5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely true. You could say the same thing about pretty much every system on most new vehicles now. Everything is computer controlled, and even the simplest part failing could render your car/truck useless. Etorque definitely wasn't something I wanted. It just wasn't enough of a deal-breaker to keep me from buying a truck with etorque, if it had everything else I wanted.
Honestly, it doesn’t add much complexity, aside from a second battery and some programming. It’s just a generator vs. an alternator.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...wow, with the exception of getting absolute **** gas mileage, mine has been fine..

Good luck with a resolution.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, it doesn’t add much complexity, aside from a second battery and some programming. It’s just a generator vs. an alternator.
I can't speak for your knowledge of programming. And I mean no offense in saying this. But what you see as just a generator vs. and alternator, does in fact add a lot of complexity. The simple act of adding a system which is controlled by a computer, which is run by software (or firmware), adds a lot of complexity to any product. Software is inherently buggy. And at any point in the life of the system, any one of those bugs can cause the system to malfunction. I test embedded firmware for a living. This firmware controls protective devices which protect electrical power systems. It's very important that these products work correctly because if they fail the power goes out. This can cost our customers millions of dollars, and can even be life threatening in some circumstances. We spend thousands of hours testing this firmware when we are developing a new product. Sometimes tens of thousands of hours. Even after all that testing, products still make it out the door with bugs. There's no way to eliminate them. We can only hope to minimize their impact. Granted, the etorque system on our trucks is not being designed to the standards or complexity of the products I test. But to say it's not adding much complexity tells me you don't really know what goes into something like this. It's so much more than just a generator vs an alternator.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
I can't speak for your knowledge of programming. And I mean no offense in saying this. But what you see as just a generator vs. and alternator, does in fact add a lot of complexity. The simple act of adding a system which is controlled by a computer, which is run by software (or firmware), adds a lot of complexity to any product. Software is inherently buggy. And at any point in the life of the system, any one of those bugs can cause the system to malfunction. I test embedded firmware for a living. This firmware controls protective devices which protect electrical power systems. It's very important that these products work correctly because if they fail the power goes out. This can cost our customers millions of dollars, and can even be life threatening in some circumstances. We spend thousands of hours testing this firmware when we are developing a new product. Sometimes tens of thousands of hours. Even after all that testing, products still make it out the door with bugs. There's no way to eliminate them. We can only hope to minimize their impact. Granted, the etorque system on our trucks is not being designed to the standards or complexity of the products I test. But to say it's not adding much complexity tells me you don't really know what goes into something like this. It's so much more than just a generator vs an alternator.

Can you rebuild my system lol it may work then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen too many posts expressing eTorque fears, and my reaction is that this P0 hybrid system is a relatively simple packaged system. There are millions of hybrids (and fully-electric) vehicles on the road, and the majority have more integrated systems (P1+).

To be clear...I never stated the programming of this system was simple. I agree with your points on the importance of getting it right. And I might know a little more about this than you are presuming ;)

But in terms of physical hardware, it’s just not that much more complicated than that which it replaces. As such, I’m a big fan of this tech as a step in the right direction for FCA.

GaryT

Reaction score
38K miles on mine, problem free so far. Average 20mpg combined driving, 24 with extended highway use. I am so used to it now that it seems odd when I drive my Challenger and it doesnt shut off when I stop.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
Still nothing!

I was told that, service manager was off u til next week. And the girl I talked to they had no idea I had a vehicle there?. Still no loaner vehicle @RAM @RamCares yeah okay; they need to change their name. I’d love to be able to talk to the CEO, COO,CFO of FCA, RAM, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep. If I didn’t do my job while in the military one of my brothers wouldn’t return home. (Family) we get these packets saying welcome to the FCA family after purchasing a vehicle I got one for the Jeep and Truck, which really needs to state thanks for buying, if there is an issue or problem well that’s your problem but thanks for the check

2nd idea*

Top dogs of the manufacturer and dealerships:
Since they all get a vehicle to take home give them the ones that don’t work like mine. Have them try to get back and fourth to work, home, appointments, trips with kids. (I can’t even get to my VA Appointments now because of this crap). Then put the damn thing in the shop and tell them (oh wait don’t tell them ****)!*** make them walk to work or drive the things until they brake down on the side of the road. And have them call the customer care center for them to also do absolutely nothing. But email the dealership what a joke!. @RamTrucks @chrysler

Tazithman

Reaction score
Yeah,
So I’m still waiting for a loaner.... it’s been over a week I’ve had to call RAM customer care send emails and still have got nothing; besides “they would look into it” I bought a $60,000 truck what’s there to look into. I’m a disabled Veteran with 3 kids and my wife is a RN that works nights. I need a vehicle Incase there were something to happen at home; I guess I’ll just carry kids on my arms with one working leg: totally fine thanks RAM such “care” loose quotes. I’ve had 4 ram 1500’s, a Jeep Cherokee, grand Cherokee& and 2019 wrangler JLU. This is crap! I haven’t gotten any calls from dealer I’ve had to call them for updates?. Yeah that doesn’t seem right wonder if I should be on their payroll I mean I’m paying for a truck to sit in a lot and I’m getting absolutely no sort of urgency or care with this. Thanks FCA (y):poop:
Sounds like your dealer is slacking. My truck is in the shop for about a week waiting for a new transmission control module and the dealer has called me every day. I did have to wait 2 days for a loaner to be available but I have multiple vehicles so I didn't really need it, but the loaner is through the dealer, not FCA. On the bright side, they are going to flash my trailer brake controller for free when they hook up to program the new TCM for my troubles.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Still nothing!

I was told that, service manager was off u til next week. And the girl I talked to they had no idea I had a vehicle there?. Still no loaner vehicle @RAM @RamCares yeah okay; they need to change their name. I’d love to be able to talk to the CEO, COO,CFO of FCA, RAM, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep. If I didn’t do my job while in the military one of my brothers wouldn’t return home. (Family) we get these packets saying welcome to the FCA family after purchasing a vehicle I got one for the Jeep and Truck, which really needs to state thanks for buying, if there is an issue or problem well that’s your problem but thanks for the check

2nd idea*

Top dogs of the manufacturer and dealerships:
Since they all get a vehicle to take home give them the ones that don’t work like mine. Have them try to get back and fourth to work, home, appointments, trips with kids. (I can’t even get to my VA Appointments now because of this crap). Then put the damn thing in the shop and tell them (oh wait don’t tell them ****)!*** make them walk to work or drive the things until they brake down on the side of the road. And have them call the customer care center for them to also do absolutely nothing. But email the dealership what a joke!. @RamTrucks @chrysler

Look at your state’s lemon laws as most have a 3rd time OR 30 days out of service. Sounds like you are well on your way to 30 days unfortunately.

Last edited:

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
Look at your state’s lemon laws as most have a 3rd time OR 30 days out of service. Sounds you are well on your way to 30 days unfortunately.

27 days; just got truck back. We will see how this goes hopefully that solves the issue and everything is good. Not holding my breath

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d suggest never using that dealer for service again...seems like they dropped the ball most of all.

steveved

Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing what dealer that is... So I can avoid them at all costs...

steveved

Reaction score
By the way, your experience with Ram Doesn't Care is not unique. I have yet to see them actually help anyone. I think them being here is just a "feel good" move by Ram.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, your experience with Ram Doesn't Care is not unique. I have yet to see them actually help anyone. I think them being here is just a "feel good" move by Ram.
I don't think you're being fair with this statement. Sure there are threads full of people complaining about not getting the help they wanted from Ram Cares. That's the nature of forums, people come here to complain. I've also seen plenty of posts with people thanking Ram Cares for the assistance they provided in getting a problem resolved. You need to remember that they are here to help us, but ultimately their allegiance is to FCA. They don't have the manpower to go to each of the dealerships to investigate our complaints. They have to rely on dealerships and their service advisors for information. If anything, the problem lies with bad dealerships. I'm not sure exactly what you expect them to do, nor do I know if you've ever had any first-hand experience with them. But from what I've read, they have helped a lot of people out. This is a forum. And people are much more likely to post about a bad experience than they are to post about a good experience. People often complain when things don't go the way we want, and don't say much when things go well.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
Well..... so much for that had the truck back for a week after installation of new parts and here it is once again. this is the 3rd time now with 1800 miles on the truck. I give up lol.
1621183e9db7f43584222f076c774fe8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread