5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque? Worth it?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too funny, I just calculated that myself and was going to post it. So if my wife drives it we will get to the break even point in 4 years, for me in about 8. And there is something to be said for the remark my trucker brother in law had, 'just another expensive part that can break'. Then again, he is very old school.

There is truth in what your brother-in-law says, but it is also true that there is no turning back on complexity in vehicles.

First, you can hardly buy a "simple vehicle" any longer, unless it's a really old vehicle, which has its own set of issues (more likely to break down, more difficult to find parts, less comfortable, less safe, noisier, more pollution emitted, etc.)

Second, no company can meet emissions regulations or fuel-economy regulations without super-sophisticated, expensive control systems and, more and more these days, "helper systems" like hybrids, stop/start, etc. Of course all-electrics potentially can meet all of the regulations and still be "simpler" than combustion-engine vehicles, but so far all-electrics are still niche vehicles and certainly not yet ready for prime-time when it comes to truck drivetrains. And then there is the huge matter of how the electric power grid could possibly support a large-scale conversion from internal-combustion vehicles to all-electric vehicles.

Third, because eTorque is an integral part of the emission control and fuel economy the vehicle is rated at, the government requires that those emissions-related items be warranted for, in general, far longer than the basic vehicle warranty. Trucks are in a different class than cars, but, as one example, the hybrid batteries in vehicles like the Prius are warranted for 150,000 miles (I don't know what the warranty time period is). So even though eTorque does add complexity, it is possible that it might not be an added maintenance cost, because of the government-mandated longer warranty period.

Not trying to be argumentative, just looking at it from another angle.

Bas

Reaction score
There is truth in what your brother-in-law says, but it is also true that there is no turning back on complexity in vehicles.

First, you can hardly buy a "simple vehicle" any longer, unless it's a really old vehicle, which has its own set of issues (more likely to break down, more difficult to find parts, less comfortable, less safe, noisier, more pollution emitted, etc.)

Second, no company can meet emissions regulations or fuel-economy regulations without super-sophisticated, expensive control systems and, more and more these days, "helper systems" like hybrids, stop/start, etc. Of course all-electrics potentially can meet all of the regulations and still be "simpler" than combustion-engine vehicles, but so far all-electrics are still niche vehicles and certainly not yet ready for prime-time when it comes to truck drivetrains. And then there is the huge matter of how the electric power grid could possibly support a large-scale conversion from internal-combustion vehicles to all-electric vehicles.

Third, because eTorque is an integral part of the emission control and fuel economy the vehicle is rated at, the government requires that those emissions-related items be warranted for, in general, far longer than the basic vehicle warranty. Trucks are in a different class than cars, but, as one example, the hybrid batteries in vehicles like the Prius are warranted for 150,000 miles (I don't know what the warranty time period is). So even though eTorque does add complexity, it is possible that it might not be an added maintenance cost, because of the government-mandated longer warranty period.

Not trying to be argumentative, just looking at it from another angle.
Valuable info and pretty much mirrors my view. If I am going with the ram I will go with the etorque engine, I really liked the way that truck drove yesterday.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just test drove a Laramie with this engine; the sales person didn't seem to know too much about it. I know how to drive a car and that is about it; so should I cough up the 2200 or so or is it not worth it? In the near future we are planning on getting a 25 - 30 foot trailer and I think this might help when starting to drive. Thanks for any insights.
so the answer is no lol

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find most people interested in eTorque have misguided intentions of getting a faster or more powerful truck. Ram has done a poor job in advertising and explaining to the consumer what the advantages of the system are. If I was towing, I'd have invested in it for that reason only.

My interest in eTorque is the longterm durability and efficiency of the system and that's when you have to have blind faith in these early days.

But for those of you doing a lot of towing, you would benefit the most.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the etorque came about mainly because we are going to see stop/start mandatory.

I have no idea if this is true, but seems that way to me.

The biggest thing Ram seems to be touting is the seemless stop start. The 130 lb ft of torque is what helps the truck seemless start moving while the truck is starting.

I know nothing about 48v systems, but since the etorque takes the place of the altenator, I wonder if it helps with all the charge for all the new gadgets.

I really don't think the etorque was really meant to save gas.

I feel it was meant to make start/stop more seemless, make shifting more seemless, and help with added electrical need.

Just my thoughts...I know nothing really about it

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smoother shifts under towing conditions and the power assist on take off would save a bit of fuel while towing compared to a plain jane Hemi. I thought at first it was mostly start/stop as well, but it's a bit more complicated and that's why I'm interested in seeing the longterm data as these trucks start working in the wild.

anthtony

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread but sharing here as well since it's a great convo :) :

I went to a different local dealer today to test drive a V8 with e-torque. I don't like it. Mainly because I still don't like stop/start. I will say, it is smoother than most stop/start systems I have driven, but I still am just not a fan of it. The feature can be overridden so it doesn't turn itself off, but you have to do it EVERY TIME you start the truck (and as far as I know there is no way to program around it). I would guess that of the 2mpg 'bump' you get with e-torque, at least 25% of this is from start/stop.

For me, the e-torque definitely isn't worth the price premium...

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread but sharing here as well since it's a great convo :) :

I went to a different local dealer today to test drive a V8 with e-torque. I don't like it. Mainly because I still don't like stop/start. I will say, it is smoother than most stop/start systems I have driven, but I still am just not a fan of it. The feature can be overridden so it doesn't turn itself off, but you have to do it EVERY TIME you start the truck (and as far as I know there is no way to program around it). I would guess that of the 2mpg 'bump' you get with e-torque, at least 25% of this is from start/stop.

It used to be an $800 USD premium (much better value), then they increased it to $1450. :rolleyes:

M

MJB4450

FYI, there is a company that makes modules that will keep the start/stop, eco, and sport modes on vehicles at whatever setting you want. It simply disables the "on" default settings and those functions will stay at whatever condition you left them at until you push the start/stop button again to enable the system. The company is Smart Stop/start. They make units for Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and GM vehicles but don't show for the new Rams. But I'm sure they will produce them eventually. This devise is popular with the Jeep Grand Cherokee guys.

Kaz

Reaction score
I just test drove a Laramie with this engine; the sales person didn't seem to know too much about it. I know how to drive a car and that is about it; so should I cough up the 2200 or so or is it not worth it? In the near future we are planning on getting a 25 - 30 foot trailer and I think this might help when starting to drive. Thanks for any insights.

We went fully loaded on the wife’s limited, and I felt the eT would be beneficial all around... better mileage (she drives pretty much within the metro area so all city with some bumper to bumper highway), we might tow occasionally, and I hoped resale would be better overall. Other than the price increase, I didn’t really see a negative...

Bas

Reaction score
You in US or Canada?
US. Someone explained to me it is a 2400 upgrade from the standard V6. I didn't realize that since I looked at the Laramie and the V6 is not an option.

Kaz

Reaction score
US. Someone explained to me it is a 2400 upgrade from the standard V6. I didn't realize that since I looked at the Laramie and the V6 is not an option.

Gotcha... when I first looked at '19 pricing only the Hemi and the eT were available for order.. pricing has changed a LOT since March.

anthtony

Reaction score
Gotcha... when I first looked at '19 pricing only the Hemi and the eT were available for order.. pricing has changed a LOT since March.
It has changed, and not for the better. I'm a bit confused on what dealers will do for those of us who ordered with lower prices but have since gone up during the build process. Do most dealers honor the price that was negotiated during the order process, even if prices go up between when the order was submitted and when the truck is delivered?

anthtony

Reaction score
FYI, there is a company that makes modules that will keep the start/stop, eco, and sport modes on vehicles at whatever setting you want. It simply disables the "on" default settings and those functions will stay at whatever condition you left them at until you push the start/stop button again to enable the system. The company is Smart Stop/start. They make units for Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and GM vehicles but don't show for the new Rams. But I'm sure they will produce them eventually. This devise is popular with the Jeep Grand Cherokee guys.
I emailed them this evening and the owner emailed me back very quickly. He said he is waiting to gauge interest on a start/stop preference recall unit before making one for the new Rams. Since the start/stop experience is supposed to be more refined he's not sure how many folks would be interested in the unit. If you are interested I'd suggest you email him/them! [email protected]

Kaz

Reaction score
It has changed, and not for the better. I'm a bit confused on what dealers will do for those of us who ordered with lower prices but have since gone up during the build process. Do most dealers honor the price that was negotiated during the order process, even if prices go up between when the order was submitted and when the truck is delivered?

What I have read is that dealers receive price protection from date of order; so if it goes up $1500 they may try and pawn it off on you, but they should be able to push back on FCA and make them honor the invoice price and thus honor the pricing they showed you at purchase.

When I ordered my Durango it went up $80 from the date I ordered to the date delivered... I wasn't going to argue over $80. Now $1500-$2000? Hell yeah I'm going to argue.

Users who are viewing this thread