5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked mine up yesterday from having the driver's side manifold & install kit done. Seems to have fixed the issue, but I haven't done a cold start yet. 100% covered under powertrain warranty, no loaner needed so did not ask, and they were finished in 4-5 hours. They said it was the updated manifold and install kit, if that means anything to anyone. Could just have been blowing smoke up my *** too. :ROFLMAO:

**Issue was reported and confirmed at the Dealership back the end of April, parts finally came in last week.

Last edited:

Duran

Reaction score
Hahahaha never heard of it been called the install kit. I guess what ever makes them feel better. My manifolds should be in tomorrow. I am anxious. Im tired of hearing that noise with my wondows down driving by curbs and that loud annoying noise on cold start ups.

Ill be glad to give a report after the install

shlunky

Reaction score
Just as a follow up: Had two cold starts, two 40 mile plus drives, and misc other shorter drives / warm starts yesterday. She's quiet as can be.

That is good news.
Let's hope someone from my home dealership actually picks up the phone or calls me back so I can get the process started.

Why do dealerships have to suck so bad? I don't understand why they call it a "service department" when that is the one thing you seem to never receive.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got mine scheduled in yesterday for the manifold leak, and a few other things. Scheduled and wrote on the night drop envelope that it has a "cold exhaust leak". Lot boy drives it around and brings it into the service building and by then, "can't find anything". Wouldn't the service advisor tell the tech to go out and listen to cold start up? You don't even need the hood up to hear how bad it is, and that it comes from the drivers side. I leave earlier in the a.m. than my wife, but once lately she was outside when it started, and asked if anything was wrong with the truck. Maybe the wife needs to go show the tech? In his bay overnite, should hear it this a.m.? Fingers crossed, but ready for the disappointment. Keep getting surveys from this dealership, but I'll probably start looking for another for service. Too bad, I bought it here, and they were really nice and helpful, till it needed service, then won't do anything. The dealer near my house has a much worse rep, and another near my work says "I didn't buy it there". Nice truck new, but it's like buying a chinese motorcycle; what are you gonna do when it needs service?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finally got mine scheduled in yesterday for the manifold leak, and a few other things. Scheduled and wrote on the night drop envelope that it has a "cold exhaust leak". Lot boy drives it around and brings it into the service building and by then, "can't find anything". Wouldn't the service advisor tell the tech to go out and listen to cold start up? You don't even need the hood up to hear how bad it is, and that it comes from the drivers side. I leave earlier in the a.m. than my wife, but once lately she was outside when it started, and asked if anything was wrong with the truck. Maybe the wife needs to go show the tech? In his bay overnite, should hear it this a.m.? Fingers crossed, but ready for the disappointment. Keep getting surveys from this dealership, but I'll probably start looking for another for service. Too bad, I bought it here, and they were really nice and helpful, till it needed service, then won't do anything. The dealer near my house has a much worse rep, and another near my work says "I didn't buy it there". Nice truck new, but it's like buying a chinese motorcycle; what are you gonna do when it needs service?
They should also be able to see the cracks by removing the heat shields

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropped off Tuesday night for Wednesday appt. Might be able to look at it Monday....

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If nothing else they could at least lift the body a bit and look thru the wheelwell at the manifold. Any backyard mechanic will be able to see bolt heads missing on the manifold or at the very least hear, feel or even smell the exhaust coming from the warped or cracked manifold.

Switch22

Reaction score
Let me get this right - you have the manifold leak problem on a one year old truck?!! Totally unacceptable given what we have to pay for these now days. I'm still debating whether to take delivery when mine arrives. It shipped two days ago, so not much time to finalize my decision. Any regrets?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know if I ever recorded mine here. 🤪 Mine cracked at approx 25k miles, don't remember exactly. Haven't brought it up to the dealer because, honestly, it would end up being a passive aggressive sparring debate on if they were REALLY bad, if they're covered, blah, blah, blah. I'll get to the end of warranty with the cold tick and change them for aftermarket. Sad I have to wait on the lifter warranty to properly fix anything.

Let me get this right - you have the manifold leak problem on a one year old truck?!! Totally unacceptable given what we have to pay for these now days. I'm still debating whether to take delivery when mine arrives. It shipped two days ago, so not much time to finalize my decision. Any regrets?
I guess I’m going for cast iron now and shorties after warranty. It would’ve been a year, but I ride a motorcycle during the summer and the first winter my old truck, so yeah, I put on the miles. I actually need it back this week fixed or not to tow a camper next week.

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Well, I guess I am in this boat too.... Exhaust seemed real loud on passenger side. Truck has 65k on it. Dealer looked at it 2 weeks ago, head tech walked out to my truck and instantly said both sides were cracked. Parts not available until end of June. Luckily, I have an extended warranty.
Both sides got repaired last week. All looks and sounds good. Total was $890 of which I paid $100 due to ext warranty. We will see how long these last......

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you read too many forums tbh. Spend any time on any vehicle forum and you'll find it littered with people with issues. Enthusiasts are the only ones who post good things about their vehicles. Joe down the road doesn't care to talk about his vehicle until he has issues with it.

This is a pretty well known issue with the hemi. They upgraded the bolts because that was the old issue but now the bolts are too strong so the manifold is more prone to cracking.

I still haven't taken mine in for my issue. I'm on vacation next week so I'll probably get around to it.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Asked for an oil change kid to listen for the puffing at 28k, turned down. Called for the appt middle of June, for earliest date of July 20, got an oil change about July 5 at 34k, she says she did me a favor cuz I’m at 36,1k. I say No, you have a record of the miles at oil change after appt was already scheduled. Oh.

All seems to be going well. A/C recharged? probably don’t need the TSB for MI, and TSB software update for stalling and S/S button light.The little things were taken care of, but the left manifold will be a few weeks, she says the factory is shipping sporadically. That’s fine, my last truck was puffing for probably 6 years.

Bob.

Reaction score
Co-worker has 1500 Lamerie, possibly a 2020. I hear him drive by me at work as he is leaving for the day. He has a cracked manifold no question. Sad really. Truck sounds so junky with the leaky manifold.
I'm getting paranoid. Whenever I fire my truck up, I listen for an exhaust leak now...

Dewey

Reaction score
Co-worker has 1500 Lamerie, possibly a 2020. I hear him drive by me at work as he is leaving for the day. He has a cracked manifold no question. Sad really. Truck sounds so junky with the leaky manifold.
I'm getting paranoid. Whenever I fire my truck up, I listen for an exhaust leak now...
Get a loud exhaust. Then you never hear it.😆

Bob.

Reaction score
Get a loud exhaust. Then you never hear it.😆
I changed my muffler with the B2 "quiet" muffler. I changed the tail pipe tips also.

If I crack a manifold,
I expect a problem with my wonderful dealer because of it. They will dance around and say I broke the manifold because I changed the muffler. Well that's my luck most of the time...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I changed my muffler with the B2 "quiet" muffler. I changed the tail pipe tips also.

If I crack a manifold,
I expect a problem with my wonderful dealer because of it. They will dance around and say I broke the manifold because I changed the muffler. Well that's my luck most of the time...

Yeah, I also changed the muffler, my service advisors only advice when getting one was that he commends welded in installation over direct-fit, so the clamp doesn't come lose, and not to mess or weld anything to the catalytic converter.

I wonder if he will change his tune if I come in for an exhaust manifold bolt(s). "Oh, we determined this well-known issue with these trucks was instead your fault for changing the muffler and causing the exhaust to vibrate differently, yada yada yada".

Users who are viewing this thread