5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Cutouts on Rebel?

ryco25

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Rebel a few days ago and already have the itch to start some modifications. The Hemi needs an exhaust, but this truck is so incredibly refined and pleasant to drive around that I don't want to ruin it with an obnoxiously loud exhaust that drones everywhere.

I came from a Hemi powered Grand Cherokee that I had a Flowmaster 40, resonator delete, and CAI on and although I loved it to death, the contrast of the Rebel's refined and quiet cabin is so nice. That being said, I am looking into doing a QTP electronic cutout placed before the muffler, so I can have that insane sound when I want to smile, and with the push of a button, have that quiet cabin for cruising around incognito.

Has anybody had any experience with cutouts on their Ram? It seems like a win-win to me at this point, and something that is easy to revert to stock when it comes time to sell the vehicle. Thoughts?

Video of this setup on a '14 Ram for reference:

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9262.jpg
    IMG_9262.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59

ryco25

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing - somehow didn't see this one.

Question for anyone - this one appeared to be installed between the cat and the muffler - is there any argument to move the cat further back and install the cutout before? I just climbed under my truck and it looks like it would probably have to move 12-18" further back to accommodate the Y pipe for the cutout. I assume moving the cat further back will mean louder sound when open, but will it have any negative effects? Thoughts?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing - somehow didn't see this one.

Question for anyone - this one appeared to be installed between the cat and the muffler - is there any argument to move the cat further back and install the cutout before? I just climbed under my truck and it looks like it would probably have to move 12-18" further back to accommodate the Y pipe for the cutout. I assume moving the cat further back will mean louder sound when open, but will it have any negative effects? Thoughts?

Argument 1: Federal Emissions Standards

It'll be plenty loud with the cutout after the cat. I'd be worried about not enough back pressure with them open before the cat, you'll probably notice a pretty big drop in low end torque with them open regardless, but it will me maximized (biggest drop) with them before the cats.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I have cut-outs on my 06' SRT8 Charger and they are after the cats. That is plenty loud. Had it dyno'd with them closed and open. Best money I've ever spent, will be putting them on my Ram too. Dyno (Charger).jpg

ryco25

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info - appreciate it. Ordering them within the next week - I'll post videos once I get them installed at some point in January!

Flot

Reaction score
I had a raceland cutout installed on my previous (2011) Hemi Ram. It was great fun and I thought much more reasonable than a loud muffler all the time. Unfortunately the motor died sometime in year 2, I replaced it, and it died again.

I had a local muffler shop weld it in for $75 or $100 and they did a flawless job. Nobody every noticed it under the truck, when I sold it I just unplugged the electronics and tossed them.

The raceland unit had a wireless remote which was nice - however I read somewhere that the QTP was compatible with the homelink garage door buttons. THAT would be trick, being able to open/close the exhaust using the overhead buttons.

ryco25

Reaction score
Got my cutout installed this morning...and I LOVE it. A full catback may have sounded better, but being able to go back to complete stock, refined sound is super nice. Will make video clips in coming days and post. IMG_1046.jpg

dsmgsx916

Reaction score
Got my cutout installed this morning...and I LOVE it. A full catback may have sounded better, but being able to go back to complete stock, refined sound is super nice. Will make video clips in coming days and post. View attachment 13605
Any news on how it's working out for you? I know it's only been a day, but I'm dying to know.

robe2388

Reaction score
Got my cutout installed this morning...and I LOVE it. A full catback may have sounded better, but being able to go back to complete stock, refined sound is super nice. Will make video clips in coming days and post. View attachment 13605
I will be doing this for sure in the future! Can't beat going back to a quiet cabin with the push of a button. Post a video soon please!

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Looks good! I've just got all my parts in for mine, once I have time I'll install them.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Finally Finished my install today. Sounds great. Couple pictures of them and switched mounted under steering wheel.
IMG_0301[501].jpg IMG_0302[503].jpg IMG_0303[505].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread