5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifold recall

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
Son-in-Law just got his repaired truck yesterday. Six week wait on parts. 2020 Laramie E-torque 5.7L. Was my truck. He had 48000 miles left side manifold repaired. He was told with the new bolts this problem is solved. I hope my 2023 has some improved manifold bolts so this problem doesn't happen down the road.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the warrenty on the manifolds? I'm at 63K on my 2019 and I have not noticed any exhuast noise yet but I'm sure it is a matter of time. I know on my Titan the manifolds where attached to the catalytic converter and therefore fell under the emmissions warrenty which was like 80K miles I believe. I know that is not the case on the ram.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What is the warrenty on the manifolds? I'm at 63K on my 2019 and I have not noticed any exhuast noise yet but I'm sure it is a matter of time. I know on my Titan the manifolds were attached to the catalytic converter and therefore fell under the emmissions warrenty which was like 80K miles I believe. I know that is not the case on the ram.
It’s covered under powertrain warranty, unless you have extended warranty. I don’t think emissions will cover it

andrewmilich1

Reaction score
2019 Ram 85000 miles just spent 8 hours and replaced both of my manifolds. Crack in the same spot on both. I wonder if they will ever address this. Glad to do the work myself but crappy design for sure. thoughts about a recall. Or at least they should pay for my parts.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
2019 Ram 85000 miles just spent 8 hours and replaced both of my manifolds. Crack in the same spot on both. I wonder if they will ever address this. Glad to do the work myself but crappy design for sure. thoughts about a recall. Or at least they should pay for my parts.
85k miles on your truck and you think Ram owes you money for parts? How long do you think a truck should be warrantied for from the factory? 200k miles 20 years?

72soft-top

Reaction score
Did you install the factory manifolds or aftermarket?

I have a leak in my 2020 BTS with 38k miles. It’s covered under Powertrain warranty for 5yrs/60k miles

Bob.

Reaction score
85k miles on your truck and you think Ram owes you money for parts? How long do you think a truck should be warrantied for from the factory? 200k miles 20 years?
Well I never heard of this problem outside of Ram trucks, so having manifold problems is BS. I've owned new cars and trucks since 1982. So I'm not wet behind the ears. I look forward to mine snapping off in the near future. Lol

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I never heard of this problem outside of Ram trucks, so having manifold problems is BS. I've owned new cars and trucks since 1982. So I'm not wet behind the ears. I look forward to mine snapping off in the near future. Lol
The domestic trucks have had manifold issues for years. This isn't new to them at all.
I was just told today that there has been no recall issued for the 2020 RAM 5.7 Hemi. Both sides of mine is leaking. Ram needs to step up and fix this!
How many miles on your truck?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Then you haven't paid attention to it, cast iron manifolds have been cracking then leaked (ticking) when cold from the very 1st one

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nissan had a big issue with cracked manifolds on the Titan. I had to have mine replaced at like 30,000 miles, under warranty of coarse.

Bob.

Reaction score
I never had experienced them break or manifolds crack since my oldest truck a 52 chev, which I fixed up. Sure I changed them out to hot rod them, but I never experienced manifold malfunctions in any vehicle I owned or drove.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Many peeps with a 454 or 460, maybe even the Dodge 440’s would beg to differ. The big blocks commonly had manifold or bolt issues. Its the bane of rvers I know, had a chevy class C that needed a set. What wasn’t cracked was rusted out or through.

From plowsite.com:
“I changed the plugs today on my 98 K3500 with the 454. I noticed that the passenger side exhaust manifold is cracked in three places on the flange between cylinders 2 & 4, 4 & 6, and 6 & 8. The driver's side manifold does not have these cracks.

I've heard that 454's have problems with cracking exhaust manifolds so I'm guessing these cracks are not normal. It doesn't sound like I have any exhaust leaks. Is this the area that these things are prone to crack at? Anyone know a good source for used exhaust manifolds for these engines? Thanks.”

From IRV2 forum: “My 1999 gas Trek had both exhaust manifolds crack. The choice was to replace with new cast manifolds or headers. I researched Banks and was told they only had materials for 4 more 454 header sets then the product would be discontinued. Jegs & Summit still had Banks headers in their inventory, so I bought a set of the "Long Tube" headers. Cost was $1400 and installation was $1600. This included drilling out 4 broken studs, cutting & tapping the length on some remaining studs that wouldn't come out so they fit the header flange, 2 new Oxygen sensors, and cutting off a large unused frame bracket…”

From the 460 forum:
“My left side exhaust manifold (stock cast iron) got a crack down the center of it this morning.

So I guess I'll be buying those fordpowertrain.com headers a little sooner than I had planned.”

Old threads but hey, it happened all the time. A lot of owners went back with long tube headers. If you buy a gas rv, even the V10’s will crack. The Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum has several threads on it.

And here I thought the “hemi tick” was my main concern…

Last edited:

Lumel187

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L E-torque. Has 76k miles and I'm pretty sure my manifold is either cracked or leaking or whatever because I have to now drive most of the time with my windows cracked or down depending on how cold it is to not be engulfed by the smell of the exhaust fumes in cabin. I didn't know what it could be, this is my first pickup truck let alone ram. I'm out of warranty and the cost to repair an issue that is pretty much common with every ram is a lot for me atleast since I became a full time student and only make enough to basically pay the bills and handle minimal stuff like oil changes, tune ups etc. Left field stuff like this and axles issue I've come to discover has me pulling my hair, because it is not a cheap fix and let alone a permanent one. Yes I know this truck has become unaffordable for me. But getting rid of it and getting a new vehicle today is somehow more expensive or makes no sense. I don't understand how this manifold or the Axle issue isn't a recall on this truck. Like is there any aftermarket options that would surely fix the issue? I really love this truck but man this absurd, I've had rear diff explode on the highway at less than 20k miles. Rear suspension (not air ride) gone prematurely at less than 30k miles, heaviest thing I've put on my bed is a 400 pound sport bike. Front axles gone before 50k miles, caused ridiculous shaking anything above 67mph. Replaced with aftermarket ones and apparently the issue seems to be the design and the PS axle shaft is the issue, that part is very expensive OEM let alone labor. Like it's just never ending.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 2020 ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L E-torque. Has 76k miles and I'm pretty sure my manifold is either cracked or leaking or whatever because I have to now drive most of the time with my windows cracked or down depending on how cold it is to not be engulfed by the smell of the exhaust fumes in cabin. I didn't know what it could be, this is my first pickup truck let alone ram. I'm out of warranty and the cost to repair an issue that is pretty much common with every ram is a lot for me atleast since I became a full time student and only make enough to basically pay the bills and handle minimal stuff like oil changes, tune ups etc. Left field stuff like this and axles issue I've come to discover has me pulling my hair, because it is not a cheap fix and let alone a permanent one. Yes I know this truck has become unaffordable for me. But getting rid of it and getting a new vehicle today is somehow more expensive or makes no sense. I don't understand how this manifold or the Axle issue isn't a recall on this truck. Like is there any aftermarket options that would surely fix the issue? I really love this truck but man this absurd, I've had rear diff explode on the highway at less than 20k miles. Rear suspension (not air ride) gone prematurely at less than 30k miles, heaviest thing I've put on my bed is a 400 pound sport bike. Front axles gone before 50k miles, caused ridiculous shaking anything above 67mph. Replaced with aftermarket ones and apparently the issue seems to be the design and the PS axle shaft is the issue, that part is very expensive OEM let alone labor. Like it's just never ending.
Must be a bad leak. Mine is leaking on passenger side but I don't smell anything in the cabin.

It's a fairly easy DIY if you have the means. I bought the whole passenger side kit for $65 plus shipping.

Attachments

• 20240111_233008.png
    20240111_233008.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hard facts Inc.
You have a very expensive pickup truck. When I was in school I drove a $600 oldsmobile that was 20 years old. I then moved up to a Sebring which was worth under $3000.
You should sell your truck and get a 10-15 year old car until you finish school and get a good job. You can't afford a new vehicle and you shouldn't of gotten one before. If it's more expensive to sell and replace it then that means you own less of your truck then what your loan is, which is also a bad move putting yourself in debt.
Any car/truck is going to cost money to fix and maintain. Getting the exhaust manifold fixed/replaced is not expensive compared to typical repairs for these trucks.
You likely will need pads/rotors very soon, and your 100k miles services changing fluids that will cost you several hundred dollars not counting labor.

The truck has almost 80k miles on it, can't expect Ram to warranty a truck forever, they would never make money.

danda1996

Reaction score
Hard facts Inc.
You have a very expensive pickup truck. When I was in school I drove a $600 oldsmobile that was 20 years old. I then moved up to a Sebring which was worth under $3000.
You should sell your truck and get a 10-15 year old car until you finish school and get a good job. You can't afford a new vehicle and you shouldn't of gotten one before. If it's more expensive to sell and replace it then that means you own less of your truck then what your loan is, which is also a bad move putting yourself in debt.
Any car/truck is going to cost money to fix and maintain. Getting the exhaust manifold fixed/replaced is not expensive compared to typical repairs for these trucks.
You likely will need pads/rotors very soon, and your 100k miles services changing fluids that will cost you several hundred dollars not counting labor.

The truck has almost 80k miles on it, can't expect Ram to warranty a truck forever, they would never make money.
Well. In my case, the "3" year old Limited SHOULDN'T suffer a crack in the exhaust manifold, but it has, and after 7 months, STILL waiting for the replacement part to come in!!??! Like the truck, but not happy with DODGE!?!

Users who are viewing this thread