5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow...Dealer actually updated me today...no surprise, it was a cracked passenger side manifold. I did ask them to check both sides. Service advisor confirmed only passenger side is cracked.
What surprised me was that they have the manifold coming in tomorrow from the local warehouse. At the latest, Monday they'll have truck done. Looks like either there's a bunch of manifolds on island, or I just lucked out.
This was a classic "expect the worst hope for the best" moment. Was looking at weeks to get this completed, am only out a truck for a weekend at most. Nice.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What surprised me was that they have the manifold coming in tomorrow from the local warehouse. At the latest, Monday they'll have truck done. Looks like either there's a bunch of manifolds on island, or I just lucked out.
This was a classic "expect the worst hope for the best" moment.
I would still expect the worst. All orders for 68591572AB are pended until October 1st.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they know it's coming from a local warehouse I'd imagine there's not much question there. Plus I believe when he references the island he lives in Hawaii. So not like it makes logistical sense for them to ship those parts back and forth.

Jack.

Reaction score
I also had mine ceramic coated(twice because of a fail on the first batch). The shop I had them done at said their flat black was the highest temp, but it still seems to be burning off the pipes but not the flanges.

I think these trucks must run really hot to meet emissions. When I removed the headers(twice now) I saw that the valves were clean and gray and not black.

My rig also ticks for the first 15 seconds but when she's warm it's quiet. I had a weld fail that AFE warrantied, but most of my leaks are actually at the collector. I found that making sure those flanges on the downpipe need to be torqued evenly and spaced evenly. I tried using the highest temp permatext header RTV sealant as well, but that stuff turned to dust.

Nothing like chasing exhaust leaks and torqueing on nuts that are hot as hades.
Hey out of curiosity, yours still tick on cold start right via the afe headers? Just trying to reassure myself ☠️

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would still expect the worst. All orders for 68591572AB are pended until October 1st.
Well, it seems Monday isn’t Oct. 1st.
Trying to stay positive, and all you do is bring the rain, geez…
If they know it's coming from a local warehouse I'd imagine there's not much question there. Plus I believe when he references the island he lives in Hawaii. So not like it makes logistical sense for them to ship those parts back and forth.
Exactly. If service says they have it, they have it. If it’s not on island, they most definitely wouldn’t say “we have it in stock”.
Sending it back to the contingent 48 makes absolutely no sense. That dealer would end up paying an arm and a leg to get it shipped from here, for a job covered under warranty.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it seems Monday isn’t Oct. 1st.
Trying to stay positive, and all you do is bring the rain, geez…
When I run the part number in Stellantis parts ordering system it clearly states "orders pended until October 1st". There are PDCs that show inventory but the order can't be submitted for that part. Unless things are different on the islands than the rest of the USA, I would expect a delay.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not quite as lucky as Mikey lol. I don't get the pleasure of residing in paradise and quick turn around on the manifold.

Dealer ordered right passenger side manifold kit for me yesterday. Mid Oct is when they're anticipating receiving them which was expected from prior discussions here. Thinking I may just go aftermarket next time this happens but if it happens as fast as it did the first time I'll still have warranty left.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not quite as lucky as Mikey lol. I don't get the pleasure of residing in paradise and quick turn around on the manifold.

Dealer ordered right passenger side manifold kit for me yesterday. Mid Oct is when they're anticipating receiving them which was expected from prior discussions here. Thinking I may just go aftermarket next time this happens but if it happens as fast as it did the first time I'll still have warranty left.
Hopefully Mikey is lucky.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow...Dealer actually updated me today...no surprise, it was a cracked passenger side manifold. I did ask them to check both sides. Service advisor confirmed only passenger side is cracked.
This was a classic "expect the worst hope for the best" moment. Was looking at weeks to get this completed, am only out a truck for a weekend at most. Nice.
you are probably dealing with a parts guy that says "part coming in tomorrow" to every order. I worked with a guy like that. Would never look to see where the part was coming from or who had it in stock. Always said "it will be here tomorrow" to everything, even if the part was on backorder.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you are probably dealing with a parts guy that says "part coming in tomorrow" to every order. I worked with a guy like that. Would never look to see where the part was coming from or who had it in stock. Always said "it will be here tomorrow" to everything, even if the part was on backorder.

My service advisor has updated me twice since dropping off the truck, first confirming that the part was in stock, and then confirming that they had the manifold delivered, and both times confirming it will be done by Monday.

Again, we will all see on Monday when I share the news of a fixed (or not) truck.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should I go ahead with the repair, I guess they are using old stock? Or should I reschedule when I think they'll have new stock available?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should I go ahead with the repair, I guess they are using old stock? Or should I reschedule when I think they'll have new stock available?
It's the same part# that has been in use for awhile now. I assume they have the manifold kit.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, as it sits, it is Tuesday, and no truck. Had a long Monday work day, and spent a good portion of the day playing phone tag with my service advisor.
However, at around 930am today, she has once again reassured me it will be done, but now some time tomorrow. Delay in work due to work in queue ahead of me, sick calls, blah, blah, blah. I’m good, and do appreciate the updates. That place is slammed, and I was in a week earlier than my scheduled appointment due to a cancellation…I’m good.
Am looking at tomorrow, but probably pickup Thursday, so a week from drop off to pick up.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I run the part number in Stellantis parts ordering system it clearly states "orders pended until October 1st". There are PDCs that show inventory but the order can't be submitted for that part. Unless things are different on the islands than the rest of the USA, I would expect a delay.
Looks like I shredded it all, manifold and bolts.
Appreciate the details...a much better service experience than my dealer for my City. 5 stars, baby...All done.

Elvis has left the building...! 🤫

Attachments

• 20220914_193622.jpg
    20220914_193622.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220914_193650.jpg
    20220914_193650.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220914_190023.jpg
    20220914_190023.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I shredded it all, manifold and bolts.
Appreciate the details...a much better service experience than my dealer for my City. 5 stars, baby...All done.

Elvis has left the building...! 🤫
Looks like they used part # 'AA, is that the oldest, original (cracking) manifold?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations they fixed it. With the old part #, nothing wrong with that. I can't believe it had 2 broken bolts also.....🙀

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
They sadly will do all the old stock of a part number first as a rule... Unless there is a bulletin or TSB etc that the dealer actually follows for the "new" part number in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread