5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is good news.
Let's hope someone from my home dealership actually picks up the phone or calls me back so I can get the process started.

Why do dealerships have to suck so bad? I don't understand why they call it a "service department" when that is the one thing you seem to never receive.

Welcome to the world of last place rated Stellantis dealership service. Their whole portfolio of dealerships are rated last in dealership service these last few years for good reason. That is why I do my own oil changes, I don't trust them to do it. This is the only new vehicle I've owned where I was too afraid to let the dealership do it. Luckily it's been rock solid these last 3 years.

Just trying to get my recall floormats done has been a hair pulling exercise in futility. Whereas I take our new Toyota to the dealership and it's freaking like night and day. The most basics of customer service like calling back on time and taking my concerns seriously is something RAM dealerships should try to follow.

Bob.

Reaction score
I wonder if he will change his tune if I come in for an exhaust manifold bolt(s). "Oh, we determined this well-known issue with these trucks was instead your fault for changing the muffler and causing the exhaust to vibrate differently, yada yada yada".
I think my play will be, when mine cracks, will be OK fine I will pay for the repair. $2500, no problem. Once the repair is completed I will seek a lawyer and seek damages in court. If you are found to be in the wrong for charging me for a warranted claim, you will also have to pay my legal fees. If a lawyer takes my case, it's fairly likely I will win in small claims court. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Switch22

Reaction score
Sounds like you read too many forums tbh. Spend any time on any vehicle forum and you'll find it littered with people with issues. Enthusiasts are the only ones who post good things about their vehicles. Joe down the road doesn't care to talk about his vehicle until he has issues with it.

This is a pretty well known issue with the hemi. They upgraded the bolts because that was the old issue but now the bolts are too strong so the manifold is more prone to cracking.

I still haven't taken mine in for my issue. I'm on vacation next week so I'll probably get around to it.
I understand, about reading too much on the forums. Lots of folks reach out here looking for help and answers, and sometimes just to vent. I get that. My concern rests more with known issues that have been on-going for years, which Ram seems to have no interest in resolving... lifter failures, water leaks, manifolds/bolts. I get it, no truck is always perfect, but 3,4,5,6 years or more with the same issue(s) and no resolution? I don't see how that aligns with the notion of being quality conscious.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand, about reading too much on the forums. Lots of folks reach out here looking for help and answers, and sometimes just to vent. I get that. My concern rests more with known issues that have been on-going for years, which Ram seems to have no interest in resolving... lifter failures, water leaks, manifolds/bolts. I get it, no truck is always perfect, but 3,4,5,6 years or more with the same issue(s) and no resolution? I don't see how that aligns with the notion of being quality conscious.

I do understand that. From my understanding the Ford/Chevy developed 10 speed is giving them fits. The Chevy has issues with water leaks as well. I believe Chevy had a more pronounced issue with their lifter failure but have corrected that. I want to say there were some issues with the ecoboost. I can't remember but when I was looking at used trucks it seemed liked every single one had been in the shop for an engine component. Ford just changed the 5.0 to drop cylinders like the GM and Ram does with this newest gen. So who knows what issues that may potentially cause down the line.The Toyota is brand new and while I'm sure it will be overall reliable I think it's having some growing pains as well.

With the Hemi - You're just gonna have to deal with the manifold. Knock on wood and my 2020 still doesn't have any water leaks or issues besides the manifold. From my understanding the lifter issue is way less common than it is made out to be online. The fact of the matter is that the hemi is literally on its last leg. They're not gonna drop much more money trying to rectify an issue that affects a small percentage of their overall customer base. Especially since we know that it's being replaced by the new i6 turbo engines and an EV.

I just think you have paralysis by analysis. I say that from a place of being very similar. So I honestly do understand lol. I'm in the market for a new commuter next yr and really like what kia and Hyundai are doing .However, similar to you I get kinda spooked by the old history and some smaller current goofs they've had.

Bob.

Reaction score
Armed with information is a good thing.

FAQ​

Will I void my warranty if I install your muffler?

Copy and paste from the MagnaFlow website:

What to do if denied a warranty?
You MUST get the denial in writing and demand that they are very specific in why they’re denying the claim and in providing solid evidentiary proof in how the part you installed/had installed caused the failure for which they’re denying the warranty.

Next, contact the Regional Service Manager and of course, the manufacturer of your vehicle, mention the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and document every word they say and retain copies of all paperwork. The problem is usually corrected here, as manufacturers know the law, dealers are just being cautions. Of course, some dealers are better than others and we’ve all had bad experiences. Use the internet chat rooms to seek out owners of similar vehicles to share their dealer experiences…its’ a powerful tool.

In most cases, when they realize that you’ve done you’re homework, the dealer and manufacturer will realize that they’re obligated to comply with the law.

Switch22

Reaction score
I do understand that. From my understanding the Ford/Chevy developed 10 speed is giving them fits. The Chevy has issues with water leaks as well. I believe Chevy had a more pronounced issue with their lifter failure but have corrected that. I want to say there were some issues with the ecoboost. I can't remember but when I was looking at used trucks it seemed liked every single one had been in the shop for an engine component. Ford just changed the 5.0 to drop cylinders like the GM and Ram does with this newest gen. So who knows what issues that may potentially cause down the line.The Toyota is brand new and while I'm sure it will be overall reliable I think it's having some growing pains as well.

With the Hemi - You're just gonna have to deal with the manifold. Knock on wood and my 2020 still doesn't have any water leaks or issues besides the manifold. From my understanding the lifter issue is way less common than it is made out to be online. The fact of the matter is that the hemi is literally on its last leg. They're not gonna drop much more money trying to rectify an issue that affects a small percentage of their overall customer base. Especially since we know that it's being replaced by the new i6 turbo engines and an EV.

I just think you have paralysis by analysis. I say that from a place of being very similar. So I honestly do understand lol. I'm in the market for a new commuter next yr and really like what kia and Hyundai are doing .However, similar to you I get kinda spooked by the old history and some smaller current goofs they've had.
Paralysis by analysis - love it! You make good points and I appreciate the input from your experiences. I had a black 2015 Silverado LTZ Custom Sport that I absolutely loved. It had the 6.2 with the 8 speed as a consequence. That transmission was just plain garbage, and is why I won't even consider another GM product. I also have no interest in the GM-Ford co-developed 10 speed. The 8 speed in the Rams are what drove me this direction. They seem quite trouble-free, and while admittedly, the 8 speed in my JL Rubicon was smooth and trouble free, I realize it was probably a slightly different model than what's in the Ram. The manifold problem isn't that much of a bother too me assuming it doesn't crop up too soon. I'm not at all adverse to installing aftermarket smog legal headers in due time. I think it's today's sticker shock that gets me most. If there were still being discounted like the good ol' days (not too long ago) I'd probably be more tolerant of things. No point in living in fear. Enjoy the goodness and roll with the times.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Asked for an oil change kid to listen for the puffing at 28k, turned down. Called for the appt middle of June, for earliest date of July 20, got an oil change about July 5 at 34k, she says she did me a favor cuz I’m at 36,1k. I say No, you have a record of the miles at oil change after appt was already scheduled. Oh.

All seems to be going well. A/C recharged? probably don’t need the TSB for MI, and TSB software update for stalling and S/S button light.The little things were taken care of, but the left manifold will be a few weeks, she says the factory is shipping sporadically. That’s fine, my last truck was puffing for probably 6 years.
So it would’ve been sometime in April or May for the 28k oil change I asked them to look, finally got the look scheduled for 7/20, no parts, ordered and blind scheduled for first available Sept 13. I asked the wife why she scheduled without the parts in, she said if she waited till parts came in, they would be scheduling into December. Fingers crossed for supply chain.

smoedog

Reaction score
How are you guys getting appointments for these manifolds. I have gone to 4 different dealers around me and none of them will give an appointment. All of them state, drop it off and we will get to it when we can. Could be 3-4 days or 2 weeks...and of course none of them have loaners. 1 have 6k miles left on my powertrain and another 50 on my extended but this is ridiculous.

Duran

Reaction score
How are you guys getting appointments for these manifolds. I have gone to 4 different dealers around me and none of them will give an appointment. All of them state, drop it off and we will get to it when we can. Could be 3-4 days or 2 weeks...and of course none of them have loaners. 1 have 6k miles left on my powertrain and another 50 on my extended but this is ridiculous.
I tell you how i got mine. I got denied saying i dont have a exhaust leak. When the neighbors could hear me coming.

So over time i made friends with the maitnance supervisor , each oil change id go in and chop.it up with him. Little time later i told him he knew alot more then i did about cars and asked if he could verify my suspicion of an exhaust leak. Kinda had to kiss a little *** but lo and be hold not 1 but 2 new manifolds installed under warrenty.

Other wise its damn near impossible. Plus now i have a friend at the dealer. Win win.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen this switch lately at other businesses, so it doesn’t surprise me. They really don’t know how many or what level of tech they will employ tomorrow, so very hard to schedule out the future. My selling dealer was scheduled out to December if I waited for the manifold to actually come in stock. I made an appt for September hoping they will get one in for me. Ramcares has suggested trying other dealers. Good luck, might have to somehow bite the bullet and leave it.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made an appointment for the manifold leak and swaybar endlinks clunking at the selling dealership. I had a video on my phone of both happening to showed the Service Manager when I dropped her off. They called me about an hour or so later to tell me parts were on order (New part # Manifold kit and new part # swaybar endlinks) and to come get my truck. This was April and they said parts were on BO, might be in, in a few months. Manifolds showed up in June and installed a few days later. I'm still waiting on the endlinks.

Furbz217

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question so I recently got a manifold leak on the passenger side for now. I'm at 37k miles right now my warranty is expired. Will ram replace the manifolds? Any pointers on how to fix my problem. I got my ram in March 2020 thanks for the information in advance.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question so I recently got a manifold leak on the passenger side for now. I'm at 37k miles right now my warranty is expired. Will ram replace the manifolds? Any pointers on how to fix my problem. I got my ram in March 2020 thanks for the information in advance.

I believe I read the exhaust manifold and bolts are covered under the powertrain warranty, which is 5 years / 60K on your RAM. If that's correct, you should be covered under your factory powertrain warranty since you are under the mileage and your truck is only 2 years old.

Call your service advisor to confirm.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, has anyone had their replacement manifolds leak or bolts break? Is this just an OEM swap out, or is there really a difference in the parts, and not just a rev change on the same ole parts? Anyone found reasonable $ shorties available yet? Like to keep my eyes on the horizon...

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Just got mine replaced. Said under warranty. I have 50K miles and they said I am covered to 60K miles. They replaced the whole exhaust manifold kit. Here are the parts that they replaced: 68591572-AA & 68591573-AA. No more clicking.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Here is a potential solution for the ongoing manifold cracks. On this truck both manifolds cracked.

The only tool I know how to use...
IMG_0041.jpg

...And done, time for beer o'clock.
IMG_0046.jpg
If you read this far, once all the bolts (and a couple custom studs) were tightened, no more exhaust leaks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is a potential solution for the ongoing manifold cracks. On this truck both manifolds cracked.

The only tool I know how to use...
View attachment 138001

...And done, time for beer o'clock.
View attachment 138002
If you read this far, once all the bolts (and a couple custom studs) were tightened, no more exhaust leaks.
Nicely done. Any trouble with the bolts? I'm so afraid one of them would break off in the head. 😬

Vulpes

Reaction score
Nicely done. Any trouble with the bolts? I'm so afraid one of them would break off in the head. 😬
No broken bolts, it appears that the new fangled steel plates that run horizontal on the top and bottom bolt holes of the manfiold mostly stop the bolts from shearing off in the heads, they just cause the manifolds to crack right down the middle. I was prepared for broken bolts and gave myself two to three days just in case, but I lucked out, maybe that and my blood sacrifice 😆 from a skinned knuckle to the RAM 🐏 worked.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
FYI,

AFE has a Labor Day sale on the shorty headers right now. Great price for a bolt on replacement for failing cast iron manifolds.

AFE Twisted Steel Headers

Jack.

Reaction score
FYI,

AFE has a Labor Day sale on the shorty headers right now. Great price for a bolt on replacement for failing cast iron manifolds.

AFE Twisted Steel Headers
I recently got those afe headers. The only thing about those headers is on every cold start you will hear ticks, at first I though it was leaking but after many hrs of checking, smoke test, reinstalling, new gaskets etc It appears it is just how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread